+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Your work's not up to scratch

Wow

This article made me slightly mad.

Some highlights include:

"surely no working mother can be as competent in her career as she was pre-children – at least no working mother who still wants to see her children and doesn’t have a house-husband or live-in nanny".

AND

"We can’t expect to compete with women who don’t have children or perform as well as we did pre-motherhood. It is disingenuous and self-defeating to try"

http://www.theage.com.au/small-busin...702-3b728.html

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

aquarius  (09-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ouch!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally I find my performance at work is a hell of a lot better now I have kids, especially since DD2 came along. My time management skills are 100x better than they ever were and I find I just do my work then leave, whereas before I was also there for the social side.

Sure, I take sick days for the girls but no more than the girl down the hall who takes them because she's hungover, or the man who is up watching World Cup (not generalizing here, these are people I know).

These types of articles really annoy me, especially when written by a woman. Maybe she should write one that encourages discussion on how to make work/life balance easier.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

aquarius  (09-07-2014),KitiK  (02-07-2014),MermaidSister  (18-07-2014),MsViking  (20-07-2014),sockstealingpoltergeist  (20-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    In regards to the working until all hours point... I have always questioned if that's valuable anyway? Sure the odd teleconference with different countries is ok... But in my previous job the constant late nights just meant everyone's work was sloppy and was constantly being redone.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (20-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    But I do agree that some industries/roles it's hard to go back to how things were prior to kids. Just a sign that more needs to be done to look after working parents.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (02-07-2014)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by btmac View Post
    Unfortunately I think that a woman's ability to maintain her professional momentum after children is very reliant on her personal circumstances (eg level of support from partner and family, child care options etc...) and the profession she is pursuing.

My career has completely stalled post DS2. Whether I will ever pick up momentum again or simply change careers I can't be sure. But for right now I simply cannot do everything at work that I used to do. Period. I cannot work until 10-11pm at night, weekends and jump on a plane at the drop of a hat. All of which was not only a frequent occurrence pre DS2 but a necessity in my chosen profession/field.

So I accept I will be flamed for this but the article has some good points. In particular the guilt I, and many other women feel because of the expectation that 'we' (being the royal we) can have it all. I'm not saying that some women can't have it all - but there is a lot going on in the background for that to happen. I suspect the women who have it all are the exception not the rule.

That's just my experience and my opinion.
    Do you have a partner? Why is it that fathers are often able to maintain these sort of work conditions? Because they are the men and their careers are more important.
    These opinions such as the one in the article give me the rage. She acknowledges that men don't have this issue, but instead of saying 'let's have a bit more equality' she says 'suck it up, ladies. Too bad, your career is over.'

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

aquarius  (09-07-2014),KitiK  (02-07-2014),kw123  (02-07-2014),MermaidSister  (18-07-2014),Mod-Nomsie  (02-07-2014),NancyBlackett  (02-07-2014),Tamtam  (03-07-2014),TheGooch  (20-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    These opinions such as the one in the article give me the rage. She acknowledges that men don't have this issue, but instead of saying 'let's have a bit more equality' she says 'suck it up, ladies. Too bad, your career is over.'
    Yeah! That's what p!$$es me off too. Women, especially those such as this author who is lucky enough to be able to share her opinion to a large audience, should be calling for these conditions to be changed. Not just saying "deal with it".

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

aquarius  (09-07-2014),KitiK  (02-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by btmac View Post
    Unfortunately I think that a woman's ability to maintain her professional momentum after children is very reliant on her personal circumstances (eg level of support from partner and family, child care options etc...) and the profession she is pursuing.
    I agree with this. In my current career (primary teacher) I can work part time and what I learn as a mother each day enriches the job that I can do. In my previous career (management) I could never change to part time, I would need to step down into a lower position, and even then part time might not be an option. Also, with DH currently working FIFO, there is no way I want to work full time. If he was here and could share the load each evening and weekend, then I would probably be wanting to work full time and put in some extra to advance as well.

I really resented the way she wrote the article as if she represented the majority of women. The field she works in is very small (eg. a small percentage of people with jobs are freelance journalists) and it is quite a unique work type. Not a place of employment that you go to each day, work, get paid, maybe take some reading home or do some emails late at night - the sorts of jobs that the majority of workers (male and female) do.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

aquarius  (09-07-2014),btmacxxx  (02-07-2014),snowqu33n  (11-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm as competent in my career as I was before but there is no way I could ever meet my sales targets or do the hours I did pre DS ( well I could but he would have to be in care until 8 pm every day and all day Saturdays ) as most of my clients want to see me when they get home from work - usually after 5.30pm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah but @btmac she doesn't mention specific careers, etc. She just says all women are less competent at their jobs after having babies. Of course that is true in some cases (like hers) but don't paint us all with the same brush! The author that is, not you!

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (02-07-2014),aquarius  (09-07-2014),btmacxxx  (02-07-2014),KitiK  (02-07-2014),NancyBlackett  (02-07-2014)