+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We've had night screaming for the past two nights and I'm expecting tonight will be the same from my dd1. She does not handle long days at daycare well for more than 2 days. I find the screaming is linked to daycare days for me if she doesn't get her full 2-2.5hr nap. Today she slept only 1hr so cue tantrums and bad behaviour.

She is also desperately missing dh but as it's only 1mth into a 7mth deployment we are in for a long haul of night terrors. I find bed sharing calms her down and settles her overnight. About to try putting both my girls into the same bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdgirl View Post
    Oh yes been there too! í ½í¸± I did have to ignore it though and he eventually stopped.
    have you tried giving him something to settle him before bed like Bach remedies sleep tonic?
    No as he is totally relaxed and fine when we put him to bed at first, it's only after he's been asleep a few hours that this all starts up

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is also bad in daycare days, today was one of them but he flat out refuses to sleep there. I'm struggling to get him to sleep at home on days he is with me too.

He also has them when he is overtired but unfortunately I can't avoid it on days he is there

I can't even bed share, if I did, he would want that every night. I did it ONCE a couple weeks back as he woke round 4:30 crying and sounding like he was scared, so he went to bed with DH and didn't sleep at all. Then the next night we had HUGE tantrums as he refused to sleep in his bed it took me almost 2 hours of arguing and fighting to get him to settle

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    My DS is also bad in daycare days, today was one of them but he flat out refuses to sleep there. I'm struggling to get him to sleep at home on days he is with me too.

He also has them when he is overtired but unfortunately I can't avoid it on days he is there

I can't even bed share, if I did, he would want that every night. I did it ONCE a couple weeks back as he woke round 4:30 crying and sounding like he was scared, so he went to bed with DH and didn't sleep at all. Then the next night we had HUGE tantrums as he refused to sleep in his bed it took me almost 2 hours of arguing and fighting to get him to settle
    Try putting a spare mattress on the floor in his room. That way you can sleep near him and still keep him in his room. His behaviour sounds identical to my eldest. He needs you to reassure him that it's all ok. This is a phase and will pass.

Btw I'm currently using a sticker reward chart for bedtimes. 1 sticker if she goes to bed quietly, 2 for not crying when waking and 5 for sleeping in her bed the whole night. 20 stickers gets her a peppa pig book! It is working albeit slowly.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (25-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks I have thought about the bed in his room too, problem is that I have a 4.5 month old baby as well so getting up multiple times a night to feed him too. And I have gone down that road before when he was younger and it caused huge dramas, we ended up at tresillian because he wouldn't fall asleep without me sitting in his room for hours on end, and then when he woke in the middle of the night, I would have to stay there until he fell asleep again. It was a nightmare

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

I hope the sleep expert can help you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks I have thought about the bed in his room too, problem is that I have a 4.5 month old baby as well so getting up multiple times a night to feed him too. And I have gone down that road before when he was younger and it caused huge dramas, we ended up at tresillian because he wouldn't fall asleep without me sitting in his room for hours on end, and then when he woke in the middle of the night, I would have to stay there until he fell asleep again. It was a nightmare
    Every parent deals with issues differently. For me I want the most sleep NOW. And if that means I've got both girls in my bed every night for a few weeks or months then I'm fine with that. I have both girls in the same room and a mattress on the floor between them. If needed I'm there or in dd1s single with her. I still put both my girls to sleep by holding their hands so that's not an issue here.

I hope you find a solution that works for you. For my two bed sharing fixes ALL issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just wanted to post to send some hugs.
    DS1 also had night terrors from about 8months to 4yrs.

It sounds like a good conversation happening here already-
    Perhaps the only thing I can suggest is, if you think it's an attention/habit thing, maybe go in at a time before he usually wakes, wake him up and take him to the toilet or even just go in and sit on his bed and give his hair a stroke. Perhaps rouse him out of the cycle/habit?

Good luck- I can imagine it would be tough with bubby #2 and DH getting cranky.
    Good luck x

DH (34) Me (30)
    DS1 (8) * DS2 (4)
    ❤️ My Family ❤️

Egg donor 2012

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 3.5 yr old had been doing a very similar thing lately too! Glad I'm not the only one. It's not every night. He has good and bad nights. But my DH gets very angry with him too so I've had to go and sort it out a number of times and give loads of cuddles.
    Sometimes he seems asleep, others he seems wide awake and upset because of a dream or something. He'll make demands too, or shout things that make no sense in the situation, very upset. We're also trying not to bring him into bed as he'll expect it everytime. So DH will lay in his bed with him until he's asleep then leave.
    No advice really, as I don't know what to do either! I'm just thinking it's a phase that will end soon and try to do one to one time with him each day during baby's morning nap in case something is bothering him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No as he is totally relaxed and fine when we put him to bed at first, it's only after he's been asleep a few hours that this all starts up
    Ah ok sounds like my daughter was. She would go to bed no problems. She even day napped.
    My son though gets wound up before bed and doesn't take naps. But his terrors are random.
    Last edited by Bluebirdgirl; 25-06-2014 at 20:07. Reason: Typo