+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Any real estate agents? Q about house exterior

Or anyone really.

We're looking to sell within the next year or two. We've pretty much finished renovating the inside of the house and now we're concentrating on the exterior.
    We're Wondering if we'll get our money back (or add value) on some things. So my questions are-
    Is it worth getting a new roof- we'd get a grey colourbond- or should we just get our terracotta tiles cleaned? New roof we'd have to get a new aerial
    Should we put re do the retaining walls- we'd get the concrete block things- or just leave the existing rock/cement type retaining wall?
    Should we re do the driveway? It's the old two lined driveway but it's been infilled with concrete at some stage. It's on a slope so will cost a bit to re do but new driveways look great.
    Also, is it worth squeezing in a toilet in the laundry? It's a downstairs laundry but there's only one toilet in the house.
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would just clean the roof tiles, leave the retaining wall but re do driveway and I would definitely add extra toilet if you only have 1 - what area are you in? Sydney prices are booming at the moment!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

My Beloved Ones  (29-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Elijah's mum!. Would real estate agent come around and give us advice on what to spend on to add value and what will over capitalise?

Last edited by My Beloved Ones; 30-06-2014 at 20:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yep - just pick one that seems to be selling the most similar homes to yours in your suburb

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    agree 100% with Elijahs Mum

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When we were getting ready to sell we had a couple of agents in to give quotes and both had similar ideas of what to spend money on and what not to and were very clear and helpful in there advice.

Big things were painting gutters and eves as ours were old and flaking. We talked about re spraying the roof but they said not to bother. Same as painting the house.

Would definitely get a local agents opinion

10. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

My Beloved Ones  (30-06-2014)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    asking a few real estate agents is a good idea.

BUT

when listening tot heir thoughts, keep in mind their interest. They make money from a higher sale price, not a higher profit for you.

If you spend money, you WILL get a higher sale price (even if it gets less increase than what you spent). So its in the best interest of the real estate agent to get you to spend more money improving the value of the property.

Some will be great, and will give you honest opinions ... but some maybe not so much.

They have great advice mostly, and will tell you which will improvements will benefit you MORE ... but just keep in mind their financial interest is in you acheiving a higher sales price.

And ask yourself - does what they are saying make sense?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    asking a few real estate agents is a good idea.

BUT

when listening tot heir thoughts, keep in mind their interest. They make money from a higher sale price, not a higher profit for you.

If you spend money, you WILL get a higher sale price (even if it gets less increase than what you spent). So its in the best interest of the real estate agent to get you to spend more money improving the value of the property.

Some will be great, and will give you honest opinions ... but some maybe not so much.

They have great advice mostly, and will tell you which will improvements will benefit you MORE ... but just keep in mind their financial interest is in you acheiving a higher sales price.

And ask yourself - does what they are saying make sense?
    Thanks katiesmum, I never would have thought of that.

Does anyone know what sort of commission is payable to an agent who sells your house?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by My Beloved Ones View Post
    Thanks katiesmum, I never would have thought of that.

Does anyone know what sort of commission is payable to an agent who sells your house?

We just sold our house and paid 2% including gst. Most agents asked for 2.5% and were prepared to go down to 2.2% - I had to really screw them down to 2%! Worked out alright for him though , sold the day after the first home open.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to grumpybump For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We renovated our weatherboard house a few years back, and the quotes for replacing the terracotta tiles with colorbond was extraordinary. We didn't bother doing it, instead we had them cleaned and we painted the gutters and fascia. We completely replaced the old concrete two lined driveway and it made an incredible difference. I wouldn't bother replacing the retaining walls if they are solid, just put new chip bark down in the garden beds and fill up the garden beds with more plants if necessary.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post: