Dd is 3.5 years old, she has had a rough time with asthma this year.
We ended up in hospital for it twice before starting her on flixotide jr, she also takes prednisone (Redipred) when her symptoms get worse.
The flixotide jr has been excellent for her asthma, but gives her big night terrors, which can trigger a mild attack if she gets really worked up.
This weekend we ended up in hospital with her after a big asthma attack, it was a silent one, she was fine one second and the next she just wasn't breathing and not responsive, no signs or anything of asthma coming on at all.
At the hospital they did tests as she also had a fever which was causing convulsions and she was diagnosed with bacterial pneumonia.
Her asthma is (understandably) worse due to the infection, but the Redipred and flixotide jr is keeping it at bay.
But night terrors with pneumonia aren't going well with her asthma, and an hour of inconsolable screaming at night is triggering attacks, vomiting and great discomfort for her when we have no choice but to wake her up to sit her upright and give her reliever puffer (I'm aware you shouldn't wake them during a terror but it's hard once asthma gets triggered)
We just came back from an asthma review and they want to put her on a new preventative called 'Alvesco'
They told us all the long term side effects etc which scared me a little, but I've noticed on the product leaflet the dr gave me says it's not to be used in children under 12 years.
I've looked at the asthma foundation web site and it says use in children is not recommended due to growth delays, among other things.
We called our dr back and he spoke to a senior dr who said it "should" be fine.
I'm just not 100% comfortable I suppose, one of the side effects is difficulty breathing, which I just don't want to risk that right now.
So, do I stay on flixotide jr whilst she is this sick and just deal with night terrors?
Or change to the new one and risk all the side effects to stop night terrors?
I really don't know what to do, I feel I've talked to the dr and senior dr about the concerns I have but the words they used like "should" be "ok" and they "think" it's safe just makes me uneasy.
Has anyone used alvesco in children?
Is there any other preventatives I can ask our dr about that are a bit safer for kids that might limit night terrors?
I'm stressed beyond belief and the fact I can't get reassurance that other children have taken this and been fine isn't giving me confidence.
Just feeling a bit lost with how to tackle her asthma after what happened the other day, I'm feeling so incompetent as a mother right now, I just want to do what's best for her but I'm torn as to what that is.
Thanks in advance.