+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I totally agree with PP's saying be positive as little ones can totally pick up on your vibe.

I would also start leaving bub with hubby for longer periods which would include putting bub to bed. Sure it may take a bit of work at the start but that's better than the alternative (affecting the bubba daddy bond down the track). Also what's the point in having a hubby if you can't have them look after bub while you treat yourself to a day (or night) out?

Good luck

2. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

calicocat  (26-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just wanted to add dd still wasn't sleeping through when I returned to work either. That did make it extra tough. My first day back I'd had a horror night and was literally running off 1 hour sleep! Next night wasn't much better either.

You get through it somehow and you do survive. Your ds will survive. And yes it is true- it DOES get easier. Hope your sleep battles get sorted soon!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

calicocat  (26-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    After reading all of your replies I think I'll have a word to the ILs about possibly looking after DS at our place, at least to start with. It makes total sense that he would feel more comfortable in his own surroundings. They only live a 2 min walk away so it shouldn't be a big deal for them.

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I totally agree with PP's saying be positive as little ones can totally pick up on your vibe.

I would also start leaving bub with hubby for longer periods which would include putting bub to bed. Sure it may take a bit of work at the start but that's better than the alternative (affecting the bubba daddy bond down the track). Also what's the point in having a hubby if you can't have them look after bub while you treat yourself to a day (or night) out?

Good luck
    This is actually really timely and great advice. I'm going out to dinner tomorrow night with some friends and it will be the first time bub will be alone with dad for the evening. I'm a bit nervous and will keep my phone nearby but I need some 'me' time (and wine) dammit!
    Thanks again for all of your great advice and reassurances that it does get easier, it's exactly what I need to hear.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by calicocat View Post
    After reading all of your replies I think I'll have a word to the ILs about possibly looking after DS at our place, at least to start with. It makes total sense that he would feel more comfortable in his own surroundings. They only live a 2 min walk away so it shouldn't be a big deal for them.
    Can you take bub around to their place as a familiarization? If not Just be careful to stress to the inlaws that looking after bub in your home is only a temporary measure. I know people say grandkids are a blessing yada yada yada.... IMO looking after grandkids more than on an adhoc basis would be a pain in the ****. When I retire I am going to be going on holidays, shopping, having coffee, reading the paper... Not changing nappies and cleaning up crusted weetbix off everything. My point is that looking after someone else's kids is already doing them a huge favour. Looking after those kids not in your own home is an unnecessary added inconvenience (when bub is asleep you can't do your own cleaning, cooking, pottering about.... ). Demanding the inlaws look after bub in your house may erode the good will.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

calicocat  (27-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    lol VicPark I love your plans for retirement!!

I agree with you and I don't think it such a huge deal for a baby to go to another place during the day.
    It may even be easier for him to understand that there are different rules at grandma/pa's house and when he is at home with you it's back to usual rules!

My husband was minded by his grand mother at his house when he was a baby and he has very fond memories of the house (obviously the memories came later though!).

So many babies go to a childcare centre to be minded while their parents work and they are ok with having two "home"
    environments.

However it would be SO convenient for you of bub is minded at your place. No rushing to get him ready in the mornings

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In relation to where, my DS actually was more distressed at our house as he wandered around the house looking for me and got upset that he couldn't find me. The change of scenery at my parents' place made it easier for him to understand that I was at work.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Electric Boogaloo For This Useful Post:

calicocat  (27-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Can you take bub around to their place as a familiarization? If not Just be careful to stress to the inlaws that looking after bub in your home is only a temporary measure. I know people say grandkids are a blessing yada yada yada.... IMO looking after grandkids more than on an adhoc basis would be a pain in the ****. When I retire I am going to be going on holidays, shopping, having coffee, reading the paper... Not changing nappies and cleaning up crusted weetbix off everything. My point is that looking after someone else's kids is already doing them a huge favour. Looking after those kids not in your own home is an unnecessary added inconvenience (when bub is asleep you can't do your own cleaning, cooking, pottering about.... ). Demanding the inlaws look after bub in your house may erode the good will.
    Hmm, good point. They are taking on a lot and I don't want to burden them further. We go over to their place a couple of times a week, when they're not off holidaying, and DS is definitely getting more comfortable there and is interested in their toys and stomping about getting into everything. We'll have to ramp it up over the next couple of weeks and go from there.
    Thanks for your help!