+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Companies not offering plus size clothing

I was just reading a post on fb where someone was saying how it's unfair that a small clothing label doesn't offer plus size clothing.

I don't think it should be expected that every clothing company accommodates all clothing sizes. I've seen some nice dresses at City Chic, but I'm not going to start complaining that they don't stock clothes small enough for me.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No I don't think it's unfair but I do think more shops should try and design some nice clothes for bigger women. There really isn't that many options!

Personally I would love some more shops to stock 14,seems I am in the middle and it's not easy to find size appropriate nice clothes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Zeddie For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (29-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I guess at the end of the day shops are a profit making business, they want to sell the most clothes possible with the biggest profit margin. So while it would be nice for all stores to sell 6-24 in everything I imagine it is just not financially viable.
    i.e. at a guess there would be far less young women wanting say 18 and up clothes as opposed to 12-16 so the shops are going to make their clothes for the average person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    Where would it stop? Extra short to extra tall? 3xs to 12xl? Long torsos and short torsos? All body shapes?

Everyone comes in all shapes and sizes and no one label can accomodate everyone. Why not find a few nice shops and labels that do and stick to them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] Zeddie View Post
    No I don't think it's unfair but I do think more shops should try and design some nice clothes for bigger women. There really isn't that many options!

Personally I would love some more shops to stock 14,seems I am in the middle and it's not easy to find size appropriate nice clothes.
    I have noticed a lot of plus sized clothes are really frumpy, but there is definitely more of a variety around now compared to even a few years ago.

And that's odd about size 14, that is the size that a lot of 'regular' stores stop at and also the size that most plus size stores start at, so you would think size 14 would be the easiest size to find?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I'm not plus sized, but I understand the complaint. I think it isn't so much an issue of equity, but that a lot of clothes 14+ are, let's be honest, pretty terrible and old ladyish. The small sizes are usually trendy, nice fabric and styles, while the big sizes are often mu-mu's lol and size 16 isn't huge, I know if I was size 16 I wouldn't want to wear old lady clothes.

Considering size 12 is now the norm (I think?) most clothing companies would still be making a good trade selling plus sizes.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (29-06-2014),sockstealingpoltergeist  (30-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tastychicken View Post
    Where would it stop? Extra short to extra tall? 3xs to 12xl? Long torsos and short torsos? All body shapes?

Everyone comes in all shapes and sizes and no one label can accomodate everyone. Why not find a few nice shops and labels that do and stick to them?
    That is a good point! DH is 2 metres tall. He has so many problems getting clothes, but at the end of the day there are very few 2 metre tall people around so it makes no sense for stores to make clothes that fit him!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    That is a good point! DH is 2 metres tall. He has so many problems getting clothes, but at the end of the day there are very few 2 metre tall people around so it makes no sense for stores to make clothes that fit him!
    True, but there are lots of plus sized people, many more than those over 2 metres.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

sockstealingpoltergeist  (30-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess it depends on what level of plus size we are talking about. I am thinking size 18 and up and I don't really see many young women of that size around to have a big market for all stores to stock those sizes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd imagine the main contributing factor is that there tends to be different preferences when you move into plus size clothing, so you can't just use one design from a size 6 right up to a size 26.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (29-06-2014),snowqu33n  (29-06-2014)