+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son has done this as well and he is 4. I think it's a case (for my son) that he is annoyed from waking himself and he is tired. My son has even done this in the bathroom when he says he needs to use the toilet, and when I tell him to, he sits on the floor and carries on, yelling, screaming, kicking. Once he goes back to bed, he falls asleep, wakes up as if nothing had happened. I can't rationalise with him during these "outbursts". I found it was worse at about 2.5 - 3.5 years, but has slowed right down.

⭐️DS #1 born 15.03.2010⭐️
    ⭐️DS #2 born 16.02.2014⭐️
    ⭐️Me=29 💗 DP=34⭐️

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Luminary For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (25-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not all night terrors are like that. Some kids remember. At this age kids start to dream and they don't know how to deal with it. We are just coming out of 6-7mths of night waking and screaming for my almost 4yo.

But first rule out sinus and ear infection.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (25-06-2014),Sonja  (25-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Luminary View Post
    My son has done this as well and he is 4. I think it's a case (for my son) that he is annoyed from waking himself and he is tired. My son has even done this in the bathroom when he says he needs to use the toilet, and when I tell him to, he sits on the floor and carries on, yelling, screaming, kicking. Once he goes back to bed, he falls asleep, wakes up as if nothing had happened. I can't rationalise with him during these "outbursts". I found it was worse at about 2.5 - 3.5 years, but has slowed right down.

⭐️DS #1 born 15.03.2010⭐️
    ⭐️DS #2 born 16.02.2014⭐️
    ⭐️Me=29 💗 DP=34⭐️
    This! Our dd1 did this 3-4yo.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    DS didn't have sore ears at all. But they were blocked.

DD2 had night terrors for about a year. All we could do was try and comfort her. She also slept walked.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (25-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's nice in a way to hear I am not alone. I've rung a sleep paediatrician based in SA and going to have a phone appointment with them later today.

This is making me extremely depressed as I have 4.5 month DS waking multiple times a night too. I can't cope with extra wake ups

I really think what he is doing now is pure attention seeking tantrums

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have two kids that have done/still do this.
    My now 7 yr old daughter was terrible. She grew out of it about 4/5 yrs old.
    now my 2.5 yr old son has been having the night terrors since he was 18 months or so.
    Sometimes he recalls waking in the night. Sounds a lot like what we deal with and I think we just have to ride it out. I generally ignore it til he goes back into sleep, once I know he's ok that is. All that I've read about it says to just let them settle themselves because talking to them only upsets them more and this is definitely the case for my son. I know he's not sick or anything and his are completely random too. He no longer day naps and can be a restless sleeper but I figure he will grow out of it like his sister did. She has no sleeping issues now.
    It sucks, I feel your pain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    It's nice in a way to hear I am not alone. I've rung a sleep paediatrician based in SA and going to have a phone appointment with them later today.

This is making me extremely depressed as I have 4.5 month DS waking multiple times a night too. I can't cope with extra wake ups

I really think what he is doing now is pure attention seeking tantrums
    my daughter was a massive attention seeker, oops she still is, but I didn't think at night she did it on purpose. I would agree that her frustrations from the days events would manifest in her sleep though.
    Both her and my son are highly strung kids. She has diagnosed anxiety, I'm hoping my son won't be as well :/
    they seem to be so hyped when they fall asleep that they just half wake confused. I doubt he's planning to upset you while he's been asleep. But I definitely understand your frustration as I've been there with me pregnant, me with a baby and now me pregnant again dealing with this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If I ignore it, it escalates and he cries and calls me. Then if I go in, he starts demanding things, unrealistic things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    If I ignore it, it escalates and he cries and calls me. Then if I go in, he starts demanding things, unrealistic things.
    I can really sympathise with you My DD did this from the time I was 8months pregnant til about 3months after my DS was born. I think it was the big change of having a new baby and I read lots of other stories of other young kids doing the same when a new baby arrives. The only thing that helped was time (sorry) and lots of one-on-one attention during the day. Even if they don't seem to need it during the day, fill up his "love tank" whenever you can. Put non-essential chores aside for a while and spend time re-connecting with him. Talk to him about how much you love him (which I'm sure you do anyway) and tell him what is special about him. Play some games that only the 2 of you do together. Hope this helps...hang in there xo

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redcorset For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (25-06-2014),SAgirl  (25-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yes been there too! I did have to ignore it though and he eventually stopped.
    have you tried giving him something to settle him before bed like Bach remedies sleep tonic?