+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    I'm at the opposite end and no where much stocks size 6 anymore, if you can find them the pants are up around your ankles cause if you're thin your short. I think it's hard no matter what size you are, there seems to be little or no consistency of sizes and availability.
    I was size 6 before DD (sighs) and I found it difficult too, but I'm short.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I do think this is a valid point. So maybe it's more about fashion labels developing attractive designs for larger women rather than a dress being size 6-20.

"Jessica a former store manager with a leading women’s label, says that while people might say they want larger sizes, they usually end up on the sales rack. “For us it didn’t make sense to stock more size 14s or make a size 16 – they weren’t in demand,” she explains.But she admits the poor interest was more due to design than demand, as clothes designed for small-framed women rarely flatter curvier shapes as well. From the size 8-10 “block” that’s created, a mathematical algorithm is used to decide measurements for sizes 6-14. At no point does anyone check whether a size 14 actually looks good on a real woman. “The crotch-to-waist measurement is totally different from a 10 to a 16,” says Bonner. “Small sizes don’t allow for tummies.”
    “It’s a double-edged sword: larger sizes don’t sell because the structure and cut of the garment are lacking,” says Jessica. “But businesses won’t create patterns that accommodate this as the sales figures tell them demand isn’t there.”

And therein lies my problem. I'm a 14, but pants are so so so hard to find because I'm an apple- all my weight is on my belly. Pants that fit in length and in the butt won't do up. Pants that will fit around my waist are too long and have a huge baggy bum. It's ridiculous. So I look like a bogan in elastic wasited pants most of the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    I'm at the opposite end and no where much stocks size 6 anymore, if you can find them the pants are up around your ankles cause if you're thin your short. I think it's hard no matter what size you are, there seems to be little or no consistency of sizes and availability.
    I find size 6 limited too, but I just go somewhere else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Argh Zara does my head in. I'm so glad it isn't in Perth. The clothes are tiny. It's bizarre I can wear European Zara but not Australian - I think they come from the same supplier as makes for the Asian stores. I felt like a whale the first time I shopped at Zara in Melbourne (and I am a small size 12).
    It's coming to Garden City soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] Nomsie View Post
    And therein lies my problem. I'm a 14, but pants are so so so hard to find because I'm an apple- all my weight is on my belly. Pants that fit in length and in the butt won't do up. Pants that will fit around my waist are too long and have a huge baggy bum. It's ridiculous. So I look like a bogan in elastic wasited pants most of the time.
    I feel your pain. I'm a size 16 in pants and I'm pretty short. All my weight is around my mid section. Finding nice black pants for work is horrendous. Jeans are just as bad. I've only now finally found jeans that I can wear.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mellie29 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (30-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When I worked in a surf clothing store in my late teens we would always sell out of sizes 8-12 but anything larger always ended up on the sale rack and was really hard to shift.

I remember a few relatives of mine having a similar conversation complaining that the company I worked for didn't didn't make bigger sizes and while I agree.. and can certainly feel their frustration I also recognise that the larger sizes we did stock never sold anyway so Im not sure it was really financially viable for the manufacturers anyway.

I agree that instead of trying to cater for all sizes 6-20, companies should try releasing some nice designs that flatter fuller figures as well (same fabrics etc). I know surf companies have started making clothes for bigger fella's but they still don't really cater for bigger women.

We all have our own issues with shopping though... Im a size 8 so find that most shops cater for my size however I have absolutely no hips or bust and find I am quite limited in buying dresses that are aimed more at teenagers or early 20's rather then my age group because they "fit" better. Clothes from some stores I'd like to buy from often have "inbuilt hips" which makes me look like a butterfly.. or are saggy around the breast area.

you can't win...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    At my standard weight range I'm an average 12 (eg in Target's standard range) which makes me a 10 at somewhere like Katie's and a 14 somewhere like Ojay (and too big for Witchery and a few others). I am tall so I am sort of like an up-sized 8-10 that they do the fit modelling on. I would always love outlet shopping as I could get the 'small' brand's 14s by the bucket load. Most of my friends who were shorter than me and technically the same size couldn't have worn clothes cut that way though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think that all shops should offer plus sized clothing but I do think that they should at least offer clothes in the sizes the majority of Aus women fall into (I think a size 12-14?). A friend of mine just told me that she has gone up a size since her pregnancy and she now can't shop at her usual places because they don't offer her new size (she is not large at all! Just normal!).

Although, I don't know anyone that doesn't have some sort of problem with clothes shopping. I am anywhere between a 6 and a 10 depending on the brand which is ridiculous!! I don't often have trouble with tops, and jeans fitting properly in the waist, but trying to find a dress or skirt or that fits me properly is a nightmare. Often they are way too long (I'm a shortie), or baggy around shoulders (bra shopping is also a nightmare) but I can't go down a size because it won't fit my waist or bust. I always have to get everything shortened and the shoulders fixed on dresses, and with some clothes this compromises the look of it. Luckily MIL is a dressmaker so I can at least get things fixed up for free!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well I just went bridesmaid dress shopping in Brisbane. One place stocked sizes 10-18 mostly (I'm a 14) so I tried on heaps of dresses and styles. Another place only stocked US sizes 0&2 for trying on. Couldn't even get the dresses over my shoulders. It was freaking hilarious for the bride watching us squirm. I asked for a size 12-14 Australian and they said they didn't stock them in store as and more expensive to order.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    I have noticed a lot of plus sized clothes are really frumpy, but there is definitely more of a variety around now compared to even a few years ago.

And that's odd about size 14, that is the size that a lot of 'regular' stores stop at and also the size that most plus size stores start at, so you would think size 14 would be the easiest size to find?
    Im a 14 in pants and i tell ya they are hard to find. Its either the most popular size or size 12 is the cut off everywhere i shop. And when i do find they are either super baggy in the bum or too small in the waist.

Tip: Best size 14 jeans ive found are highrise ones at cotton on. So worth it.

💜 DD1 aka Peanut 💜 Due 28.10.14
    Last edited by MummaCat; 29-06-2014 at 20:07.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaCat For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (30-06-2014)