+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Healthier eating

Ok, I've had a quick squiz in my pantry, and here are my staples. Sorry, it's a huge list, but I bought this in bulk (as in 5/10 kilos) in January and still haven't had to replace a lot of this. Also not sure how some of these fit in with your dietary stuff:

Cereals and Grains:

Rice - arborio, basmati, brown, wild
    Flour - wholemeal, bread maker, spelt (wholemeal, unbleached and white)
    Oats
    Cornflour

Oils

Coconut, olive, peanut, grapeseed

Sweeteners

Maple syrup, brown sugar, rapadura, coconut sugar, raw sugar, dates, figs, vanilla bean extract, honey, dark chocolate

Nuts, Legumes and Seeds

Nuts - almonds (great for almond meal), peanuts, pine nuts, cashews, walnuts, hazelnuts, slivered almonds

Legumes - dried kidney beans, dried borlotti beans, dried lentils, dried chickpeas

Seeds - linseed, sesame, poppy, pumpkin, fennel

Herbs and Spices

Basically everything I could find!

Condiments

Vinegar - apple cider, white wine, red wine, balsamic
    Worcestershire sauce
    Mustard
    Soy sauce and tamari
    Lemon juice

Stuff that I don't know exactly what it is :-)

Bread improver, dry yeast, baking soda, baking powder, sea salt, desiccated coconut

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    @harvs where did you get bulk wholemeal flour from?

Supermarkets tend to only sell it in 1kg bags
    In SA there's an online supermarket that does bulk called bananablue, but there are also some places that deliver Australia wide. Kombu Wholefoods are good too.

Here are some from quirky's website:

http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com.au...ng-co-ops.html

YMo7 is offline 37 week ultrasound of our baby girl
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That's awesome. Bulk is definitely great for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am planning on a healthy path as well. I am struggling with adrenal fatigue ATM and my hormones are also out of whack.
    These are some of the changes I've made:

I am trying to cut out all gluten as humans can't break it down properly anyway.
    I am aiming for a Paleo diet except not cutting out dairy.
    I have swapped table salt to himalayan pink salt.
    Make my own butter from pure cream.
    Learning all about fermentation and eating them a few times a day. I've made sauerkraut and currently making kombucha, milk kefir and water kefir. These are all loaded with probiotics.
    I've also made a healing bone broth and incorporating that daily.

Have a look into GAPS diet. It makes a lot of sense to me. In order to be healthy our gut bacteria needs to be balanced.
    I've read success stories of people healing their allergies through the GAPS protocol.

Good luck. I hope you start to see changes soon x
    Last edited by Fiery; 28-06-2014 at 08:39.

YMo7 is offline 37 week ultrasound of our baby girl
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We'll we have done this since Thursday night... Kids are better behaved, and while I still crave white chocolate, I feel better too. My husband is also loving it.

Kids are having a treat now but are all 4 are sitting STILL watching the top cat movie which is amazing!

I had a naughty breakfast of scrambled eggs and bacon and felt gross immediately - like, oh gross fat hit! And couldn't eat it all very pleased.... No more fatty food for me!!! Yay

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by YMo7 View Post
    We'll we have done this since Thursday night... Kids are better behaved, and while I still crave white chocolate, I feel better too. My husband is also loving it.

Kids are having a treat now but are all 4 are sitting STILL watching the top cat movie which is amazing!

I had a naughty breakfast of scrambled eggs and bacon and felt gross immediately - like, oh gross fat hit! And couldn't eat it all very pleased.... No more fatty food for me!!! Yay
    Honestly that breakfast is healthy! Look into low carb high fat, it will change your life! Some reading, christine cronau, wheat belly total health, I quit sugar. Today's definition of healthy eating is far from what it needs to be. There's so much to read, it's so eye opening! A great YouTube video series to look at is called 'the men who made us fat'.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pooks For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (04-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    You have a lot on your plate (no pun intended) and every right to be tired and worn down. The changes you are looking at making look great, but they are big, big changes. I worry that it might be too much to take on all at once and you might be setting yourself up to fail.

I would break down your changes into weekly goals that build on each other. This gives you and your family time to adjust and fully incorporate the first change before introducing the next one.

So week 1 might be to bake some savoury snacks and remove all packet crisps, crackers, corn chips etc from everyone's snack time.

Week 2 will be to bake savoury snacks, plus morning tea must include one piece of fruit for everyone.

Week 3 will be to bake savoury snacks, eat fruit at morning tea plus implement a non-food reward system for the family.

Week 4 will be to bake savoury snacks, eat fruit, new reward system plus start baking your own bread.

Etc, etc, until you have all your changes in place. You may find 2-3 changes each week becomes manageable. Get your children involved in the process, helping you to bake, to shop and your older children may also want to set their own goals for each week as well.
    Totally agree, the ladies on here have helped me make slow changes to our diet. After removing most preservatives and additives for the kids, I'm about to hit my caffeine addiction!