+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 4month old low weight gain

ds is 18 weeks and child health nurse has been tracking his weight the past couple of weeks and have noticed that he is only putting on around 50g per week which is nothing. I'm exclusively breast feeding because he decided to refuse the bottle at 4 months and have been trying to get him back on the bottle. That way Atleast I could give him some formula.

I feel sad because now I feel like I'm not feeding him enough. Mind u he sleeps well at night. Nurse suggested seeing a lactation consultant to help out with supply as he may not be getting enough from me. She said their weight gain is an indication of your supply; they will only take as much as you supply......

I dnt know what to do..... Has anyone else had this issue with baby not gaining weight?......

Sent from my C6903 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How is he to you? Happy, bright, obviously sleeps well, satisfied after feeding, wet/dirty nappies? If yes, then forget the scales! My DD was always a slow grower, as she was my second I refused to weigh her and just went off the above. She is naturally a little person. I had more milk than a jersey cow.
    I hear so often MCHN's telling Mums to put babies on formula because they aren't doing what a chart says -no wonder the breastfeeding rate is in rapid decline! Trust your instincts on this one.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (29-06-2014),J37  (28-06-2014),loulou21  (28-06-2014),MummbearPapabearNCubs  (12-08-2014),VicPark  (28-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with MummaOJ

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There is a weight chart that is based on breast fed babies - I will see if I can link it - on the chart the MCHN used, my DS dropped from the 90th to 50th percentile - but on the breastfed chart he stayed on the 90th percentile.

I agree with PP - if your buns is happy, sleeping, has wet nappies etc then you are supplying enough milk.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

loulou21  (28-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with everyone else. Some babies just grow slowly, as long as he is happy, plenty of wet nappies, not constantly wanting to feed and meeting milestones I wouldn't worry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Weird - my last reply is missing - it's probably appearing in another thread that's on a totally different subject!

Anyway, I found the chart but can't get the link to work but have a look in the Breastfeeding support section - they have an area of stickies - scroll down a bit the growth chart is there - thread is called Growth Chart for Breastfed Babies/Children.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

loulou21  (28-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was always told it was the months not the weeks that give a better indication of how bubs is growing. The only way to see that bubs is getting enough being BF is output and general well being. Is he happy and settled and well? Does he have plenty of wet nappies? Then he is just fine and more than likely just setting his own pace with his growth IMO.

Dd is a small bub. She started off in the 90th percentile for weight at birth. (She was a chubba). But since birth till now she has done the following with her weight gains-

0-5mths exclusively BF -average 50-80g weight/week

5-6mths -still only BF -didn't put on much at all. Very ready for solids.

6mths-7mths- mix fed & starting solids- average 50-80g weight/week

7-9mths - eats like she has hollow legs.. Sometimes she eats so much she pukes from overfilling. Still mix fed... average 50-80g weight/week

Dd is happy, bright, plenty of wet and dirty nappies. She is standing, crawling, smiling, talking babytalk. She has always met her milestones developmentally and so long as she is happy and well I have no reason to believe there is anything wrong.

The chart is an 'average' only. There will always be bubs who fall above and below the average. That doesn't automatically mean there is something wrong. Just that they are growing at their own rate.
    It annoys me a little that health professionals seem to say, 'they will all grow and learn at their own pace' when talking about crawling and walking etc .. But if your baby doesn't fall into this little line on a chart with their weight - there's something wrong.
    Last edited by MadeWithLove; 28-06-2014 at 21:17.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MadeWithLove For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (29-06-2014),loulou21  (28-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks wobbly horse. According to the WHO chart DS was just below the 85th percentile n at 4 months he has dropped to just above the 15th percentile.
    Birth weight 3.72kg, 17 weeks- 6.46, 18weeks- 6.51kg

Sent from my SM-P600 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks MadeWithLove. DS is a happy Bub. He has always been a good sleeper, has his moments during the day when he fights his sleep but sleeps well through night. I guess when you read things like, babies 'should' double their birth weight by 4-5 months, as a ftm you start to worry like me.
    I never weighed DS weekly until I started mothers group and it was then that the child health nurse has really got me concerned.
    DS wets his nappies as much as he should be, his urine is not dark or smelly, his bowel movements are normal, his milestones are being reached (he's not rolling yet, but can roll tummy to back with a bit of help but he is really trying to do it himself ) ......
    Uurgghh mixed emotions n so confused !

Sent from my SM-P600 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always got told most kids double their birth weight by 6 months. You've got a bit if time up your sleeve yet.