+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Both nice areas, very leafy. Just do a bit of research about public transport options as I think you'll be limited to the bus services in both of those suburbs. The nearest train station is Indooroopilly.

Fig Tree Pocket, being on the river, was another suburb hit badly by flooding so definitely check out the flood maps before committing to anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    While both lovely suburbs, can I suggest doing a few peak-hour commutes (however you will get to work - car or bus) morning and night before settling? Everyone I know who lives at Kenmore loves it - until they have to go to the city, public transport is not very good in Brisbane unfortunately, particularly in the western suburbs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Love the south side of the Brisbane river... Lived there for 8 years... Annerley, Fairfield, yeronga, bulimia, hawthrowne, cannon hill, and lots more... South side I feel is much more relaxed than the north side,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I live in fig tree pocket and absolutely love it! Great suburb with an awesome small school. DS is in prep and is doing really well. Plenty of kindys nearby and also a long day care which I have heard great reviews about. We love the trees and wildlife and the kids love the parks. Kenmore, jindalee and the newly renovated indooroopilly shopping centre are all close.
    The commute into the city can be busy, but it think when the tunnel finishes it should ease some traffic. I used to work at The Wesley hospital which is on the outskirts of the city and it would take me 25 minutes in peak time (only 12 minutes in non-peak). I'd imagine you would need to add another 15 minutes or so to get into the city centre at peak time though....,

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a look on the transport website (translink?) and it looks like it's about 50 mins door to door to get to the cbd on the bus in peak hr. Which is ok. I am ok with up to an hr. We live 40 kms from the cbd in Sydney and door to door it was 1 hr 45 in the morning, so I ended up having to give up that job as was spending too much time commuting, but now I miss working in the city

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by infinita4 View Post
    I had a look on the transport website (translink?) and it looks like it's about 50 mins door to door to get to the cbd on the bus in peak hr. Which is ok. I am ok with up to an hr. We live 40 kms from the cbd in Sydney and door to door it was 1 hr 45 in the morning, so I ended up having to give up that job as was spending too much time commuting, but now I miss working in the city
    Ha ha what translink says and what happens are two VERY different things. I lived in Coorparoo and it's meant to take 15mins if that. At least once a week there was some delay that would cause significant issues. I remember it took over an hour and a half once. Most days I was looking at 25 mins.

To me 50mins ( in Brisbane terms) is a very long time.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

M'LadyEm  (25-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree, you need to test it out first and not rely on what translink says. From memory there are no bus lanes on those routes so it will depend on normal peak hour traffic - Moggil road in particular is a nightmare in peak hour. I'm not sure what parking near the station would be like, but catching the train from indro may be a better option?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We go out that way to seventeen mile rocks park all the time...
    It's a lovely area

Thanks
    Reviews
    For 1 million you may not get that much house value in places like Coorparoo, Norman park or Bulimba but they certainly have plenty to do and a great cafe scenes. On the south side I would recommend staying close to the bus stops of the busway - green slopes, holland park west, upper mt gravatt - you can get from these destinations to the city within 20 minutes on the busway in peak hour which makes a big difference when you need to pick up kids etc. also as these suburbs have direct access to the south east freeway which runs alongside the busway, will make the Gold Coast trips much quicker around 45 mins (but not in peak hour - peak hour is terrible). Holland park west is particularly lovely and would probably provide a great compromise between you and your husbands list if wants. You would get quite a Big Bang for your budget at upper mt gravatt but I would not go any further out if you still want to be more inner city. Public transport along Logan road (like from holland park etc) is not as efficient as what it is on the busway, but still probably much better than Sydney! The times on the trans link site do not account for traffic in peak hour!

on the northside I recommend wooloowin which has 2 train stations: eagle junction (trains to city every 10 minutes) and wooloowin (trains not quite as frequent but still excellent) you will be in the city within 10 minutes by train. Schools are fantastic - eagle junction state school, and many private options like clayfield college. Heaps of private girls schools in particular in the area - st Margaret's & st aidens. Clayfield C&k and Lyndhurst childcare Center are among the best available but wait lists are horrendously long. I have all boys so girls schools not relevant to me. Ascot and Hamilton are great suburbs to buy a home but more expensive and public transport not as convenient as wooloowin in my opinion.
    Last edited by Miniminka; 25-07-2014 at 21:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subbing. Moving to Brisbane also