+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It might be worth trying Little Kickers in a different location. DD went for a few years and it was great, but towards the end they got in new coaches because the old coach bought the franchise, and the new coaches were nowhere near as good and would get frustrated with the kids and punish the whole group by not giving stickers at the end because a few kids were naughty. Up until that point it was great and I think the program is good. There's usually heaps of little Kickers venues around so maybe try another or speak to the owner of the franchise and see if there's a better coach suitable for your DS. DD learnt great skills not just in sports and soccer but in listening to instruction, waiting her turn, sharing etc.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

tubster  (02-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoCo View Post
    Woah I've never seen this happen that's terrible. DD was sometimes "challenging" but every child was praised and rewarded. That's terrible I'd pull my Dd out to if this happened.

Is LittleKickers different in every state or something?
    I did pull him out.... Not before giving some feedback to the trainers. I think little kickers is good for some kids, with the emphasis on 'some'. I don't want DS to be subject to scrutiny and a rewards system until he's older and can understand negative feedback. There's a reason kids don't start school until they're 4-5.

Oh and also, I think it can be tough on parents, who can end up feeling bad because they're kids are 'naughty' or don't concentrate for the whole 45 minutes. We need to remember these are 2-3 year-olds, it's pretty rare if they can concentrate that long! Yet we're made to feel like we're failing if they don't in these types of classes.
    Last edited by Ellewood; 02-07-2014 at 18:27.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

tubster  (02-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellewood View Post
    The issue I had with little kickers was their rewards system - they expected 2 year-olds to concentrate for 45 minutes straight, which to me I don't agree is the best or even effective for that age group.

To me it felt so wrong to punish kids (singling kids out to not receive a stamp because they lost concentration for 5 minutes or were scatty that day) and give them a talking to at such a young age.

I think it's something kids can learn once they're school-aged, but not 2-3 year-olds. I pulled DS out fir that reason. There were times when DS really tried hard and did well yet they chastised him when he lost focus for 5 minutes, and it upset me because I knew DS had actually done well to concentrate that long and into his nap time.
    Wow ours is definitely not like this either - all the kids were praised and encouraged and all got stamps! DS started at 18 months and he loved it! And no they were not expected to concentrate for 45 mins and we were involved and playing /helping them until he went to the bigger class at 3

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellewood View Post
    I did pull him out.... Not before giving some feedback to the trainers. I think little kickers is good for some kids, with the emphasis on 'some'. I don't want DS to be subject to scrutiny and a rewards system until he's older and can understand negative feedback. There's a reason kids don't start school until they're 4-5.

Oh and also, I think it can be tough on parents, who can end up feeling bad because they're kids are 'naughty' or don't concentrate for the whole 45 minutes. We need to remember these are 2-3 year-olds, it's pretty rare if they can concentrate that long! Yet we're made to feel like we're failing if they don't in these types of classes.
    Yeah well I'm with you 100% totally agree! I have to say dd struggled with the 45 minutes it's a long time for my DD s concentration.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Op have you got jungle sports they are great. It's mixed sports but so much fun.