+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonlyem View Post
    When you say "short commute" what are you thinking? Only because coming from Sydney I hear people commute up to an hour each way because of the traffic/cost of living close to the city.
    I can walk to the CBD in 20 mins from Paddington/Rosalie (same from New Farm) if you want to incorporate it into your exercise routine otherwise its only 10 mins by car or 15 mins by bus. From New Farm you can also catch a city cat (ferry) into the city.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Morningside, Bulimba, Hawthorne, Norman Park, Cannon Hill, Coorparoo, Seven Hills etc...easy commute to the city via ferry or train, lovely restaurants and cafes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by infinita4 View Post
    Thank you all for the suggestions! We are coming up this weekend for our first look around, so I think we are going to explore a circle with Bulimba, Cannon Hill, Carindale, Greenslops/Holland Park, and Coorparoo being on the outside, but also have a look at suburbs on the inside of that, if that makes sense. Probably stop and have some lunch or coffee on Oxford St. We are also going to go over and have a look at the Paddinton/Rosalie area, and then also Hamilton. We don't want to count out good options on the other side of the river, it'll just mean my MIL has to drive a bit futher!

I think the challenge will be that my husband and I prioritise different things, I am more concerned with convenient location/short commute and stuff to do around the area, and he's more concerned with having a big house with a decent land block and a swimming pool and garden. So we'll have to find something we can compromise on! Always the challenge with marriage!! In any case, we'll definitely be able to get more of our money than in Sydney....this is the most expensive place on earth.
    Cannon Hill does have rough elements in my opinion ( i judge areas by the local shopping centres and cannon hill is a dive).
    Start registering for childcare now, we've had our name down for over a year ( only have a 10month old) and still no luck.
    Holland Park SS is very good

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    Start registering for childcare now, we've had our name down for over a year ( only have a 10month old) and still no luck.
    This is a hugely positive thing about living further out. Sure the commute can suck but we have no issue getting childcare on the southside.

I cant help with inner city suburbs. I cant handle living in the hustle and bustle so we live out in the sticks

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    Cannon Hill does have rough elements in my opinion ( i judge areas by the local shopping centres and cannon hill is a dive).
    True about Cannon Hill shops haha. Doesn't stop me shopping there though as it's easier to get a park there on a Saturday rather than Carindale. In saying that, there's a Bunnings there and Carindale Westfield is 5min down the road. There are some nice houses in Cannon Hill though. I do some home visits through my job and have been surprised at some of the nice places I've been to in suburbs I'd considered divey and some dodgy places I've been to in "nice" suburbs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Morningside, Bulimba, Hawthorne, Norman Park, Cannon Hill, Coorparoo, Seven Hills etc...easy commute to the city via ferry or train, lovely restaurants and cafes.
    I also recommend the above suburbs. One thing to keep in mind in these areas is the flight path/s. We got caught out and ended renting a place on the direct flight path From my experience it has been hard getting a place at childcare for my two in these areas ... the really good centres have long wait lists. Good luck for ur move

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RipperRita View Post
    I live in the inner city... Paddington/Rosalie area. Technically it's on the wrong side of the bridge for you but I absolutely love the area. It's really community minded and for an inner city suburb it's quite relaxed with a village feel to it.
    You will get less land for your money in Paddington, but a much nicer lifestyle - it's a beautiful suburb close to everything and still has character.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    You will get less land for your money in Paddington, but a much nicer lifestyle - it's a beautiful suburb close to everything and still has character.
    I think it still has character because there are a lot of historical/original homes in the area. Nice that there are still some older homes out there!

OP, also thought maybe check out Yeronga/Yeerongpilly. There are some beautiful homes around there and not too far out of the city. The train line services those areas. Also if you like Tennis, you'll be within walking distance to the tennis centre

9. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

MummaOJ  (02-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Agree about beautiful homes around Yeronga, Yeerongpilly and nearby Fairfield. There's lots of green space and an awesome newish playground for kids right near the tennis centre. Just be sure to take a good look at the flood maps for that area if you do get serious about property there.

Same could be said for parts of Paddington and Rosalie, New Farm/Teneriffe, and similarly for West End where we live.

Not to be alarmist but it was a bit of a mess after the floods in 2011 and this will no doubt affect ability to get a bank loan and house insurance pricing. Of course, the likelihood of something like that happening again is slim...but they said it would never happen again after the 1974 floods and Wivenhoe Dam was built...and we know how that ended. I guess a lot of people don't think about it unless they were personally effected but it's still something we think about frequently as our apartment complex was flooded, which caused mayhem and stress for months afterwards. And we got off lightly compared to many places...

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/commu...uide-residents

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat74 For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (03-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all, just wanted to update, we did travel up to Brissy (& will most likely again next wknd to look at some houses) & have decided on the Fig Tree Pocket/Kenmore area. With the current time line looks like we will be up there in 8 - 12 weeks! Just wondering if anyone can recommend where I can start to do some research on playgroups, kids/baby activities or Mums Groups? Thanks!