+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Problem with local hospital

My DS 5 months has contracted a rather nasty virus. He has always had issues with reflux, intolerances and feeding. Atm he is only taking 30mls if that per bottlw because he is sick he is dehydrated screaming and waking every 10 minutes as he has done since he started getting sick a few days ago. He was admitted to the childrens ward on arrival to the hospital as he saw his usual paed 2 days before who was concerned but could not admit him because there where no beds. Since being here they have looked at him once changed his feeding schedule which made things worse and have not been back to see him since. He seems to be getting worse more lethargic although unable to sleep because he is in pain. I was told they where meant to see him and other babies on the ward hours ago but they never showed. I dont know what to do ive pretty much stomped my foot as hard as I can and they still aren't doing anything! Do I take him to another hospital the closest being 6 hours away or do I simply wait and see bearing in mind he is dehydrated refusing feeds and lethargic.......

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0151 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Oh Hun I'm not sure what to do as I have never been in that situation before. Will they look at a drip or tube feeding? What are the nurses saying about the delay? How big is your hospital? 6 hours is a long drive I would be hesitant to move bub at the moment.
    - hopefully another BH mummy can help out..
    Poor bubba xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I don't know if this is a knobby idea or not but you could always call the health direct line and get their advice . Perhaps there are things you could do in hospital to help..?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Juzz  (28-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's horrible! Is there any nurses you can get in side that might be able to either assist in helping him feed or put a cracker up someone's bum? I hope your DS is at least being monitored

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh gosh Hun that must be so stressful and scary. If another hospital is 6 hours away though I would recommend you stay put just in case he deteriorates rapidly. He is under care where he is (no matter how inadequate it may be) so if things took a turn he is at least in the right place.
    I hope you get seen to quickly and your ds gets better soon. Massive hugs xxxx
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 27-06-2014 at 21:18.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

alexis243  (27-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Aww hunny that sounds awful and extra unnecessary stress for you and your bubba. It is understandable that they may be busy and your boy isn't their number one priority BUT he is your baby and he is your highest priority. That part needs to be respected and really doesn't sound like it is.

Keep showing your face, when they say we will be there "soon" ask how long soon is, 30minutes? 1hour? When that time has lapsed show your face again, be bold and advocate for you and your boy (as you have every right to do). If you still aren't happy with their response/reaction then ask to speak with the nurse in charge. At the very least they can take 30 secs to pop their head in and say still caught up, please be patient. This shows you that they know you are there and waiting. Anxiety breeds in situations like this and babies and children pick up on this from their parents which delays recovery, they would know this. I'm positive this would be against at least one if not more of their patient value statements, I hope they get their act together soon x
    Last edited by Soon2be4; 27-06-2014 at 21:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Paed came gave panadol and left! DS hasn't slept in days!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you don't feel like you are being listened to can you ask to see the social worker? They may be able to advocate for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by LiterallyNoOne View Post
    Paed came gave panadol and left! DS hasn't slept in days!

Ahh... What's their longer term plan to get bub better and eating ???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Non at this point and I saw the social worker earlier no help there