+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default TT in public toilets? What do you do?

Hi Mums,
    my little guy just turned two and doing great on the potty at home. So far we've been doing pull-ups when out and about as we've been moving to a new city etc and I just needed one less thing to worry about.

Now that we are settled though, I've recently started asking him if he wants to use the toilet when we're at the shops and I know where the toilets are. Up til yesterday he's always said no but I've been taking him to the facilities anyway so he can have a look around and get used to the idea and I've been telling him any time he's ready, he can start doing pee pees not just at home but when we're out too.

So yesterday while visiting Daddy's new office, he suddenly announced he needed to pee pee and I said yay thanks for telling me, let's go! Got him to the toilet but got a bit flustered. Ended up:
    - quickly wiping the seat with an anti bacterial wipe
    - taking his shoes off,
    - taking off the pull up nappy
    - perching him on the toilet while supporting him so he wouldn't fall in
    - he freaked out a bit but did a pee pee though some of it went on the floor.

Im thinking, there's got to be a better way of doing things!!!

So mums, tell me, what do you do??

1. He's got such short little legs so at home I always take off his undies completely when he goes to the potty which works great in case he pees a bit on the floor. Should I take off his shoes and remove his pants and pull up completely as well?
    2. How to sit him on the toilet without him being scared of falling in? And also not getting the floor wet!

I do realise this is a stupid sort of thing to be asking but I'm really mystified and would appreciate hearing what others do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am curious too! we have just started introducing the tt concept to dd and not sure about what to do when out and about :-)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't know...I never used a potty at home, just the toilet, so it was all just the same thing, except I would hold them on the seat so they didn't need to hold on themselves. With my son I just got him to hold his penis down so it didn't go everywhere, but we did that at home too.
    I've never stripped my kids off completely, or wiped a seat with an antibacterial wipe to use a toilet.
    However, in big shopping complexes there should be a parents room with a kids sized toilet next to an adult size toilet. You could make a few trips out to a place that has those while you both get used to your son using the toilet in public?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (03-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah my son just got used to perching on a big toilet over time. I'd start getting him to sit on the toilet at home as well so it's not a new thing (toilet compared to potty) as well as being out.. He also points his doodle down (but that doesn't always work lol). I've heard of people keeping a potty in the boot for out and about, but I've never been able to get my head around that lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS always stood up to do a wee. If you go to a parents room they have smaller toilets that make this possible for them to do independently. When he was smaller and it was a bigger toilet I used to hold him up whilst he directed his doodle into the toilet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I personally skipped the potty altogether. I never removed shoes and pants completely. As for using a toilet out in public, I guess it's just something they get use to over time. You can actually buy a foldable seat that you place on top of the toilet to make smaller. Might be worth looking into? I had a friend that always used one when out.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    It doesn't have to be so complicated!

If he can reach to stand and he's comfortable in doing that, then do that.

If not, pull his pants down, sit him on the seat. Sit him back enough that his penis hangs down and won't wee anywhere else. Or, teach his to push his penis down a bit. If you're a germophobe, hold him under the arms to balance him. If not, tell him to put his hands down and hold the seat beside his bum.

Easy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    These are the foldable/travel toilet seats I mentioned in the above post.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Attached Images

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I used the foldable seats for a little while. Now my DS knows how to hold onto the seat to not fall in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD was on the potty and learn to use a big toilet while out before learning to use it at home (just out of necessity really). It was a bit awkward at first while we both got the hang of it. She's skinny with long legs and could really actually fall in the toilet unless I supported her. She would sit on the front half of the toilet and lean a little forward, which would tilt her groin down so wees didn't go in the wrong direction. I would stand in front of her, lean over the top and place my hands/forearms down her back like a seat back so she couldn't tilt backwards and fall in. She could either hold on to me or onto the seat (which totally grossed me out!). With a boy though you will probably also need to teach him to push his penis down at the same time as those thinks are like a freakin' fire hose!