+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Single mums!

I'm only 21 and just found out I'm pregnant, partner does not want to stay if I keep it. So I just wanted some feedback, if you are a single mum, how did you cope financially, emotionally, physically ect. I only have a casual job so I'm not financially stable. My family is supportive and will help any way they can but there's only so much they can do. Did you work and send your child to daycare? Did you stay at home and receive payments? I'd like to know it all
    Last edited by Hanbxx; 25-06-2014 at 11:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you post this in the single parents section you'll get some wonderful words of wisdom. Good luck and congrats on your pregnancy xx

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ourbradybunch View Post
    If you post this in the single parents section you'll get some wonderful words of wisdom. Good luck and congrats on your pregnancy xx

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app

Ah great! Im just not sure how to find it, still unsure how to navigate thought the forum

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    If you want your baby, it' definitely doable. If your partner is giving you that sort of ultimatum, he's definitely not partner material.
    You will receive benefits-PPS, FTB A and B, rent assistance if renting. If you want to continue to work casually, you are able to earn around $200/fn before your pension is cut back. You still end up better off by working. You will be entitled to concessions on things like public transport, rego, electricity, etc.

Personally, I've always worked even if it is just part time casually. If you have a supportive family this would be much easier to achieve if you don't want to use daycare and still want to work. I found in the early days, even just working one day each weekend helped to keep my sanity intact.

With a young baby, you really don't need a lot so financially you should be fine even if you choose to stay home.
    Will you be renting or living with your family?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    If you want your baby, it' definitely doable. If your partner is giving you that sort of ultimatum, he's definitely not partner material.
    You will receive benefits-PPS, FTB A and B, rent assistance if renting. If you want to continue to work casually, you are able to earn around $200/fn before your pension is cut back. You still end up better off by working. You will be entitled to concessions on things like public transport, rego, electricity, etc.

Personally, I've always worked even if it is just part time casually. If you have a supportive family this would be much easier to achieve if you don't want to use daycare and still want to work. I found in the early days, even just working one day each weekend helped to keep my sanity intact.

With a young baby, you really don't need a lot so financially you should be fine even if you choose to stay home.
    Will you be renting or living with your family?

I will be living at home with my family for the first 6mo to a year but I'd like to get my own place to rent but rent is so expensive around the area and I'd like to stay close to my friends and family, I haven't looked into rent assistance though.
    Also with daycare, it's so expensive nearly $100 a day, how do mums afford that? Cos I'd like to go to uni eventually and I'd like to work to be able to support the child on my own

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have a look at what you can get from Centerlink for childcare. Not sure how childcare rebate works but one of my friends uses it and it cuts her payment pretty much in half.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanbxx View Post
    I will be living at home with my family for the first 6mo to a year but I'd like to get my own place to rent but rent is so expensive around the area and I'd like to stay close to my friends and family, I haven't looked into rent assistance though.
    Also with daycare, it's so expensive nearly $100 a day, how do mums afford that? Cos I'd like to go to uni eventually and I'd like to work to be able to support the child on my own
    Yes, rent is insanely expensive! I pay about half of my income alone in rent, but at the end of the day it's still doable.
    Daycare will not cost you that much. You will get CCB(childcare benefit)/CCR(childcare rebate) which will reduce that fee considerably.
    Also if you are studying you can apply for JET. You pay $1 an hour, so $10-$12 a day depending on how long the centre opens for. Also because you would be studying you would get half of what you pay back (ccr). For studying there is the pensioner education supplement (PES) which is about $60/fn on top of what you would already receive.

You can definitely make it work. Those first 6 months at home, you can save as much money as possible which will really help when you go out on your own.

Good luck with it all.