+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 65 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    @A&S I would start taking information from this article. Leaving aside human rights issues (which are relevant to so much more beyond this census) I would reflect on how it does not result in an accurate reflection of same sex couples in Australia, and that by demanding information be provided on the father who cannot be known in circumstances where it was a donor this negates and diminishes the role of the non-birth parent. The data is not necessary and serves no real purpose. It is outdated and breaches the rights of the child to have both same sex parents recognised as his or her parents.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

A&S  (06-08-2016),TortoiseNotTheHare  (07-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @A&S thank you! I'd have done it but I'm no where near eloquent enough to be able to write this up with the clear and concise wording it would need! -k

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    @A&S I would start taking information from this article. Leaving aside human rights issues (which are relevant to so much more beyond this census) I would reflect on how it does not result in an accurate reflection of same sex couples in Australia, and that by demanding information be provided on the father who cannot be known in circumstances where it was a donor this negates and diminishes the role of the non-birth parent. The data is not necessary and serves no real purpose. It is outdated and breaches the rights of the child to have both same sex parents recognised as his or her parents.
    Thank you @Sonja. I have no idea if I can do this. I'll do some reading tonight and tomorrow and see what I can come up with. I wish I had known about this before.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My only suggestion is to keep it short and to the point. Otherwise you risk losing your audience. You don't need to write a book. Just the high notes but also make it a bit personal.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

A&S  (07-08-2016),TortoiseNotTheHare  (07-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so glad I passed this on to you all. Thank you @A&S for attempting to tackle this. And of course @Sonja for your very helpful input (and support). X

And we will request a paper form because that is going to be how we will be acknowledged and recognised as a same sex family.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Same sex parents or parents to be chat!

Okay I've had a really good look at the census. Here are some important points that I've found. Please feel free to add anymore. I'll be calling on Monday to ask about them.

The main thing confusing me is whether we are talking genetics of culture. Is the data being collected used for genetic or social profiling?

1. It is assumed that child has a mother and father in the ancestry question. If we leave it blank is it assumed that a) child has a father but we don't know the ancestry b) child has no father

2. It then asks if DD is a child of DP and myself. Will that information be converted and used to convey that we are a same sex family?

3. DP is asked how many children she has given birth to? The answer is none. It is then assumed according to the information that she has no children by choice or because of fertility issues.

4. What about egg sharing same sex couples? How are they represented? Is bio mum represented or is it just the birth mum?

I also hate that I have to write 'never married.' What a stab! Maybe I would be a**hole if I was allowed!
    Last edited by A&S; 07-08-2016 at 00:25.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to A&S For This Useful Post:

almai  (07-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just ordered a paper form- it won't arrive in time, but we can fill it out after the 9th.
    The paper form request line is open 24/7

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Have just ordered mine too.

Thanks for the info A&S. I guess I will be crossing stuff out on the paper form to ensure our family is accurately represented.

You would hope they would be able to figure out the family type from the questions but I can't help but wonder why they are so convoluted, it seems as though it will skew the data whether intended or not.

As far as I'm aware it's a matter of social profiling, not genetic, although if they asked about the biological father as opposed to just father I would be less bothered by it.

Having said that, I don't actually know the background of our donor, I assume American since we got the sperm from a US cryo bank. Either way, it doesn't entitle DS to US citizenship or anything so it's a totally irrelevant question - whereas DP is Swedish and that does entitle our kids to Swedish citizenship which seems like it would be more relevant!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @rainbow road I know right. This is why I'm confused, if its social profiling why not ask about other parent? Why does it specifically say father? We know where our donor was born but I'm definitely not filing that out under father. DD doesn't have a father.

The form has been constructed poorly, without consideration for the diversity of families in Australia. I also agree that it's highly unlikely the ABS is going to sift through the data to find same sex families.

All I can hope is that enough of us call up, complain and fill out the paper form. Hopefully next time we will be represented.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @rainbow road I know right. This is why I'm confused, if its social profiling why not ask about other parent? Why does it specifically say father? We know where our donor was born but I'm definitely not filing that out under father. DD doesn't have a father.

The form has been constructed poorly, without consideration for the diversity of families in Australia. I also agree that it's highly unlikely the ABS is going to sift through the data to find same sex families.

All I can hope is that enough of us call up, complain and fill out the paper form. Hopefully next time we will be represented.