+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, my now 5MO son was born as a result of a successful ballon catheter induction. Before they used it I had a S&S and two rounds of gel to no avail. Though uncomfortable it worked really well and I was 7cm dilated when it was removed and bub was born a few hours later.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tommi For This Useful Post:

Rozzie1976  (03-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    You said in your original post they would only allow you to go up to your due date and then it would be an automatic Caesar. That would imply that if the balloon catheter is going to be used, it would be before your due date.

If they do the balloon catheter, would they break your waters or would you have to do that on your own as well?

If you don't go into labour or labour stalls, then that will mean a Caesar also.

Also your hospital is making the choice not to use syntocinon for vbac's, other hospitals do.

Good luck anyway, but it doesn't sound like they're going to give the vbac a good chance unless you labour spontaneously before your due date.
    Yes at this stage they will not let me go over my due date. Having said that I won't be agreeing to any Induction until at least 39 weeks or later. I meet the Dr with my midwife around 38 weeks to discuss in more detail, etc.

Yes Meredith I know other hospitals use syntocin, I never said they didn't. But many do not for the increased risk of uterine rupture, and as I stated before being a low risk hospital, in a smaller town, this one does not offer it for VBACs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    I realise this, I'm just asking questions to understand the limitations that they are under which are seemingly quite restrictive.

OP if they use the balloon catheter are they happy to break your waters to start the contractions?

Why won't they let you go past your due date?
    Yes they would also break my waters if feasible. As stated I will know more at my 38 weeks appt.

As far as I'm aware, many or most Drs / Obs will not let you go past your due date / 40 weeks, when trying for a VBAC. Some let you go to 41 weeks, some only let you go to 39, and many including here are only giving me til 40 weeks.

As for restrictions I have found them much more flexible than Private hospitals I met in larger cities when it comes to VBACs so am grateful I am getting the chance to attempt it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Zooey - thanks for your story. If mine also ends in a Cesarean I will be happy to have tried, as long as bub gets to me safely I will be happy

Wise enough - that's exactly how it is is and I totally agree. I would rather the hospital be straight forward with me and tell me what they can/can't handle, as opposed to be promised or under the impression I could do one thing and then be sorely dissappointed when it comes to labour. If anything serious happens it is basically a flight out of here immediately to Rocky or Brisbane as they just aren't equipped to handle severe complications.

Ladadidah - thanks so much for sharing that gives me hope! And at 38 weeks, that's fantastic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozzie1976 View Post
    Zooey - thanks for your story. If mine also ends in a Cesarean I will be happy to have tried, as long as bub gets to me safely I will be happy

Wise enough - that's exactly how it is is and I totally agree. I would rather the hospital be straight forward with me and tell me what they can/can't handle, as opposed to be promised or under the impression I could do one thing and then be sorely dissappointed when it comes to labour. If anything serious happens it is basically a flight out of here immediately to Rocky or Brisbane as they just aren't equipped to handle severe complications.

Ladadidah - thanks so much for sharing that gives me hope! And at 38 weeks, that's fantastic.
    I should probably add mine ended in emergency CS but that was due to other complications with bub - we pretty much figured it would probably end that way but they wanted to try for an induction first, it just turned out she just wasn't strong enough for it after a couple of minutes on the drip!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LaDiDah View Post
    I should probably add mine ended in emergency CS but that was due to other complications with bub - we pretty much figured it would probably end that way but they wanted to try for an induction first, it just turned out she just wasn't strong enough for it after a couple of minutes on the drip!
    Thanks hun...if you don't mind me asking, why did they induce you at 38 weeks. Was it because of your PE? I'm hoping to have it done if needed as late as possible to give myself every chance of it all being a success.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozzie1976 View Post
    Thanks hun...if you don't mind me asking, why did they induce you at 38 weeks. Was it because of your PE? I'm hoping to have it done if needed as late as possible to give myself every chance of it all being a success.
    Yea pretty much - I was supposed to be induced at 37+3 but they were really busy and so they just kept monitoring bub, she was happy so they were happy to keep me under observation until they had some space. All went to sh!t on 37+6 as bubs HB wasn't doing what they wanted so they put the balloon in overnight. Like I said earlier they took it out in the morning and I was already dilated so they broke my waters and put me on the drip. 10 mins later bubs HB dropped drastically so off to theatre I went!
    If bub had continued to be happy under observation then they were going to leave it as long as they could before inducing while they were so busy :-)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

Rozzie1976  (04-07-2014)