+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Before and after school care

I'm thinking of organising my own program for parents at my local primary school.
    I have no idea what requirements I would have to meet.
    I live 5min walk from the school, so I was thinking would I be allowed to 'walk' X amount if primary students to and from my home?

What is the cost of care now? I could probably half the amount parents pay and have care in my own home.

I'm a (high school) teacher, so have experience with 20-25 kids at one time.

I would have to think about things like: activities, snacks, updating first aide, insurance etc.

Do you think it's a doable idea?

I'm only worried about the communication with parents side of things (if a child is away sick from school, doesn't show up when they're meant to, etc).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You would essentially be setting up a family daycare (but without taking small children or children through the day) so would need to meet all of the requirements for that. I'd start with your local council for ideas on the requirements. I would expect with your degree and WCC etc you're already half way there.

If your school doesn't have a OCHC on site then I imagine there will be a market for this service though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As a full time working parent of a child starting primary school next year and struggling to get a spot at OSHC this would be an absolute lifesaver for me.

I think the set up costs are a fair bit though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know much about the logistics of it but my kids school only got OOSH when the woman who did her own OOSH type thing moved on as she graduated from university. She ran her on home OOSH for 7 years I believe. She would walk kids to and from school as she lived close and everyone who utilised her services was happy. Parents would text if their child was sick, but I believe she still got paid if it was under 24 hours notice (or something like that).
    Sorry I can't help you out more, I never used her services, but she had the details in the enrollment package for kindergarten.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks for your replies. Ds starts prep next year and they do have care, but I'm not sure of costs and numbers. I might check it all out next year before seriously considering it myself.

Would parents mind if I walked them to and from school?

I assume I could potentially make a good income for 4 hrs work a day.

The downside would be less quality time with my own children before and after school. Also if I'm really sick myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you know who runs the school OSHC? DD's school is run by Camp Australia. You can get all the fee details from their website, here are her school's:

Curriculum Day 7:00 AM to 6:30 PM $51.20
    After Care 3:30 PM to 6:30 PM $22.31
    After Care Casual 3:30 PM to 6:30 PM $27.31
    Before Care 6:45 AM to 8:45 AM $17.82
    Before Care Casual 6:45 AM to 8:45 AM $22.82

I wouldn't have an issue with my child being walked to/from school so long as there was maximum 4-5 children with you in total.

You would want to check with Family Assistance that FDC qualifies for the same rebates to parents as OSHC. This may impact on the fees you can charge.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (27-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, as the existing OSHC probably have a deal with the school, you may not be able to advertise in the newsletter etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    Do you know who runs the school OSHC? DD's school is run by Camp Australia. You can get all the fee details from their website, here are her school's:

Curriculum Day 7:00 AM to 6:30 PM $51.20
    After Care 3:30 PM to 6:30 PM $22.31
    After Care Casual 3:30 PM to 6:30 PM $27.31
    Before Care 6:45 AM to 8:45 AM $17.82
    Before Care Casual 6:45 AM to 8:45 AM $22.82

I wouldn't have an issue with my child being walked to/from school so long as there was maximum 4-5 children with you in total.

You would want to check with Family Assistance that FDC qualifies for the same rebates to parents as OSHC. This may impact on the fees you can charge.

How many children would be the max in home?
    I would have thought I could walk more than 5 (in line) to school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your best option would be to register with a family day care agency like mission Australia

We used their services for causal care for dd. I know our lady could only have 4 babies at a time. But I'm not sure about the ratio with older kids before and after school.
    They organise all the sign in/out forms, legalities and make sure you are compliant with the Guidelines and also process the CCB for the paying families.

Although your initial rate might be lower, if you aren't a registered provider you can't offer CCB discounts. So some ppl might find registered care a cheaper option after their rebates kick in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no idea what the FDC ratio is for school age children.

I know school excursions when walking somewhere outside school grounds for young years you'd have enough parent helpers to have 5 children per adult. For year 6 though I have done a ratio of 1 adult per 10 (walking around a country town though). Those kids are old enough to be latch-key kids generally anyhow though.