+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    See I also went through every colour of the rainbow from teal to tangerine. I'd like my daughter to grow up without the self esteem issues that made me feel it necessary to have my hair (clothes etc) scream out to the outside world "I'm different, I'm 'creative', I'm unique". I'd like her to have the strength in herself to just be.
    I just dont see it that way. Sure I have self worth issues but for me they are not at all linked to my appearance. I actually love my hair. I love changing it and trying different things.

I guess if I felt it was linked to my childs self esteem in that way then I would endeavor to help them deal with why they feel that way. But I dont think it is linked for everyone.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No I wouldn't let them do it. I'd buy them a wig for dress ups instead. Some things are nice to wait out until you're a bit older before you get to do it, hair dye is one of those things for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    My oldest two are 6 and nearly 9 and the question has never come up, so I'm a bit meh whatever about it. I guess a crazy hair day at school or some spray for a disco has satisfied their hair modifying urges....for now ;-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Yeah I guess I don't see this as such a biggie, which surprises me as I definitely fall into the "no earrings on children" camp.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No.
    I'm a hairdresser and studying trichology.
    most salons I've worked at have a 14-16year rule when it comes to dyeing hair.
    I've seen adults have sever reactions from hair dye, chemical burns, even with semi's and some natural colors.
    I wouldn't risk my child or anyone else's with that possibility.
    I would also wonder about the permanent damage to hair follicles at such age.

Children's skin is also a lot thinner than adults, it will absorb more chemicals than what an adult will, and given that children’s systems are underdeveloped they may suffer greater adverse effects from such exposure.
    So whilst the average adult can handle the chemicals in hair dyes, for a child, they absorb a lot more and it's just plain dangerous .
    It's says "poison" on the bottle for a reason.

Edit to add:
    Just read through the product label on my color tubes, it states "this product is not intended for use in persons under the age of 16"
    I'll have to get out my old tafe books and look at the risks with color and children.
    If I can figure out how to post a picture of the warning I will
    Last edited by Liddybugs; 24-06-2014 at 19:33.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Liddybugs For This Useful Post:

Arlais  (25-06-2014),atomicmama  (24-06-2014),GlitterFarts  (24-06-2014),meredithgreyxxx  (24-06-2014),MissMuppet  (24-06-2014),ozeymumof5  (24-06-2014),smallpotatoes  (24-06-2014),snowqu33n  (24-06-2014),Stretched  (24-06-2014),thepouts  (24-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My girls have never brought the issue up either. I'm in disbelief at all the comments she gets in public, I don't think her hair looks nice at all, it just looks inappropriate.

Boundaries and limits need to be set somewhere and at an age appropriate level. There is no need for such a young child to be colouring their hair and there are plenty of other ways they can express themselves. My girls love to wear costumes and play dress ups. That's what a 4 year old should be doing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's inappropriate...too young for that ....just let them be kids while they still can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Liddybugs View Post
    No.
    I'm a hairdresser and studying trichology.
    most salons I've worked at have a 14-16year rule when it comes to dyeing hair.
    I've seen adults have sever reactions from hair dye, chemical burns, even with semi's and some natural colors.
    I wouldn't risk my child or anyone else's with that possibility.
    I would also wonder about the permanent damage to hair follicles at such age.

Children's skin is also a lot thinner than adults, it will absorb more chemicals than what an adult will, and given that children’s systems are underdeveloped they may suffer greater adverse effects from such exposure.
    So whilst the average adult can handle the chemicals in hair dyes, for a child, they absorb a lot more and it's just plain dangerous .
    It's says "poison" on the bottle for a reason.

Edit to add:
    Just read through the product label on my color tubes, it states "this product is not intended for use in persons under the age of 16"
    I'll have to get out my old tafe books and look at the risks with color and children.
    If I can figure out how to post a picture of the warning I will
    It's on the first line, this is for permanent professional hair dye.
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1403602111.944182.jpg

First line again, this is for semi-permanent professional hair dye.
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1403602279.830856.jpg

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Liddybugs For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (24-06-2014),ozeymumof5  (24-06-2014),snowqu33n  (24-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I just say that I havnt read every post so forgive me of someone has said this but the first thing that came to mind was ohh she wanted pink hair her mum gave her pink hair??
    So next time your 4 yr old asks for something... In this case anything just explain a few things to them about it then give it to them.. That's what she did

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 5yo DD wants to dye her hair... She's very "out there" and loves to be different. I understand wanting to change your hair, I change mine a lot. So I just bought her hair chalk and clip in coloured extensions and that's keeping her happy.

I'll be discouraging her from dying her hair when she gets older, until she can fully understand how hard to is to look after. Mainly because she has super dark hair and she'd need to bleach before doing anything crazy, and that's just too much stuffing around haha

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast