+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Little kickers

DH and I took me 3.5 to little kickers trial day today and ended up with a huge argument because we didn't agree on whether or not to go back.

I spoke to the little kickers organizer yesterday about going to have a look around and he offered a Free trial.
    So today we went and for the first half I was there with DS and they were warming up and kicking balls around and DS loved it and I enjoyed it too. The organizer wasn't much of a talker, didnt try to build rapport with DS, wasn't exactly friendly didn't say much and wasn't very welcoming. But it didn't bother me much at the time.
    Second half DH was there with DS and 10 min later he took DS and left. He said they sat down and the activities started, every boy got a ball except for DS. DH felt DS was left out and no one came up to offer him anything or asked him if he wanted to join or make him feel welcomed. Also that all the kids seems to know what they doing and he felt DS looked really silly and people would laugh at him for not knowing what to do.

DH decided he's not going back to little kickers because they are just not nice and rude. And that he would teach DS some basic skills before attending anything similar. And I pretty much disagree.

But my question is, is it normal for organizers to act this way? And would you go back?
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No I wouldn't go back either. You are paying money to have your child learn some skills in a warm, encouraging environment , not to be ignored your first day.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

tubster  (28-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I think your DH needs to pull his head in and stop throwing tantrums. Worried that people would think a 3.5 year old was silly for not knowing what to do? Pfftttttt how are kids supposed to learn!

I don't know enough from your post to make a call that the organiser was out of the ordinary or rude. Is it possible that you/your hubby are being a bit sensitive and reading too much into things? Eg with the no ball thing perhaps there were only enough balls for registered participants? Or perhaps the organizer thought your kid/hubby were having a break? If your hubby was worried your kid was left out why didn't he encourage him to join in? What exactly did you expect the organised to say to your kid?

Did the other kids look like they were having fun? That's usually a good indicator.
    Last edited by VicPark; 28-06-2014 at 19:34.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (01-07-2014),tubster  (28-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Does your DS want to go back? Did he enjoy it?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

tubster  (28-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    Does your DS want to go back? Did he enjoy it?
    Yes he wanted to go back

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would call the coach first and tell him of your concerns - we've been doing little kickers for nearly 2 years and our coaches are great - your DS will need a few goes before he "gets it " maybe more if he has never done any group activities before but your DH teaching him is not the point- the point is he can learn to take instruction in a group from other people and learn teamwork etc

If your DS had fun I would definitely give it another try

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (02-07-2014),tubster  (28-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tubster View Post
    Yes he wanted to go back
    In that case I would take him back. I would maybe have a chat with the coach about your concerns though.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

tubster  (28-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I think your DH needs to pull his head in and stop throwing tantrums. Worried that people would think a 3.5 year old was silly for not knowing what to do? Pfftttttt how are kids supposed to learn!

I don't know enough from your post to make a call that the organiser was out of the ordinary or rude. Is it possible that you/your hubby are being a bit sensitive and reading too much into things? Eg with the no ball thing perhaps there were only enough balls for registered participants? Or perhaps the organizer thought your kid/hubby were having a break? If your hubby was worried your kid was left out why didn't he encourage him to join in? What exactly did you expect the organised to say to your kid?

Did the other kids look like they were having fun? That's usually a good indicator.
    That's pretty much how I felt. I wasn't there the second half because DD was whinging so I had to take her out so I wasn't there to make a proper judgment. I feel DH is too protective of DS. I feel that DS needs to learn to deal with different situations and no one actually attends a class as an expert. I also asked DH if he asked the organizer for a ball for DS. He said there's no more left. So I said well then there you go. Then I said did you encourage DS to stand in line and and help explain the instructions, and he said that he did but DS didn't get a ball and he stood there really silly. I know he feels bad for DS. And I couldn't get him to see my point and he doesn't understand mine. Then he said that no matter what the organizers should have offered him a ball and encourage him to join since this is his first time. So I see his point too.
    He reckons $99 for 6 lessons at 45min per lesson just to be ignored, and we should look for another place and he will give DS some private lessons. I want DS to go out and learn to socialize with other kids, join in a class where he gets to learn about listening to teachers and learning instructions. I think it's a valuable skill for him to learn.
    I don't know. I don't think I am being too tough on DS? Or maybe DH is right and we should look for another place. Maybe we are both right and has a point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you maybe trial a few other options and see which one your DS prefers? Maybe you can find something you are all happy with.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

tubster  (28-06-2014)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We did a free trial and chose not to return, however for different reasons. The coach was lovely and friendly, but I didn't think it was worth the exorbitant fees...so expensive! We have since found a brilliant soccer club for a fraction of the price.

Anyway, if you feel as though it was good and your son enjoyed it, then I would suggest canvassing your concerns with the facilitator and ask if they will give a second trial class in order for you to both make a decision. I think carrying on about him not being given a ball is a bit excessive on your DH's part...it was probably just a little oversight. I would have just politely interrupted and said "Excuse me, but x doesn't seem to have a ball yet "

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

tubster  (28-06-2014)