+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    I just dont understand this. Not even a tiny bit.

There are a LOT of religious based schools (my daughter attends one). If you want your children to learn about religion and have rligious based instruction ... you would send them to one of those. Or take them to church.

Public schools should not have religious based instruction.
    Why should a child be denied religious education if the parents can't afford to send them to a religious school?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shazzars View Post
    Why should a child be denied religious education if the parents can't afford to send them to a religious school?
    Because students who don't want to attend aren't allowed to learn anything whilst the other kids do religious instruction. So half an hour of waste.

I would much rather kids learn about all religions and if you are that desperate for your child to learn about religion then you could do it yourself.

At my daughter's school, it's had an hour a week on a Friday and at the p&c we've just discussed ethics classes. I would still rather my kids learn about all religions than ethics classes. I wish they could change it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (26-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't know a lot about religious studies in schools (I don't have school aged children) and I think parents should be responsible. You don't have to be in a private school to learn about religion, this is something you can teach at home.

If it is/was to be taught to my child I would want them to learn about ALL religions and not be told that others are superior. I believe that with knowledge comes understanding and acceptance and hope that beliefs like 'all Muslims are terrorists' would disappear with our children's generation. I don't feel I know enough about other religions to teach my child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We don't have them at ds school.

If we did, I would have no issue with him attending . It wouldn't bother me.