+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Moving to Brisbane! :) Suburb suggestions?

Hello lovely Brisbane Mums! I am a 33 yo mum of an 11 month old daughter currently living in Sydney. My husband is going to be transferring to Brisbane for work and we don't know where to start with where to live, so was hoping to get some suggestions! All we've decided at the moment is that it will probably work best for us to be south of the river as his mum lives on the Gold Coast. I guess main criteria would be that it's commutable to the city (we will both be working there), there are some interesting local shopping/cafe areas (preferably that one can walk to), but it's also family friendly with parks, childcare etc. We are looking to buy a 4 bedroom house and our budget is up to $1m. We're only going to have a few weekends to fly up and look at suburbs and do open houses etc so was hoping to hear your suggestions and thoughts smile Would really appreciate it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hi @infinita4 and welcome in advance to the sunshine state!

If you're looking south side of Brisbane, I would suggest looking around areas like Holland Park, Carindale, Camp Hill, Greenslopes, Coorparoo if you're wanting to be close to the city. There is a busway that runs along the freeway that is great for city commute with stops at Holland Park and Greenslopes. There are also buses that run from Carindale through Camp Hill, Coorparoo and in to the city. You should definitely be able to afford a decent home with a decent amount of land for that amount, but the further out of the city you go, the more land you can get.

Other suburbs you might be interested in looking at are Rochedale/Springwood. You would be further out of the city but it's a lovely family area with some great sized blocks of land. There is also a busway station at springwood, but part of the journey is on the freeway. The busway itself starts at the Eight Mile Plains station.

There are 2 major Westfields on the south side - Garden City (at Mt Gravatt) and Carindale. Both also have libraries attached which would suit for activities for your little one.

In terms of child care I'm a bit clueless as I don't have kids yet myself, but there are definitely child care centres around as well as some good schools (public and private) in the areas I've mentioned.

Eta: Places around Hawthorn/Balmoral/Bulimba might suit also. Not sure of the public transport options apart from the city cat, but Oxford St, Bulimba is full of lovely cafés and restaurants. Maybe head there for lunch and a wander one day while you're up if you have time
    Last edited by M'LadyEm; 01-07-2014 at 14:50.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

infinita4  (02-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I live in the inner city... Paddington/Rosalie area. Technically it's on the wrong side of the bridge for you but I absolutely love the area. It's really community minded and for an inner city suburb it's quite relaxed with a village feel to it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

infinita4  (02-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I'd look around Greenslopes, Holland Park, Mt. Gravatt, Upper Mt. Gravatt...pretty much any suburb logan rd runs through. There is heaps of buses on both logan rd and the nearby busway. Close access to the freeway to get to the city or down to the Gold Coast. There are good and bad schools in those areas.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

infinita4  (02-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hamilton.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

infinita4  (02-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all for the suggestions! We are coming up this weekend for our first look around, so I think we are going to explore a circle with Bulimba, Cannon Hill, Carindale, Greenslops/Holland Park, and Coorparoo being on the outside, but also have a look at suburbs on the inside of that, if that makes sense. Probably stop and have some lunch or coffee on Oxford St. We are also going to go over and have a look at the Paddinton/Rosalie area, and then also Hamilton. We don't want to count out good options on the other side of the river, it'll just mean my MIL has to drive a bit futher!

I think the challenge will be that my husband and I prioritise different things, I am more concerned with convenient location/short commute and stuff to do around the area, and he's more concerned with having a big house with a decent land block and a swimming pool and garden. So we'll have to find something we can compromise on! Always the challenge with marriage!! In any case, we'll definitely be able to get more of our money than in Sydney....this is the most expensive place on earth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    don't forget New Farm... extremely inner city (as inner city as you can probably get)... there is an awesome hub there with a huge park and cafe's restaurants etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by infinita4 View Post
    Thank you all for the suggestions! We are coming up this weekend for our first look around, so I think we are going to explore a circle with Bulimba, Cannon Hill, Carindale, Greenslops/Holland Park, and Coorparoo being on the outside, but also have a look at suburbs on the inside of that, if that makes sense. Probably stop and have some lunch or coffee on Oxford St. We are also going to go over and have a look at the Paddinton/Rosalie area, and then also Hamilton. We don't want to count out good options on the other side of the river, it'll just mean my MIL has to drive a bit futher!

I think the challenge will be that my husband and I prioritise different things, I am more concerned with convenient location/short commute and stuff to do around the area, and he's more concerned with having a big house with a decent land block and a swimming pool and garden. So we'll have to find something we can compromise on! Always the challenge with marriage!! In any case, we'll definitely be able to get more of our money than in Sydney....this is the most expensive place on earth.
    The suburbs that you're looking at sound good and are all very family friendly.

If you want super quick commute then you should consider the inner city - I lived in New Farm for about 10 years and it's a great spot. New Farm park is fantastic for kids and just a lovely green space on the river.

We live on the river at West End. Love this part of town too! We've been here for 9 years and just can't tear ourselves away because a short commute has always been a priority for DH and I, plus great cafes/restaurants, community feel, etc. There are nice parks for kids and of course South Bank and the cultural centre are really close too. The CityGlider bus takes us 10 minutes to the CBD; I used to walk to and/or from work which took about 25-30 minutes, or on lazy days I'd hop on a CityCycle bike and it was a 10-15 minute ride.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    When you say "short commute" what are you thinking? Only because coming from Sydney I hear people commute up to an hour each way because of the traffic/cost of living close to the city.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We moved from Sydney last year and we're currently living south of the river.

Carindale is a nice suburb, the houses are mainly new mcmansion style, and generally the land size is around 600 sqm. Carindale's more expensive houses are the ones close to the golf course. They'll generally be $900k plus around that area. But on other side of scrub road they'll generally go for less.
    There is currently new estates being built in Carindale now.

Best things about Carindale is the Westfield shopping centre, the library and Belmont state school. Only public transport available is buses and it's probably a 20-25 min drive from city.

We also looked at Coorparoo, generally older style houses. Has some premium streets which generally have views of the city. A run down house we viewed went for high $800s and it only had glimses of the city. It's a leafy suburb with good access to a local supermarket (Whites Hill - actually in Camp hill). I think the better schools in the area are the private schools.

Tarragindi is leafy and has a mix of older style houses and some new houses popping up. Has some good schools nearby (Wellers state school and St Elizabeths). Disadvantage is that it doesn't have its own supermarket so you've got to neighbouring suburbs, but they're not far. There are streets there with good views of the city, and generally good size blocks of land (650 sqm plus). It's about a 10min drive from the city.

Other suburbs to consider would be Morningside, Camp Hill, Cannon Hill.
    All these suburbs have a lot of houses being sold with 405 sqm block sizes. In Morningside a house with this land size sold in excess of $1m recently (that was a record price for that block size). Cannon hill has a business park and all 3 childcare centres there were full when I contacted them earlier this year.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Night Owl; 02-07-2014 at 16:35.