+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILxjxfB4zNk

This was the UK ad I was talking about earlier. Much prefer its approach.

Just out of interest - those who started swimming lessons from an early age, was there any sort of pool safety/first aid education done as a part of it?

I think more opportunistic education should be done - schools, workplaces, antenatal classes, parenting groups/classes, babies/toddlers/kids swimming classes, driver's ed etc

Not this scare propaganda give us your money crap.
    That was great! Who would think to put CPR to music to help remember!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are taught with 'achy breaky heart', 'another one bites the dust' and 'row row row your boat'.

I don't think that ad provides enough at all. And telling people it's easy? First thing you will be told in a course, is it is exhausting, it is painful on your arms, your back etc. And all you do is call and compress? Where was the mention of a defib?

That ad says to me, hey it's this easy so you don't really need a course.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    And our kids have done swimming from 6 months, eldest is 10. They are taught is a whistle blows to get out the water. They do roleplay with a life ring, but so far not much more.
    As part of getting my bronze medallion in high school we had to complete a first aid component.

I know in WA, where this ad airs, that St John do first aid club in schools, from junior primary through to high school. So they're teaching small ones from the start.

I definitely agree that they could also teach it in antenatal classes, as resus for a baby is very different, and with babies come choking risks etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by mandlsmum View Post
    And our kids have done swimming from 6 months, eldest is 10. They are taught is a whistle blows to get out the water. They do roleplay with a life ring, but so far not much more.
    As part of getting my bronze medallion in high school we had to complete a first aid component.

I know in WA, where this ad airs, that St John do first aid club in schools, from junior primary through to high school. So they're teaching small ones from the start.

I definitely agree that they could also teach it in antenatal classes, as resus for a baby is very different, and with babies come choking risks etc.

Not in our school they don't. St John are getting rid of their cadet program, that was announced last year, that I was going to enrol dd1 in when she was old enough because they wanted to introduce a school component.
    Last edited by DesperatelySeekingSleep; 02-07-2014 at 01:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.stjohnambulance.com.au/firstaidfocus/home

If your school isn't doing it, here is the link so you can request it. I think educating kids is a great start!

It's sad about cadets, I did it when I was younger, it was a lot of fun

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mandlsmum For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (02-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There was no first aid when learning to swim when I was little...but that was a really long time ago - so things may have changed!

Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILxjxfB4zNk

This was the UK ad I was talking about earlier. Much prefer its approach.

Just out of interest - those who started swimming lessons from an early age, was there any sort of pool safety/first aid education done as a part of it?

I think more opportunistic education should be done - schools, workplaces, antenatal classes, parenting groups/classes, babies/toddlers/kids swimming classes, driver's ed etc

Not this scare propaganda give us your money crap.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    Not in our school they don't. St John are getting rid of their cadet program, that was announced last year, that I was going to enrol dd1 in when she was old enough because they wanted to introduce a school component.
    Oh no, are you serious? I spent my youth as a cadet, and then as a cadet leader. I was going to enrol my kids too! wah!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Oh no, are you serious? I spent my youth as a cadet, and then as a cadet leader. I was going to enrol my kids too! wah!
    Edit to add - I just looked up the NSW website and they seem to still be all about cadets. Maybe it's just in WA?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Edit to add - I just looked up the NSW website and they seem to still be all about cadets. Maybe it's just in WA?
    This is a screen shot of an article from the save WA cadets page.
    1404263259932.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    This is a screen shot of an article from the save WA cadets page.
    Attachment 57251
    The article is too small for my old eyes to read But did I get it right, that they are closing Freemantle cadet division? And if that is the case, do you guys not have any other divisions?