+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Buying a House - WWYD?

Hey everyone,

So DP and i are looking to buy a house.

He wants to stay in the area we are in now; its cheap compare to the rest of sydney and all our friends and family are here. Its also easier for work.

I have been looking at houses an hour radius from where we are now and have found some really cute, quiet rural towns. Properties there are super cheap for top renovated houses on large blocks of land. Its peaceful, we can extend if we choose too and i just think it is a perfect place to get away from Sydney living without being too far. Quite frankly i hate Sydney living.

It is however an hour away from my babysitters and work. So travelling most days in inevitable.

DP doesnt think it is worth it and really isnt to happy with the idea of all that travelling. He likes the area ive been looking at, loves the idea and the houses but cant get past the travelling.

WWYD?
    Would you still do it even with all the travel or just stick to local? Am i crazy for wanting to commit to 2 hrs driving a day just to get to work for a really nice house on large land in a quiet, peaceful and slow area?

Help!

💜 DD1 aka Peanut 💜 Due 28.10.14
    Last edited by MummaCat; 27-06-2014 at 17:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would stay put. 2 hours of commuting would wreck me. Totally see the appeal though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I couldn't commute that far to work, even for that lifestyle. Can you get a job in one of these areas you want to move?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    I couldn't commute that far to work, even for that lifestyle. Can you get a job in one of these areas you want to move?
    Closest i could get for my job is 30 min each way. Issue is being part time i couldnt afford childcare so my mum is my primary babysitter and she would be an hour away.

Its rather frustrating and disappointing knowing that you have an opportunity to own a really nice house in a great area etc etc but cant.

💜 DD1 aka Peanut 💜 Due 28.10.14

Thanks
    Reviews
    2 hours is a bit too much for me, DH currently does 45m each way and it's killing him

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had to drive an hour each way to work and it was so exhausting. I love that I'm now only 20 mins from work and would not work any further away.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Zeddie For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (27-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Stay put

Thanks
    Reviews
    Living rural it won't just be the work commute, it's also the travel to get to everything. Doctors, clothes shopping, anything other than bare essentials. If you moved you would need to really commit to the new area, make local friends as catching up with your friends an hour away all the time won't be practicable. People won't do that drive to visit you often either.

Have you looked into daycare costs in the rural area? Typically they are a lot cheaper as they just don't have the overheads to pay. So if you can get cheap daycare close by, work a bit closer and feel ready to commit to laying down roots in a new community, then it might be an option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think you're crazy, because that's exactly what we did. We moved to the Perth hills about 18 months ago. I travel over an hour to work then back each day. I don't really mind it. Sometimes it's annoying when you just want to get home after work and you know you have a 75 minute drive ahead of you, but the trade of being able to live where we do is totally worth it for me. I hate the city, and when I'm driving home, as soon as I reach the bottom of the hill and get among all those trees and wildlife, I instantly relax. I could never ever go back to living closer to the city now.

Anywhere we go now that is less than a 45 minute drive we consider "close by". For us, it only took a couple of months to get used to living further away from things. It doesn't bother us at all - we have friends that live 90 minutes away, so we just leave 90 minutes before we have to get there <shrug> We were really tossing up whether to buy this house too because we thought the distance would bother us, but it hasn't.

I would say it depends a fair bit on your actual lifestyle though. That's what we weighed up. We are stay at home, do the gardening, watch movies, raise animals type people. If we were party goers who loved going into the city for a night out, we wouldn't have done it.

ETA: Just saw Stretched's post and yes, many friends wont bother making the trip out, but we've found all of the ones we really want to see will. We usually offer to go to them, but they seem to like coming out to us anyway.
    Last edited by HillDweller; 27-06-2014 at 18:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I spend 2 hours a day traveling to and from work and it doesn't bother me, but our families live near us as well. If you are doing it because the houses are cheaper, then you need to factor in extra car expenses and that can be expensive. Not only do you use more fuel, but you'll run up the kms on your car quicker. Could you consider renting in the area for a year and see if you like it before buying