+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Surrounded by barking dogs & baby due this week - how can I learn to sleep through it

Ok the barking dog problem around here is getting ridiculous. I've now counted at least 5 dogs that bark for a large majority of the day & one that barks during the night as well. Some of these belong to neighbours but some live in houses that are behind ours & I'm not 100% sure which yard they are in.

I can't do 5-6 noise diaries!! I don't have time for that. I have a baby due this week! And Council won't take any action unless I do noise diaries.

I'm reluctant to approach people about their dogs as I don't want to start WW3 with the neighbours we get along with & I'm anxious about approaching strangers (my dad almost got punched in the head doing that).

So will my baby be able to sleep through it?

And how can I learn to sleep through it? Unfortunately the dogs basically surround us so I can't even move to another room in the house. Some of them are big dogs so it's pretty loud - closing the windows & having a fan on doesn't work. I've also tried sleeping with a radio on but that doesn't work either. Obviously I can't wear earplugs when I have a baby.

At this point I can barely sleep at all during the day as if it's not one dog, its another (or all of them). I'm concerned how I'm going to look after a newborn if I'm not able to get any sleep during the day.

The thing that peeves me off the most is that some of the owners are home at the time & choose to just let their dog disrupt everyone else all day. Also, I've previously dobbed in one of the dogs behind us (the one that barks during the night) to Council before & the day I made the complaint the dog went silent for the next 3 months - therefore they know how to keep it quiet, they just can't be bothered!

How can I deal with this without starting a neighbourhood war, or without spending every day filling out 5 noise diaries, which will be completely impossible with a baby to look after?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    If the noise is there from day 1, your baby will know no different and sleep through it.
    As for yourself, I'm really not to sure what you can do. It's a frustrating situation.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (01-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How long do u have to spend doing noise diaries? If thats what council want to make a stop to it I would try do that before baby arrives..
    Otherwise drop notes (or post letters) to the houses telling them their dogs need to be kept quiet as its really disturbing your household . Dont sign ur name so it could have come from anyone.
    If you do go for earplugs you can always use a baby monitor close to your head. I did that with ds.. u can still hear with ear plugs but it dulls noises out..
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good to know that at least baby will be able to sleep through it! That will make it easier on me if at least one of us is getting some sleep.

Re the noise diaries, it's been a while since I've done one but I think it's daily over the space of a week or two. I will try & get them done before baby arrives but 5 of them is likely to be very time consuming & I have other things I need to do before bubby comes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you use a device on continuous recording for a couple of days?
    With 5 dogs, noice diaries aren't a feasible option. Maybe a letter/meeting with your local MP explaining the difficulty of the situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll try to find a device to record it - can anyone recommend something that would work well?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go on eBay and invest in an ultrasonic bark deterrer. They look like a bird house and cost around $80 but worth every cent! My neighbour's dog used to bark like a loony constantly and I got one - it took approximately 10 min for it to stop barking. All it does is emit a really high sound that the dogs don't like when they bark. So no pain and humans can't hear it. It should work for all the dogs around you. Good luck!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (01-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a similar problem. DH has been seriously considering one of these dog silencers

Not sure if it would actually work!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank-you ladies, im totally buying one of those! Hopefully it will work!

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think its worthwhile letting the owners know their dogs are barking during the day. If they are at work all day they wouldn't know. My dog barks when I am home (silly dog - its a protection thing I think) but I have actually asked my neighbours if she barks during the day and apparently she doesn't - but personally if she did I would prefer that my neighbours let me know before complaining to council about it.

If you don't feel comfortable approaching them directly, dropping a letter in their letterbox is a good start. Hopefully they will take notice and try and do something about it before you get the council involved.