+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Moving house - tips and advice

We're moving in 4 weeks, just around the corner, but are going to hire a small truck to move the big stuff. Ironically, I work for a removalist and know nothing about moving! In my defense, I work in head office and have nothing to do with the operational side of things :-P so I've got boxes, paper and tape. I got a tip from one of the removalists at work - don't put heavy stuff in the big boxes as they'll be too heavy. But apart from that, I know nothing so need your tips about what to pack early, what to leave out, and anything else you can think of!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Make a box of really important things like the kettle and tea/coffee. That will be the first thing you want at the new place!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with pp! Have moved just down the road once before & about to do it again next week. Use the truck for the big stuff, put it straight where you want it, then move the little stuff in your car. Get family/friends to help you. We are planning on only packing up the fragile stuff & the rest (pictures, books, clothes etc) will just be carloads of loose stuff. We also have a 2 week old so all her stuff is getting moved in the drawers or I have packed it into plastic tubs ready to go. It's a good idea to keep a set of sheets, towels & basic kitchen stuff (kettle, toaster, coffee, sugar) in a box so you can make the bed & have a cuppa the night you move in! I hate clutter so pretty organised in that regard, but a good cleanout before you move always helps too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with the kettle and tea/coffee lol!

I found green shopping bags incredibly handy for underwear etc/DVDs and random clutter like moisturisers and make up too as they don't require tape and won't break and you can easily see what's in them. I used them for nearly everything I could. And they are easy to store afterwards so you don't have tonnes of cardboard to deal with.
    Use as small as boxes as possible so they aren't too heavy.
    Do as much as you can in advance.
    Don't pack tea towels, pillow cases or small linen items such as baby blankets as they are great to use to stuff into boxes to help pack tightly to prevent breakage.

Use professionals if you can afford it- it is so worth it! They do all the heavy lifting, know how to pack things in a truck properly and unpack it in a fraction of a time that it will take you to do it. Plus they are insured.

Have fun moving is the pits!
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 29-06-2014 at 17:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Set up a slow cooker with dinner in it the night before & plug it in at the new place in the morning, dinner sorted!

Get beds set up early & make them straight away, you'll be buggered & won't feel like making them at the end of the day!

Thanks
    Reviews
    When we moved I found it really helpful to write on the boxes what room they came from in the old house, what room they needed to go into the new house and also note some of the items - just helped when unpacking.

Don't pack a box full of books... Ridiculously heavy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    - Label well with room location AND contents
    - If you can have cleaning equipment at both ends
    - Have at least a couple of boxes left for all the random things that get forgotten, hangers, toilet brushes etc.
    - I actually hired crates which were the best - solid plastic crates which were stackable and super easy to move, especially if doing yourself. The other great thing was they needed to be returned a week after the move, so I was forced to unpack! lol
    - If just around the corner (our move was less than 500m away!) take your fragile items in the back seat of your car
    - Put the fridge somewhere relatively accessible in the truck so it can be unpacked and plugged in quickly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    When packing, do one room at a time. Pack everything in the centre of the room and get all cleaning out of the way. Close the door and you won't need to go back in until moving day.

Don't bother packing things like clothes on hangers, pictures, etc. Just put them in the car take them straight around and hang up.
    I'd consider doing the same with cups, plates, etc. Last time I moved, I just put them in a washing basket in the car and put them straight into the cupboards at the new house. It saves you from having to wrap everything, pack, and wash before use at the new house.

For the pantry I find it easiest just to pack it into bags like you've just gone shopping, and unpack at the other end.

Kind of obvious, but try and use up as much food in the fridge, freezer and pantry so you've got less to move.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyEL View Post
    Set up a slow cooker with dinner in it the night before & plug it in at the new place in the morning, dinner sorted!

Get beds set up early & make them straight away, you'll be buggered & won't feel like making them at the end of the day!
    Awesome idea!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for sharing your awesome expertise!

I wouldn't have thought to make the beds first but that's the best idea ever!

I think I'm going to copy all of these into a checklist of some sort or at least get hubby to read through them :-)