+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 65 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think we ended up with an extended rear facing seat by sheer luck- its a maxi cos nxt or something- rear facing to 36 months dependant on bubs height.
    We ended up with this one as we didnt want to get a capsule system so needed something from birth.
    Couldn't be bothered doing the research on a capsule only to have to buy a car seat in about 6 months! There are so many things to buy, I was over it. Likewise for monitors, I can't be bothered deciding which to get so having none. Simpler the better!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeh we didn't bother with the capsule either. We just put the money into a really good seat so that should hopefully last us Until she's about 4 or 5. We also don't have a monitor. Or any extras really. Pram, cradle, car seat, a ring sling carrier and some draws/ change table are all we have bar nappies, clothes and linen. Oh and I bought a breast pump online yesterday so that DP can do some feeding too. I want to start her off early with both of us so she settles with us equally.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A&S For This Useful Post:

Chekry  (11-02-2016),Dougy  (11-02-2016),SJ565  (11-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A&S View Post
    Oh you're lucky. I hope it lasts for you. Have you got pretty much everything ready now or are you still picking up the final bits and pieces?

I sort of have a birth plan. I want to avoid an epidural and interventions if possible. I'm planning on making hot water my best friend but we will see. I'm well aware that things don't always go to plan so I'm trying not to get too hung up on the idea of a med free birth. Oh and delayed cord clamping. That's a big must!

Have you made a plan or given much thought into how you want to deliver? I forgot... Do you know if you're having a boy or girl or is it a surprise?
    Birth plan would be similar to yours to be honest... Med free and little to no intervention but definitely delayed cord clamping also. Initially I was looking into cord blood storage, but figured the chance of ever needing it is so small, so I'd much prefer bub get all the benefits there and then.

We've still got a few bits & pieces to pick up. The big things like car seat, cot and pram are taken car of... We just need little things like creams/lotions, nappies, baby medicines/thermometers etc.

Yet to set up everything though!

I think our car seat is rear facing up to 12 months or longer. I'll have to check!

And no parenting books on my end. I'm a nanny by day and I'll have people I can call on for advice if necessary. I just know my personality is that I'll most likely get too fixated on a book and get upset if it's not going like the book said ie sleep guides. I want to try and go with the flow, just to make things a tiny bit less stressful for myself. But I can totally see how others swear by books and it gives them the guidance/confidence they need as parents.

Oh, we are also expecting a daughter

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TandR View Post
    Birth plan would be similar to yours to be honest... Med free and little to no intervention but definitely delayed cord clamping also. Initially I was looking into cord blood storage, but figured the chance of ever needing it is so small, so I'd much prefer bub get all the benefits there and then.

We've still got a few bits & pieces to pick up. The big things like car seat, cot and pram are taken car of... We just need little things like creams/lotions, nappies, baby medicines/thermometers etc.

Yet to set up everything though!

I think our car seat is rear facing up to 12 months or longer. I'll have to check!

And no parenting books on my end. I'm a nanny by day and I'll have people I can call on for advice if necessary. I just know my personality is that I'll most likely get too fixated on a book and get upset if it's not going like the book said ie sleep guides. I want to try and go with the flow, just to make things a tiny bit less stressful for myself. But I can totally see how others swear by books and it gives them the guidance/confidence they need as parents.

Oh, we are also expecting a daughter
    Yeh I thought about cord blood banking but it's super expensive and I would rather her have it all at birth. I think if I had the opportunity to donate it I would have considered that but I'm going to a small regional hospital so that service isn't available.

Are you going disposable or cloth? We've decided on cloth which unfortunately has already become a bit of a scary addiction. There are so many cute little nappies out there, I love them!

Yeh winging it is a good plan. Chances are we will probably all do it 'wrong' anyway so there isn't any point in getting hung up on the tiny details. I'm a paediatric nurse, although haven't worked with Babies for a few years now so I feel like I've got enough knowledge to keep her alive. That's the most important part right?

Is your DP taking any/ much time off when bub is born? We are planning for DP to take maybe a week, then she will have two weeks off later in the month when we go up to Perth to visit family. I'll probably go back to work when Bub is about 4 months and we are going to both work part time around each other so one of us is home.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to A&S For This Useful Post:

almai  (11-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im having a caesar so no delayed cord clamping, will probably look into banking it instead.
    I would like to have some idea about settling techniques, at least so DP and I are on the same page. I think we are, just when it comes down to it I think we will find it hard. We have had several people recommended Save our Sleep, with the suggestion of take from it what you need and don't get too militant about the exact timings, so think we will do that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why won't they let you have delayed cord clamping with a c section? I can't think of any reason why it should be any different except if it was an emergency. I could be wrong but I would definitely be asking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're thinking the same, minimal intervention, delayed cord clamping. I'm kind of keeping it open as I just don't know I what I'll be like in the moment.

We've got all the major stuff we wanted and figured we'll just grab whatever as we needed. DW's planning on taking 1 month off from birth.

The middle of the night toilet breaks have just started here as well as a little insomnia.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Same sex parents or parents to be chat!

Quote Originally Posted by Chekry View Post
    We're thinking the same, minimal intervention, delayed cord clamping. I'm kind of keeping it open as I just don't know I what I'll be like in the moment.

We've got all the major stuff we wanted and figured we'll just grab whatever as we needed. DW's planning on taking 1 month off from birth.

The middle of the night toilet breaks have just started here as well as a little insomnia.
    Oh a month off together will be lovely. We're going to grab things along the way too. I would rather spend the money on something I actually need than something someone has told me I might want on that note haha I did get suckered into buying a breast feeding pillow. It's called 'my Brest friend' and it actually looks like it's going to be extremely helpful. It straps around your back so it supports your lower back and then you adjust it so babe is boob height. If you've ever cradled a baby for hours on end you'll know your arms end up dead so I'm pretty excited with my incredibly expensive boob pillow ☺️

Thanks
    Reviews
    DP will hopefully have a month off around the birth, if we're lucky, even longer.

I admire you @A&S for going down the cloth nappy path! We're going with disposables. I actually don't know if we'd save money if we went to cloth, as to wash on warm water in our machine, it's pretty expensive. We received a huge gas bill a few quarters ago and realised that our hot water usage is the biggest factor. We've worked hard to reduce it by washing most of our things on cold, and saved $100 last quarter. You're doing your part for the environment so good on you girls!

How long are all you ladies taking off work?

I'm taking the 18 weeks paid parental leave and then will go back to work (with bub) after that finishes. Well that's the plan for now anyway!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A&S View Post
    Why won't they let you have delayed cord clamping with a c section? I can't think of any reason why it should be any different except if it was an emergency. I could be wrong but I would definitely be asking.
    I asked the ob about it last week, she said that the focus is to stop me bleeding and start stitching up as soon as possible. She also said that the research suggests that for the delayed cord clamping to be really effective the baby must be held lower than the placenta for 2-3 minutes to allow gravity to drain the blood into bubs.
    I wasn't even sure if it was something I wanted to look into, now it's off the table it's just one less thing to worry about

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ565 For This Useful Post:

A&S  (11-02-2016)