+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    @Sharlie I hope everything will be ok. I have my fingers crossed for you.

Afm i I have to have another viability scan next week. After FS looked over last scan she said I'm measuring small, about 5 days behind. I'm trying not to freak out as we had a great hb. I guess time will tell.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to frogpossum For This Useful Post:

Sharlie  (27-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh no @Sharlie hope it works out for you!
    @frogpossom first trimester screening freaks me out, so much to be worried about and nothing you can do to influence the result.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SleepyDude For This Useful Post:

frogpossum  (27-06-2014),Sharlie  (27-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your concern. x

Rushed home from work in a mess. My poor boss must have been aghast at my sobby face. The clinic called me in for tests and a dr visit, they were so lovely.

Test results came back this afternoon - Hcg 24,300 which is a good sign. They've still stressed total bed rest for 48hrs and have prescribed an apparent miracle medicine which should stop the heavy bleeding.

HCGs
    17 June = 874
    24 June = 12,500
    *25 June = 12,100 [this was at another lab and there can be a difference between lab machines]
    27 June = 24,300

The hcg "doubling rate" seems to be slowing but the number is still increasing so that's a good sign.

Gonna have a snooze now. x
    Last edited by Sharlie; 27-06-2014 at 16:54.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sharlie For This Useful Post:

SleepyDude  (27-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Sharlie don't worry about your hcg numbers. After they go above 10000 the start to slow. So yours look really good. Take it very easy and I hope the bleeding has stopped. Have they booked in a scan for you? Did you have one or two transferred?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to frogpossum For This Useful Post:

Sharlie  (27-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @frogpossom thanks for the information, that puts my mind at ease a bit. Our scan is booked for July 10. We had 1 day-3 IVF/ICSI embryo transferred and I had had a endo biopsy just prior to help implantation.

The bright red blood has stopped, thank goodness, now its just dark blood which i understand is not as worrying. I really thought it was game over this morning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi everyone! Can I join?
    EDD is 16th Feb.
    Still waiting for first scan at FS clinic, another 14 weeks to go *huff*

It's a very anxious time.

No ms yet. I'm just extra tired, extra hungry, have sore boobs & suffering with constipation.

I hope all turns out ok Sharlie x

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Calstar For This Useful Post:

Sharlie  (28-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello everyone! I was on a 'due in jan forum' but didn't realise there was an IVF/ICSI specific one! So I'd love to join if I can!
    This was our first attempt at ICSI and we were unbelievably lucky enough for it to work (so far!) My due date is 22nd Jan and I'm 10 weeks so far. We had one scare at 7 weeks where I started bleeding bright red and went for an ultrasound at the hospital. Thought it was all over but there was still a heartbeat and a blob! I've had all day sickness from about 8 weeks, not vomiting but the thought of certain foods make me gag. Just stopped the Prednisalone so I'm off the steroids now! Woo! Anyway, hope everyone is tracking along ok

Thanks
    Reviews
    Welcome @Calstar and @kate124 and congrats to you both!!
    Yeah I was going to join a 'normal' date due thread but I feel more comfortable in the ivf ones!! You guys get the stress.
    Hopeyour doing ok this morning @Sharlie

14. The Following User Says Thank You to frogpossum For This Useful Post:

Sharlie  (28-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is definitely worth a read before you experience bleeding, so you don't panic... I found it very practical and reassuring.

Found this at: http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/fo...topic=266378.0

Spotting
    More than 50%, possibly as many as 75% of women having ivf have spotting at some point in the pregnancy – there are varying estimates relating to how many women experience spotting in different books, but chances are, you are not in a minority.

The spotting may be brownish in colour, or pinkish and watery – there may be a little red blood, but should not be too much. There may be a clot, followed by dark red stains. It is different for everyone, but always a shock to see because we associate blood with periods. What’s more, because the stretching of the uterus in pregnancy gives us pains and feelings which are just like period pains, the two things happening together make it is easy to expect the worst.

It might be helpful to see the blood as a symptom in the same way that a sneeze is a symptom. We all understand that a sneeze may indicate a cold or an allergy. We can all see that a cold and an allergy are not related to one another, and in the same way, spotting in early pregnancy is not related to a period or miscarriage. It has an entirely different cause.

The fact that you are spotting does not make you more likely to have a miscarriage, even though any appearance of blood might be called a ‘threatened miscarriage’ in books about pregnancy. It does not mean that there is anything wrong with your embryo(s) or that your baby will be weaker as a result of the bleeding. It does not mean that you have an unstable lining which wants to shed itself.

So what causes spotting?

Well what happens is that when the blastocyst is embedding itself, it does so by sprouting little things like roots – they are called the chorionic villi. These roots, (coming out like the roots on a potato tuber) dig their way through the endometrium (your lining) and into the wall of your uterus, where they locate the blood vessels and force their way into them, like when ivy roots push themselves into weak spots in a brick wall. Once they have done this, oxygen and nutrients from the mother’s blood are taken to the blastocyst to nourish it.

What can happen, is that some blood can leak out of your blood vessels and form a clot or blood blister type thing near where the blastocyst/embryo has implanted. The ‘blister’ can stay there for some time undisturbed, but with the embryo growing and embedding further, it may be 'burst' or part of it get dislodged, and the blood travels out of the uterus and down through the vagina.

Alternatively, sometimes the embryo just dislodges part of the endometrium itself, and that appears like a brownish clot. And another thing that can happen is that you may have a 'partially suppressed period' at 4/8/12 weeks, where the body is expecting to have a period and leaks a little blood. (Although the timings may be hard to work out if you have adapted your natural cycle to line yourself up with a donor.) These occur where progesterone levels might be a little lower than usual.

If you try to look on the positive side, you should consider that the fact that your embryo has tapped into a blood vessel causing a clot or kicked out a bit of endometrium shows that it is doing its job properly! And a partially suppressed period will not throw the baby out with the bath water.

What causes a miscarriage?

A miscarriage and a normal period are triggered in a similar way. They both happen because your body produces chemical substances called prostaglandins which cause the uterus to shed its lining (endometrium) through contractions. In pregnancy the game is to stop the production of these prostaglandins, and it is progesterone which does this. In a cycle where there is no pregnancy, progesterone is produced at the place on the ovary from which the egg was ovulated, for several days after ovulation, allowing time for potential fertilization and implantation to take place. But because there is no fertilized egg, progesterone production diminishes and prostaglandins are produced which set off the period.

However, if the egg has been fertilized and is implanting, the chemical hcg sends a message to the mother’s body to continue the production of progesterone for a longer time. The hcg will continue to be produced to stimulate the mother’s production of progesterone until the baby’s placenta takes over in the time between 10 and 14 weeks of pregnancy. The progesterone will hold off the period or miscarriage by stopping the production of prostaglandins.

The miscarriage of an implanted blastocyst or embryo almost always happens for one of two reasons. The most common reason is that there is a fault in the embryo which is genetic and therefore the embryo is not compatible with life. When this happens, the embryo dies, it stops producing hcg, which in turn causes the mother’s body to stop producing progesterone, and this results in the production of prostoglandins, which will trigger a miscarriage, in just the same way that a period happens. The lining will be shed, and it will come on relatively quickly.

The second reason is that the mother has immune issues, and her body ‘kills off’ the embryo, and once again, this means that the hcg stops being produced, and the same chain of events occurs.

In both cases, by the time the mother sees the blood, the chances are that the embryo is dead anyway. Some people advocate using progesterone pessaries or jabs to try and halt the prostaglandin production and therefore the shedding of the lining. However, there is little scientific evidence that this will work, and since the logic is that the embryo dies and stops producing hcg before any blood is shed, there seems little point hanging on to the lining when there is no live pregnancy. Nevertheless, it is possible that extra progesterone might help to prevent partially suppressed periods.

How can I tell the difference between spotting and a miscarriage?

Spotting is by its very nature slow, and in bits. The good news is that that longer you are spotting and it doesn't turn into a miscarriage, the more sure you can be that you are ONLY spotting and nothing else. When a miscarriage comes, it will come quickly like a period should, and it will be accompanied by pain, usually greater pain than a woman would expect on her period. There is often a serious pain in the back as well as cramping pains in the tummy. There will be a lot of fresh blood rather than brown or pink or darker red, although all types may be evident.

What can I do?

When they find blood, most women contact their doctors and are referred to the Early Pregnancy Unit. However, it must be emphasised that there is little that the EPU can do to stop a miscarriage. The exercise is mainly about reassurance. The EPU will be able to offer a scan, and in the majority of cases the embryo will be seen happily settled in, heart beating away, oblivious to the worry it has been causing. It may be possible on the screen to see the blood clot near the embryo, which is in the process of ‘passing out’. The mother can then return home in the knowledge that she has experienced spotting rather than the early stages of miscarriage.

If however no live embryo is discovered on the scan, the mother will be offered the choice of waiting for the miscarriage to progress naturally, or an appointment for dilation and curettage to remove the products of conception. This may depend on how far the pregnancy progressed and the danger of infection.

What should I do while the spotting is happening?

Your doctor or EPU staff will probably advise that you rest as far as you are able to. However, given the reasons for spotting and miscarriages, there is no real evidence that rest could prevent either from happening. The point is that whatever happens, it is probably best if you face it with a clear conscience, knowing that you did nothing to jeopardise your pregnancy. So a few days rest will do you no harm and certainly any reduction in stress has to be a good thing for you and your baby.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sharlie For This Useful Post:

ScubaGal  (29-07-2014),SleepyDude  (28-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello on this drizzly Sunday! Just wondering if anyone else who is roughly 10 weeks is having cramps? Quite painful ones. I had them all night, to the point where the cramps were part of my dreams! Growing pains? Can I take anything for them?