+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonlyem View Post
    I love my slow cooker. I use it for lamb shanks and silverside mostly. I'm not adventurous enough to have tried a curry in it yet. One thing I've discovered though is a timer for the power point. You can set your slow cooker to then switch on at any time of the day and your dinner will be ready for you when you get home! Most things only need 4-6hrs to cook in them, but man they are delicious.
    I was thinking about a timer the other day (mine doesn't have one), isn't it dangerous to leave meat out at room temperature for longer than 1 hour?

To OP, I have the Breville brand. I use it 1-2 times per week, mainly in the cooler months.
    I make:
    - Massaman curry
    - Shanks
    - Maryland chicken casserole
    - lentil soups or split pea
    - beef stroganoff
    - osso bucco
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 03-07-2014 at 04:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have one, I like it, but don't use it as much as I like to because you have to be organised!
    Also when I work I leave the house at 6am, so that's at least 12 hours before I would eat the meal and that's too long.

Mine is Morphy Richards; I don't like it because it doesn't have high/low settings at all, it's just all one setting, and the book doesn't even specify which one! So it was/is hard sometimes to know how long to cook for. But I got it from my Flybuys points so I can't complain too much I guess.

I feel I must point out though that it's not recommended (sorry PP's) to leave meat out unrefrigerated to start cooking on a timer. Nor is it recommended to cook a large piece of meat from frozen, as this takes too long to come up to temperature in the middle. Both are not good food safety practices.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yep. I use mine regularly. Love it!

I actually think it takes less organisation than other meals. I chop everything up, chuck it in and turn it on.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 03-07-2014 at 05:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use mine multiple times a week, it has a timer and then it switches automatically to keep warm for 4 hours which is fantastic for work.

My favourites in the SC are pulled pork, butter chicken, and bolognese.
    A few times a week I bake bread, focaccia, and cakes in there too.
    We put scrolls on for lunches every couple of days

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a sunbeam banquet - big square one. I got it as a gift. It is a bit big but I love slow cooker meals. I make a lot of packet ones. I also do a pepper steak pie - cook meat and gravy in slow cooker and then cover with puff pastry and finish in oven. I also have a tiny two serve one from tArget which I use to cook baby food and dinner when hubby is out of town and it's just me and ds1.

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonlyem View Post
    One thing I've discovered though is a timer for the power point. You can set your slow cooker to then switch on at any time of the day and your dinner will be ready for you when you get home.
    I guess that you'd only be using a timer to turn on during the day for vegetable soups, veggie curries and that sort of thing though? Not meals with chicken etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] biscotti View Post
    I guess that you'd only be using a timer to turn on during the day for vegetable soups, veggie curries and that sort of thing though? Not meals with chicken etc
    Nope I'll do it with shanks or silverside. Usually if it hasn't thawed completely I'll put everything in and by the time the timer clicks on the meat has defrosted and is still cold. I wouldn't do it with meat that's been cut up already and certainly not chicken because it comes up to room temp too quickly. As the slow cooker has an insulated pot, things stay cold for quite some time until it's turned on anyway.