+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Phuket with a 1yr old

We are travelling to phuket next month with ds who is 1yr old. We are staying at a excellent private beach resort but will still probably take some packaged baby food and toddler formula from home but he will also be eating food from the resort. If you have travelled to phuket with a toddler what do u recommend i take or shouldnt take. Is there anything i should do or not do? All help would be greatly appreciated. Im a little nervous as this is our first time overseas with a toddler.
    TIA

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We got married in Phuket and my brother had his nearly 2 year old with them. Formula he brought over but I think that was it

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lilyloubelle For This Useful Post:

Sethysmum  (24-06-2014)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We took our 9 month old to Phuket. Be prepared for strangers to pick your LO up and walk off with them! In restaurants etc, the staff will come and grab them out of their high chair and give them a cuddle and pass them round. We thought it was fab as it meant we could eat in peace, but some people might find it confronting!
    I wouldn't bother taking a pram or stroller as there isn't many footpaths, or any that are easy to navigate. Take a baby carrier instead.
    If you haven't given your toddler nuts yet, I would try them out before you go, we weren't thinking and give DS loads of local food and then realized it all had nuts or nut oil and he'd never had nuts before, oops! A bit scary thinking we were a ferry/helicopter ride from a hospital!
    Take your own sun cream as it's not cheap there and hard to find waterproof sun cream.
    No cars have car seats, not sure if that's something the resort will be able to offer, but we stayed at a small family run resort and instead of taking taxis we got the owner's son to drive us around so at least we knew we had a careful driver.
    I'll come back if I think of anything else

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Sethysmum  (24-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't been to Phuket, but we took our 14mth old to Bali, so maybe a few things are similar? DD didn't eat a lot of their food, I took some food pouches & snacks, wish I had taken more as they were about $3 a pouch!

Also, make sure you take your own supply of panadol, nurofen, teething gel etc.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Smyles For This Useful Post:

Sethysmum  (24-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We took 12 month old to koh samui (via phuket)

Def what a pp said about local thais taking bub and wanting to play/cuddle with them a lot!!! They seem to just ADORE kids.

They have a supermarket type place there called "big c" and we found that good for buying food for bub like weetbix, crackers etc also nappies and wipes and they do stock formula if u need it (i didnt risk any cows milk over there except the mini long lifes we brought with us)

Please make sure u have travel insurance!! My LO fell sick not long into our trip and we ended up having to take her to the international hospital, she had croup quite badly. Not a fun experience in a foreign country and you have to pay up front for everything but we had insurance so were able to recoup the costs when we returned home.

We also ended up buying a pedestal fan from the big c to use in our hotel room instead of having the air con on 24/7as it was making us all really congested (especially bub) but ask your hotel first if they have one you could borrow.

Make sure you take infant sunscreen and a mozzie repellant suitable for littlies too. Mozzies EVERYWHERE.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following User Says Thank You to WhitePeach For This Useful Post:

Sethysmum  (24-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks heaps girls. Lots of great advise

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've been to Phuket a couple of times with the kids. We used our prams with no problem - just used lightweight strollers. Definately take your own mozzie stuff and regular medication - that being said - if you do get caught out the chemists are VERY good and offer an excellant range of products. I always kept a muslin baby sheet in the pram to cover from sun or insects. For you - if AF is due - take tampons - they are impossible to buy there at all. (Same in bali). Take your own nappies and enough formula. Places will be very accomodating with food for your baby. We always had people wanting to touch and say hello to the kids. Just make sure you keep your child in your line of sight. Have fun - beaches are beautiful and the shopping is fantastic!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Raising Leprechauns For This Useful Post:

Sethysmum  (25-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Make sure you dont let your little one drink the pool water, my DS1 was 15 months whem we went and he got so sick we almost flew home early. The only thing we could put it down to was he kept drinking the pool water on the first day.

I'd take nappies, the ones over there arent very good quality, we went through twice the amount we normally would.

Take stuff with you like panadol and nurofen etc.

Oh and a bottle cleaning brush! We forgot one and I couldnt find one anywhere!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

15. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Sethysmum  (25-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Actually i'd take sterilising tablets too. You cant wash bottles in tap water.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using The Bub Hub mobile app

17. The Following User Says Thank You to WhitePeach For This Useful Post:

Sethysmum  (25-06-2014)