+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    YMo7 is offline 37 week ultrasound of our baby girl
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Healthier eating

So, I am thinking about "mostly clean eating" for my family of 8.

I am lactose intolerant, have a seafood allergy and am celiac. I have become overweight (from since 12/14 to size 16/18) since eating gluten free diet. (Treadmill gets off layby mid July).

My 7 yo son is bipolar and autistic.

My 12 yo daughter eats her large meals and everyone's leftovers.

I eat a block of chocolate a day.

My kids are quite hyperactive (I think possibly due to too many sweets)

My 8 yo daughter and 5 yo daughter have teeth issues.

My 14 yo daughter thinks that she is fat (which she definitely isn't) and wants to eat healthy.

I offer healthy options at every meal, 5 healthy meals a day.

My husband bribes the kids with treats which I hate. (Please no negativity there, he gets enough about it from me).

My 7yo son, 5 yo daughter and 3 yo son still yet the bed (wear drynites).

My husband and I are tired ALL the time.

My 5 yo daughter thinks she can sleep in our room every night.

My 3 yo thinks he can sleep on the lounge every night.

So...... Now that you have a bit of a background, here's what we are thinking of doing.

We don't want to eat anything from a packet.
    All drinks are to be water, tea, coffee, milk or freshly juiced veggies and fruit.
    All "sweets" are to be made from scratch using 1/2 the amount of honey as alternative to sugar.
    No chocolate or chocolate flavoured food unless it's using natural cocoa chocolate.
    All breads and pastas are to be homemade from scratch.
    All snacks are to be fruit vege or dairy.
    Everyone is allowed 1 small treat per day.
    No fried foods.
    Meat 4 times a week max.

Please help with anything more that you think will work to try and help these problems.

TIA. I am determined to make this work and so is my husband.....

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    First of all, it's great that you want to make some changes to your lifestyle. You will probably find that your mood and energy levels increase with the types of changes you are suggesting.

Just thought I'd pop in to make a couple of suggestions - for me, meal planning is an absolute must. I am strict about only buying the foods required for the week. It means I don't buy junky extras on impulse. I'm not sure what your financial situation is, but doing a big bulk shop so you have plenty of basic staples has really helped me. Also, I have two days set aside to cook in bulk which means the effort on the other days is minimal. I'm happy to share the staples I have if you're interested.

I've been making similar changes to my lifestyle, and two websites that I've really loved for recipes are my new roots and green kitchen stories. These sites are vegetarian, but I often add some chicken or tuna to the recipes. Whole food simply has some great recipes for 'treats'.

You are looking at making a lot of changes, so I would suggest some mini goals to start with ie up water intake, or no junk food etc.

I'm not sure what you are defining as treats, but in would strongly suggest looking at some of the sites I suggested for healthier options. But that's coming from a position for me, mentally, where I am kind of all or nothing. Two squares of chocolate means nothing to me - it's none or the whole block!

Good luck, and remember it takes 6 weeks for new habits to take hold :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Meal planning is something I do already and I love it

Your staples would be welcomed

Treats - I bake - like all the time, so that website would suit me great, if I can make healthy muesli slice, or banana ice cream (using just banana is awesome), etc... It means the kids can still have treats but they don't necessarily think they are eating too healthy iykwim...

My family eats heaps of freshly caught fish and crabs, while I eat heaps of salads already.... It's really just the "extras" that need to change.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awesome websites guys.....

My first cleaner eating shopping will be done tonight.... So excited!

Thanks
    Reviews
    You have a lot on your plate (no pun intended) and every right to be tired and worn down. The changes you are looking at making look great, but they are big, big changes. I worry that it might be too much to take on all at once and you might be setting yourself up to fail.

I would break down your changes into weekly goals that build on each other. This gives you and your family time to adjust and fully incorporate the first change before introducing the next one.

So week 1 might be to bake some savoury snacks and remove all packet crisps, crackers, corn chips etc from everyone's snack time.

Week 2 will be to bake savoury snacks, plus morning tea must include one piece of fruit for everyone.

Week 3 will be to bake savoury snacks, eat fruit at morning tea plus implement a non-food reward system for the family.

Week 4 will be to bake savoury snacks, eat fruit, new reward system plus start baking your own bread.

Etc, etc, until you have all your changes in place. You may find 2-3 changes each week becomes manageable. Get your children involved in the process, helping you to bake, to shop and your older children may also want to set their own goals for each week as well.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

CakeyMumma  (27-06-2014),Jontu  (27-06-2014),Nomia  (04-11-2014),ScubaGal  (27-06-2014),Teenz  (28-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It sounds like you just need to ditch the packet/processed foods - I also don't associated the word "treat" with food - as I don't want DS thinking healthy food is boring and junk food is fun or a reward

Now could be a great time to try new foods/cuisines - what kind of dinners do you do now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the thought, but I'm an all or nothing person.... If I start off small, it will stay small... I need to start how I want to finish, or for me, personally, and my family, it just won't work unfortunately.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to YMo7 For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (27-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Everyone has some great ideas.

Get a Pinterest account - it's a great way to keep track of recipes from all over the net and it's free. You could even have different boards for gluten free, sugar free / low sugar, snacks, dinners, breakfasts, etc. it will help with your meal planning.

Get the kids involved in helping you prepare healthy snacks and meals with age appropriate tasks. They'll be more likely to eat it if they were involved. Although if you're smuggling veggies at the start, you might need to do the prep for some meals on your own.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Elijah's mum....

I absolutely love being in the kitchen cooking or prepping food... So our meals are changing really regularly, we are lucky to have the same thing twice in a month coz there are just so many things that I make... I love variety, I love change....

So far on this weeks menu plan for dinners is veggie soup, Chinese chicken salad, pork San choy bow, zucchini tomato frittata and fresh baked bream.

Breakfasts will be poached eggs, yoghurt, fruit, muesli

Lunches will be salads, sushi, omellettes

Snacks will be banana "icecream", fruit platters, veggies and homemade dips.

Just need to keep searching for what else to add to my lists

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ps. Loving the veggie smugglers site

13. The Following User Says Thank You to YMo7 For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (27-06-2014)