+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 65 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Speaking of pets - those with dogs, have you found their quality of life changed much once baby arrives?

I know it's easy to say nothing will change etc but is that reality?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have 2 dogs @Boxergirl, and DD is 5 months old.
    I think the dogs QoL has declined a bit since DD came along. They had a pretty high standard before that!
    On the plus side, I'm home with them a heap more than before, and they get away with a lot more because your attention is elsewhere.
    On the down side, I think they get less walks (or less of the kind they want- they get more street/footpath walks, when they would prefer off-lead rabbit chases that go for 2+ hrs). Also their bad habits will annoy you even more, and your patience will be pretty thin.
    There's certainly been times when I've thought the QoL for everyone (me, DP, DD and the dogs) would be better if we only had one dog.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ565 For This Useful Post:

Boxergirl  (02-09-2016)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxergirl View Post
    Speaking of pets - those with dogs, have you found their quality of life changed much once baby arrives?

We don't have a dog, but we have a rabbit who lives like a dog (free range house bunny). Yeah her quality of life is probably not what it used to be (but better than most rabbits I would guess!).

I've had to move her to our insulated shed instead of keeping her inside because she's always eating DSs books or peeing on his kid couch and I just can't deal with it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Boxergirl  (02-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxergirl View Post

We actually had to rehome one of our dogs which was heartbreaking. Both dogs went through a rough patch when our DD arrived and they seemed to struggle with the "pack leader" hierarchy. Consequently one had to go which we really still struggle with as our dogs were our world for years and life clearly changes once bubs arrives. It's very hard to find the balance there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Welcome Teepot! DP and I have a 4 month old daughter.
    @Boxergirl - We have a furbaby (a Chihuahua X Pug) who was the centre of our worlds before Bub came along. DP has done a great job of keeping up the attention for the dog... but the dog definitely gets less attention from me now that DD is here. She was a bit confused in the first weeks when people would coo over the baby and she'd think 'hang on, that use to be me'. But now she's fine and despite things being different, she has adjusted. She values when DD gets put to bed at night and almost immediately gets out her favourite toys to play with us once DD is down.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TandR For This Useful Post:

almai  (01-09-2016),Boxergirl  (02-09-2016),Teepot1579  (01-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all for the perspectives. I'm hoping the dogs don't ending up lacking too much

The aim is to try and maintain what they have now, but doesn't stop me from telling them I'll boot them outside to live lol (we have just moved into our brand new home with mud and no fencing )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Teepot1579 View Post
    We actually had to rehome one of our dogs which was heartbreaking. Both dogs went through a rough patch when our DD arrived and they seemed to struggle with the "pack leader" hierarchy. Consequently one had to go which we really still struggle with as our dogs were our world for years and life clearly changes once bubs arrives. It's very hard to find the balance there
    Sorry that you had to do that

Thanks
    Reviews
    We started the transition when I was about 4-5 months pregnant so the dogs wouldn't associate bubs arrival with their downgrading of status. I kind of needed the space towards the end of pregnancy anyway. Dogs out of the bed, off the couch, locked outside when we were home etc etc.
    Last edited by SJ565; 02-09-2016 at 11:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ565 View Post
    We started the transition when I was about 4-5 months pregnant so the dogs wouldn't associate bubs arrival with their downgrading of status. I kind of needed the space towards the end of pregnancy anyway. Dogs out of the bed, off the couch, locked outside when we were home etc etc.
    We also started the transition in my first trimester but for us it didn't work. We even brought our DD hospital blanket and clothes home for the dogs to smell but until DD and I came from from the hospital, that's when it all got confusing for the dogs. It's a big shift and sadly you can't explain it fully to them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Teepot1579 View Post
    We also started the transition in my first trimester but for us it didn't work. We even brought our DD hospital blanket and clothes home for the dogs to smell but until DD and I came from from the hospital, that's when it all got confusing for the dogs. It's a big shift and sadly you can't explain it fully to them
    I'm sorry to hear it didn't go well for you guys. Ours have largely ignored bub since her arrival. Our success was pretty much due to the dogs personalities rather than anything specific we did.
    It's awful having to part ways with a much loved pet, sometimes I wonder whether our whippet would be happier in a house without a child in it. Something we might have to revisit in the future