+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How to cope with massive stress from work while pregnant/looking after a newborn

What are my options if I'm not coping with an ongoing situation at work due to my anxiety disorder (which my employer is not aware of)?

I am currently on maternity leave but it still affects me as we all have to reapply for our jobs at some stage.

HR is being less than helpful & won't provide any information & I do not feel as though I have been kept up to date since going on leave (which I was told I would be) other than information I have sought myself from colleagues.

It is causing me a huge amount of stress & anxiety because everything is so uncertain and they won't give us any information. This has been the case since at least April & it has exacerbated my anxiety disorder sky-high. I am extremely concerned about the effect that this stress & anxiety might have had upon the baby as it has been constant (almost daily sometimes) & high levels. I am extremely angry that I have been put in this situation as I have barely enjoyed any of my pregnancy due to my heightened anxiety & this situation has not helped at all.

I've looked at the Fair Work Australia & Anti-Discrimination sites but don't believe I would have a case unless I actually lost my job. Also I really don't want to take a case to a tribunal or deal with making a complaint when my baby is due in just over a week.

I see a psych for my anxiety but CBT is not helping & I haven't yet got a referral to see a psychiatrist for medication (can't get to the gp at this point).

I'd rather not resign as I have little hope of getting another job. My degree is now worthless & other than that I only have a Cert 3 & most jobs in my industry require a Cert 4 or Diploma (and no I can't afford to do more study).

I just can't cope with these issues at work anymore, I feel like they are pushing me so far that I don't even know if I can control my anxiety enough anymore to be able to look after my child. What can I do??
    Last edited by heartstringz; 24-06-2014 at 17:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No advice, just massive hugs x

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CakeyMumma For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (24-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Feel free to disregard previous, ive made a decision that im just going to not go through the process of reapplying for my job & that way I dont have to worry about it anymore.

Hopefully I can find something else down the track when im better, but im not liking my chances of anything other than retail

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by heartstringz; 24-06-2014 at 19:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Feel free to disregard previous, ive made a decision that im just going to not go through the process of reapplying for my job & that way I dont have to worry about it anymore.

Hopefully I can find something else down the track when im better, but im not liking my chances of anything other than retail

Probably a good idea honey. You really don't need that stress. There are always more jobs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Your employer legally has to consult with you regarding any workplace changes and they don't seem to be consulting if the only way you can get information is via colleagues. If HR won't help, maybe remind them of their duty to consult. I've provided a link below which might help.

http://www.fairwork.gov.au/ArticleDo...guide.pdf.aspx

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (24-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH doesnt want me to opt out.

I finally got some info from work though, about time!!

Found out that part of my application will be a timed abstract reasoning test. I never understand those things, my brain just doesnt think that way. They showed us a sample question & I just looked at it for 10 minutes & went 'huh??' Made no sense to me - & im not tired & I dont have a newborn baby.

My baby will be here by the time I have to do the test so obviously im going to fail that!
    Last edited by heartstringz; 02-07-2014 at 18:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Those psychometric tests can do your head in!! Essentially they are puzzles.... If you don't do a lot of puzzles or have never been exposed to abstract reasoning tests or have been out of uni for a while - they can look like Egyptian hieroglyphics. This page might be of help if you are feeling undecided http://www.psychometricinstitute.com...ric_tests.html

On another note, when one door closes another one opens..... Either way, I hope you find something that you enjoy.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Que Sera For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (02-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep its been years since I was at uni but I dont even think I did any then. Im pretty sure last time I did one was about 10 years ago.

And now I get to do one severely sleep deprived with a new baby.

Thanks for the link!!

Last edited by heartstringz; 02-07-2014 at 18:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My tip is to not overthink them.... If its the numeric order ones look for a pattern. Think of the rest like 'trick' questions that you would probably see in a quiz show or magazine. Usually the question is structured so that it can either distract you and seem really complicated or just be left of field answer. Seriously, if you expose yourself to these type of practice tests it will help you. You will be ahead of a candidate that has never seen this type of testing!!

When you do the practice ones, when you get one wrong - try and work out how the correct answer was found rather than just crossing it off and moving on. Google it if you need to. You may be able to google common test examples used for your industry... There is a definite theme that happens with these questions and once you have conquered a handful you will see the answer quicker in others.

If this job doesn't work out, then your test practice and exposure will still be an asset to you as you will have a better idea of what is in these types of tests and how to tackle them when/if you apply for something new. Don't let it stress you out though. You and bubs come first.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Que Sera For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (02-07-2014)