+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Stupidity.

All those chemicals on that lovely baby hair. What a shame.

Not to mention it's completely giving in to the Childs whim. So at 16 when she says 'I want a car, and it has to be a BMW/merc/Audi coz I like the finer things in life and I want to express that to others' the parents just give in???

Ridiculous

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post

Not to mention it's completely giving in to the Childs whim. So at 16 when she says 'I want a car, and it has to be a BMW/merc/Audi coz I like the finer things in life and I want to express that to others' the parents just give in???

Ridiculous
    Really? Bit of a long bow to draw don't you think? So because I let my oldest choose her own pencil case at smiggle this afternoon I'm setting her up for a lifetime of indulgence and dominance?

It's hair. If it's one off and safe I wouldn't care. DS painted himself blue from top to toe when he was 2 including his hair. We all survived.

But having said that I think it's good for kids to wait. Dd1 is 8 nearly 9 and we often talk about the things she'll be able to do when she's a teenager and she can't wait. It's nice it have something to look forward to.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (24-06-2014),Lillynix  (24-06-2014),mousky  (24-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Really? Bit of a long bow to draw don't you think? So because I let my oldest choose her own pencil case at smiggle this afternoon I'm setting her up for a lifetime of indulgence and dominance?

It's hair. If it's one off and safe I wouldn't care. DS painted himself blue from top to toe when he was 2 including his hair. We all survived.

But having said that I think it's good for kids to wait. Dd1 is 8 nearly 9 and we often talk about the things she'll be able to do when she's a teenager and she can't wait. It's nice it have something to look forward to.
    Nope. Not to me.

I'm so over hearing the excuse that we should allow our kids to do certain things as kids that we weren't allowed to do till we were 16+. There are some things that as parents we should say no to, for me colouring hair at 4 is one of them. They are kids! We have to say no sometimes!

Smiggle, no that's different because it's not, for example, a $100 pencil case. If you had said it was a mimco pencil case then I'd say it was silly.

Maybe to use a different comparison... The kiddy bras that were designed for 6yo's. People said 'it's a sexualisation of our young girls and kids should be kids'. I agree. And although pink hair on a child isn't being 's3xy', to me it's something that an adult does. Not a child. Just like a bra isn't for a pre-pubescent little girl, no matter how much the kid wants it.

'Scuse any typos I have a sick 4yo and a 4mo both trying to sit on my lap.

Eta.. I don't see an issue with coloured hairspray every so often, say for a party or school disco.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Did you choose to take her to smiggle to get a new pencil case or did she insist that she must have a smiggle pencil case? That would be the difference to me between letting your child have their own choice (within a set range) and a parent giving in to a child's every want.

The way the article was written she made it sound like her daughter just said she wanted it. The mother then applied her own reasons to rationalise the decision to do it. The child gave no other reasons than 'I want'.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (24-06-2014),VicPark  (24-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I haven't ever been asked by one of mine so I really can't say for sure. I don't think I would. No strong feelings just don't think I would go for it without a good reason.

Our school has no hair dyed out of the normal range policy so I would take that into my/their consideration.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have to agree with lillynix here.

Seriously, it's hair. Sure, some people have an issue with the chemicals. When I was a kid, I wasn't allowed a stamp or pen on my skin, while plenty of others were. It's not something that there's a clear and demonstrable risk with, so to each their own.

As for the argument that it's buying into valuing how a child looks etc... my daughter (21 months) is complimented all the FRIGGING TIME on any 'girly' clothes; on her blonde hair; on her purely-practical hair clip. I HATE when people comment on her looks, but if anything I think compliments about things she has chosen are better than those which she has no power over.

I must admit that I cringed when first reading it... but having thought it over, I'd definitely let my 4 year old have temporary hair dye. I don't think it'd be a regular thing since there's a cost, lots of effort, and it often comes off on clothing etc. I'd be happy for her/him to do it as a treat though.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (24-06-2014),HillDweller  (25-06-2014),Lillynix  (24-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As someone who has not hair their natural hair colour since they were 11, and all colours of the rainbow pink, blue, green, and every colour in between my kids have grown up seeing this as something normal. Nothing about their own hair not being good enough, nothing about needing to change themselves, its just something fun and normal. Ive had both of them at very young ages ask if they can have theirs done too. Ive decided no for dyes. that can be something we can enjoy together when they are teens. I use sprays for my son (6) as he likes to have bright blue/green/red hair often and my dd(9) isnt interested at all anymore. Though I did give ds a purple mohawk when he was 3 before he started school and he thought it was hilarious it was left over semi permanent from my own hair. that are probably no more dangerous chemical wise than JJ bath lotion or shampoo tbh

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    For the chemical aspect I probably wouldnt be too keen on doing it but I don't have an objection to the idea of it...

I dye my hair. Its never the same colour for too long. My natural hair colour is blonde but ive had purple red pink black, brown, blue, hell even multiple colours at once. I also very very rarely wear makeup or dress up im a very casual person. Dying my hair is about showing my creative side. Not trying to make myself beautiful. So if my kids (granted they're all boys) said they wantrd to do it I'd ask why and discuss it with them. It certainly wouldnt be a blanket no response.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    See I also went through every colour of the rainbow from teal to tangerine. I'd like my daughter to grow up without the self esteem issues that made me feel it necessary to have my hair (clothes etc) scream out to the outside world "I'm different, I'm 'creative', I'm unique". I'd like her to have the strength in herself to just be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm another who would prefer my daughter to wait until she's a teen to start colouring her hair. It's something for her to look forward to, and take responsibility for herself.

I'd be quite happy for her to wear some clip in coloured hair pieces, or hair chalk, etc. A 4 year old's attention span isn't brilliant, so I'd prefer her to have methods of expressing herself which can be taken out or washed off at the end of the day over harsh chemicals.

Sent from my HTC One X using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post

However, if your kid comes to you and is like "yo, I reckon it would be AWESOME if I had red hair. Can I have red hair? That would be AWESOME! Pleeease It would be sooooooo COOL!" then I'd be like, well, y'know kid, it doesn't wash out. You'll have to have red hair for weeks, maybe even months until it washes out or grows out or you put another dye on it. Dying your hair also could mean it's not as soft and lovely anymore because it's not good for you hair. If they continued to pester, then sure as heck I'd dye their hair if it made them happy because they thought it would be awesome
    Good in theory however I don't think a 4 year old is mature enough to fully appreciate the consequences ..so it's not a decision I would put in their hands.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast