+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Toddler night tantrum

DS has been waking up screaming and crying a lot during the night lately

At first I thought it was night terrors and we have tried all the usual methods of stopping them which haven't worked

But lately he is awake I'm sure of it. He acts the exact same when throwing a tantrum when he's awake during the day.

I just don't know what to do. It's upsetting me and him and to be honest it's making DH furious!

Basically DS goes down at 7 every night, goes down fine, then eakes any time from 10pm onwards. It starts with a whinge like 'uhh uhh uhh' and then starts to fake cry. if I ignore it it escalates, if I go in straight away, it escalates.

Nothing I do or say is right. He will ask for a drink so I'll pass it to him (it's easily within his reach but he refuses to get it himself) and he will have some and usually start crying and asking for something else, I can see when it's going to turn into a tantrum. He then usually says 'I'm stuck I'm stuck' and I say you're not stuck, and the. He screams 'I'm stuck' and thrashes around and cries and screams. By this stage I'm annoyed as he's going to wake DS 2. I've tried to pretend to help him but he screams at me to leave him alone or keeps saying he's stuck. If I am firm with him and say 'ok I'm going to bed if you're going to be silly' he gets worse again and cries and screams.

Basically NOTHING helps or stops it. I'm really at my wits end.

No one else seems to have this problem and if they have then it hasn't lasted this long for them. I just don't know what to do.

He's 3 but he's had night terrors since a very young age, but like I said, this seems to be attention seeking or something entirely different

Should I see a paediatrician or doctor or what?

Pls someone give me some advice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have no proper advice, but my DS has night terrors on occasion and he can answer my questions and seems 'awake' but the next day he doesn't remember, so I wouldn't be so sure that your DS is properly awake/aware. My DS also gets growing pains/leg cramps which took us a few times to actually work out what was wrong and what was hurting him, it was scary! Are you positive your DS is not in any pain?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really have no idea. If I ask 'is something hurting' he will say yes regardless.

Problem with DS is sometimes when you ask a question, he doesn't answer it, he will just repeat it and I wonder sometimes if he can actually comprehend what I'm asking...

His speech is great but he looks at me blankly when I talk to him sometimes (day or night)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Check his ears - literally last week my 3 year old perfect sleeper went through 2 nights of what I thought were night terrors and in the morning he mentioned noises in his ear ( no fever, no tugging at ear ) - I took him to the Dr and he said he had a perforated ear drum! So just in case it's an ear infection maybe take him to the Dr , DS is now back to being perfect!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Check his ears - literally last week my 3 year old perfect sleeper went through 2 nights of what I thought were night terrors and in the morning he mentioned noises in his ear ( no fever, no tugging at ear ) - I took him to the Dr and he said he had a perforated ear drum! So just in case it's an ear infection maybe take him to the Dr , DS is now back to being perfect!
    I second this. DS went through weeks of screaming at night. Finally found out he had a severe ear infection. If you take him to the GP make sure they test his ears properly and don't just look in them. DS showed no sign of ear problems but the child health nurse kept pressing it so the GP finally used a special piece of equipment on his ears (sorry no idea what it was called) and it showed severe glue in his ears. Poor kid was in absolute agony when he was lying down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That sounds exactly like a night terror to me. They seem awake but you cannot rationalise with them, they're in another world.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (25-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Take your DS to the doctor just to double check things.

How are your DS's day sleeps? What is his routine at night? 20 minutes active play before bed is recommended. Also no dummy/pat to sleep etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had another awful night last night with both boys.

As for ear infection, he hasn't complained of pain in them at all but he has had a cold since last Thursday and he's still a little bunged up, but he's quite happy during the day.

But this doesn't explain the other wakings... He does it every other week!!! Surely his ears couldn't big him every other week? This is not something new.

We also though initially it was night terrors but the last few episodes he seems more alert than other times. Plus why would he be doing the exact same things during the day time? He does exactly the same stuff I guess wanting attention?

I'm so confused and I just don't know what is going on.

He generally has night terrors when he hasn't had a day sleep or if he's been sick, now uesterday he didn't sleep at daycare, he never does anymore. I have to really run him ragged on the days he is home to try and get him to sleep at home! He's refusing a lot.

But he also does have these episodes (tantrums or night terrors) even on days when he's had a day sleep.

There is no real 'pattern'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok I'm pretty sure he's not having night terrors... I just asked him what happened last night and he said 'wake up' and I said 'why did you wake up' and he said 'mummy don't need help' or something like that. Meaning he didn't need my help which is what he was asking for last night.

He remember waking and remembers what happened. Apparently you have no recollection of night terrors, so that crosses that one off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our DD does this sometimes too, and no matter what you say, how you say it, what do or how you do it, nothing appeases! Daytime tantrums I tend to ignore where possible, but night time ones are much more difficult when you don't even know what started them!! Where we can't calm her down in bed (and we have even tried using the dog as a calming tool - which has worked but not every time) But we basically wake her properly and go and sit in the lounge room for 10 min where we sit quietly on the couch and watch some tv. We have found that getting her up and out of her bedroom and into a proper distraction has had the best results and then after 5 or 10 min she has calmed down and is ready to go back to bed.