+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Any success / stories using Balloon Catheter for Induction??

Hello,

Just after any info / success stories where the Foley or Balloon Catheter Method was used for Induction?

I am trying for a VBAC and they do not A. Induce you with drugs of any kind and must go into a spontaneous labour as it can otherwise cause greater risk of uterine rupture. And B. cannot give me anythign to speed labour up if I do go into labour on my own.

At my check up today they said we can possibly try the Catheter Balloon method to try and induce as the due date gets closer (they will also only let me go up until my due date and not over and if no labour it is an automatic C section being a low risk hospital).

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No success for me - as they couldn't get it in! I was induced at 37 weeks due to reduced movement and had 2 tape insertions which didn't work, then tried the balloon catheter but my cervix was high and closed and wasn't favourable.
    A friend had one though to induce when she was 5 days overdue and worked, she needed no further intervention.
    Hope all goes well for you

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mmumm For This Useful Post:

Rozzie1976  (02-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the Foley Catheter with my 2nd after an un-favourable reaction to prostaglandin with my 1st. I needed to be approx 1cm dialated which I was so they insterted it around 8:30pm. By 10:30pm I started having mild contractions. They lasted for about 4 hours then stopped. In the morning I was checked and was 3-4cm so they broke my waters and I went from there. I ended up going with the drip as well just to get things moving - I was so ready to have it going after it stopping during the night! DS was born 4 hours after having my waters broken.
    Good luck

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Redcorset For This Useful Post:

Rozzie1976  (02-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the info girls. I guess I'm just hoping if it does work things keep progressing as I can't be given the drip, etc to speed things along. Fingers Xd it helps if we do try it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have they ruled out a stretch and sweep? My hospital don't do balloons but for my vbac they would do a s&s. I was also lucky that they would let me go over and were open to small amounts of sun toxin once labour was established.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Rozzie1976  (02-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Amy - yes my midwife I remember saying back at an earlier appt they can do a stretch and sweep. I was thinking the same thing today and wondered what the difference is between a S&S and using the Balloon Catheter.

I have asked if allowed anything at all once I go into labour (if I get that far) and it's a definite no. They are a low risk hospital and have only been allowing VBACs for the last 9 mths, prior to that you had to travel to the nearest Private hospital 3 hrs drive away. It's just due to the chances of uterine rupture increasing, but am happy to not have anything to speed it up incase it results in a higher chance of an emergency c section.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Meredith - wow thanks for your passionate response! They are talking induction yes, but not necessarily before my due date as you suggested.

They are a low risk hospital, and actually no they do not give the drip to anyone at all trying for a vbac. They couldn't even allow vbac attempts until 9 months ago. Clearly if it hasn't been for my previous c section then yes they would giver that but it's a firm N O.

My midwife is actually very pro vbac and so far has been a great support, I was just after info on the balloon catheter and how successful it was as i want to explore all alternative induction methods obviously that don't involve drugs , prior to going in for a straight up cesarean.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced at 38 weeks for PE. They put ins balloon (cervix was high and closed) and then when they took it out in the morning I was already 4cm dilated so they were able to easily break my waters.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

Rozzie1976  (03-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    You said in your original post they would only allow you to go up to your due date and then it would be an automatic Caesar. That would imply that if the balloon catheter is going to be used, it would be before your due date.

If they do the balloon catheter, would they break your waters or would you have to do that on your own as well?

If you don't go into labour or labour stalls, then that will mean a Caesar also.

Also your hospital is making the choice not to use syntocinon for vbac's, other hospitals do.

Good luck anyway, but it doesn't sound like they're going to give the vbac a good chance unless you labour spontaneously before your due date.
    Other hospitals are probably better set up for this. As a low risk hospital they are working within their abilities and facilities. They sound very responsible.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Rozzie1976  (03-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    just thought I'd add my experience - 2 rounds of gel over 24 hours did nothing, they put in the foley at about 5pm, next day at 8am I was 3cm which was enough to get the drip going

my body & baby was just not ready though and I didn't dilate past 5cm after 6 hours from them breaking my waters & getting the drip. emergency Caesar due to bubs dropping heart rate and failure to dilate

no regrets though, I understood the risks. good luck xxx

16. The Following User Says Thank You to zooey For This Useful Post:

Rozzie1976  (03-07-2014)