+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Child persistent cough. When to return to GP

Ds is 4 and he's had this cough for around 4 weeks. It all started with a temperature, many days no appetite and gagging on food.
    In-between he was on antibiotics for around 7 days as the doc could hear something in his lungs.
    Last week he had croup, as he had that strider when he breathed in so he was on predix for 3 days.

Now every night just before falling asleep he has a coughing fit for a couple of minutes and the same every morning. During the day he's not bad, will mainly cough if he's been running around.

I also give him the asthma pump every night to help.

He seems well/happy and his appetite has picked up.

Im just not sure if I should return to the doctor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Which type if asthma meds is he on? Ventolin or a preventer?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ventolin.
    He doesn't actually have asthma, or hasn't yet been diagnosed. He was told to take it to help during this cough/virus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My husband and I and 2 kids caught this virus about 5-6 weeks ago. The thing my husband and I noticed was the huge ammount of Mucous (sorry tmi) but I seriously have never had that much and so consistently for at least 2 weeks.

My husband and I are over it but my kids are still struggling with a persistant cough. Even at night. I have been leaving a vapouriser on all night for the steam and that seems to make an improvement but because they cant blow their nose yet or spit when they cough it just seems to linger even longer.

Sorry my point is if your son caught a similar bug then it may just be the mucous hanging around. I also get an asthma wheeze with fluid on the lungs and that was really exasperated for me...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Meld85 For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (01-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd go back to the GP just to check all infection is gone. Also he may need a preventer just through the winter. My son was like this but the asthma symptoms are seeming to be not quite so bad each year, I'm hoping he's growing out of it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (01-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 4 year old had a bad consistent cough and I bought some All Natural Kids Cough lollipops from the chemist, it worked so well. Helped him to cough up the mucus and stopped his coughing pretty much straight away. I had previously had the vapouriser at night and vicks on every night and he had that cough for a bout 4 weeks until I started using the lollipops.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mixinitup For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (01-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    I'd go back to the GP just to check all infection is gone. Also he may need a preventer just through the winter. My son was like this but the asthma symptoms are seeming to be not quite so bad each year, I'm hoping he's growing out of it.

Hi, before I read this post I ended up taking him to our GP. She prescribed the preventer and we have another check up in 3 weeks