+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dh spends a lot of time with the kids. From the moment we get home from work it's quality family time and the weekend is all about the boys. Ds will kick the footy with the boys, take them bike riding, read books, do homework with ds, we will go out on the quad riding, fishing, camping, out on the boat, 4 wheel driving. Dh always helps with the night routine of dinner, bath and reading before bedtime also.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by himherandhe View Post

just sometimes life isn't quite what is expected and I blame tv and shows like seventh heaven for giving misleading expectations. lol.
    Lol tv has a lot to answer for!

Are your kids happy, reasonably well behaved and comfortable interacting with him? I'd be using this as a gauge rather than organised activity time. If you are getting approached by your kids a lot to do activities with them (their initiative not parent initiated) and he is home at the time, do your kids also approach him to be involved? If so, how does that go?

Some dads are just 'there', thats ok. Plenty of kids who do not have a dad present at all still manage to turn out fine.

Do you reckon that your differences and expectations could be attributed to you both having different upbringings/parent styles of your parents? DH and I have very different family backgrounds and we have had to make conscious decisions about how we will raise our children. We do aim for a 50/50 style in all the parenting roles and chores and work/income/financial responsibilities. This took time to develop and works for us, it wasn't something that just happened.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My hubby was away alot for a work but not anymore and he spends a little time each night with our dd and takes her out maybe twice a week to the park wow big deal. He spends no where near what he should be and now I'm dreading having my second baby as she is simply not use to him. Oh well culture shock coming up he has to learn the hard way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My hubby is great with our kids. I can't say how much time he spends with them each day, because it's different each day due to work demands. He's a very hands on dad though, and weekends are all about the kids when we are both not working. If I'm working, and he's not, he goes off and has a ball with the kids, sometimes grabbing a couple of the kids friends as well to include in all of his fun.
    My husband grew up without a dad from 6 years of age due to a very messy divorce, he has always been determined to be there for his kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Dh works fifo interstate, 2 weeks on 1 week off but sometimes he is away 3 weeks and only home for 4 days before leaving again. He talks to the kids every night he is away and when he is home he spends as much time as possible with them. Hasnt always been like this though. Working in town he could go weeks without seeing them as he would be at work before they got up and home after they went to bed. When he was home, he would always be answering calls from work or be getting called out to a job or into the office. When he did get a break he would spend his time playing on his phone or doing his own thing. Thankfully he had a wake up call and now makes time for them.

He + Me = dd1 (July 2007), dd2 (July 2010), dd3 (August 2012), dd4 (May 2014)
    Embrace the chaos

Thanks
    Reviews
    Funnily enough hubby read this thread and we talked about it like we have done numerous times before, but he admits that he doesn't spend a lot of quality time with them. It's hard and I try to be understanding as he is self employed and spend a lot of time working ir doing business stuff and I try and let home have wind down time as I know how stressful and important running the business is, it's our livelihood.

I don't expect him to come home and spend every spare minute with them just to dedicate some time playing with them as we have three boys and they love and need there dad.

We both are going to try and make a conscious choice to spend more time with the kids so we took them for a Bush walk this morning then toy shopping.
    Que sera, the kids have said to grandparents that dad spend a lot of time on the computer and do ask for him to play with them but the boys seem ok when he is just 'there'.

Being a mum sure is a tough job. And yes no tv show do you see the kids playing up for hours and fighting while mums in the kitchen screaming for them to stop. Lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
    Dh spends a lot of time with our kids. If he is home then he is always 'present' while the kids are awake. We have a 5 yr old (at full time school) and a 3 month old. Dh works full time (mon-fri). I would say he spends a good 2 hours each weekday of quality time with our kids, on average. On weekends the whole time is pretty much family time unless one of us have something else planned (like dh may go to a football game, or I may have breakfast with my girlfriends, for example). Dh would never do his hobbies while our kids are awake.
    This is pretty much exactly my DH. He spends from 6:30-8pm each night with the kids, and then all weekend unless either of us have plans.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Partner does more for the kids and spends more time with them then what their bio father does.