+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Resurfacing a bathroom

We've just bought a new house and we'll eventually replace the bathroom however in the meantime, we're thinking of getting it resurfaced. To those who have had it done, is the floor slippery? Does it wear well? I was reading that you can only clean it with hot water - does this get it clean enough? Any other feedback?
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Resurface with what? Paint?

It isn't a good idea to paint floor tiles or wet areas at all - you're better off living with the daggy tiles and saving your money and effort for a BIG reno down the track.

Painting some wall tiles that don't have much contact with water would be okay though.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

JR03  (24-06-2014)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    What's currently on the floor?

FITB and I are both experienced at rennos and might be able to give some advice so maybe post a pic and we can offer some suggestions on how to do an interim renno.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

JR03  (24-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe resurfaced wasn't the right word, I've seen on a lot of the Reno shows lately that they somehow cover the tiles, bath and vanity with a fresh coating of something. It seems to be a cheaper, interim way of freshening up a bathroom that replacing it.

Would love your thoughts so have attached a photo! Is regrouting easy, because I think getting rid of that dark floor grout would instantly brighten it up!

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1403575272.018257.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you go to bunnings I'm pretty sure they sell grout cleaner that should help. I agree tile paint on the floor isn't great. I used tile paint on my tiled bathroom walls and it was ok but it's hard to get it looking great unless you use a spray gun which costs extra to hire.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

JR03  (24-06-2014)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I'm not very good with the whole decorating thingo but here are my suggestions to consider for an interim renno:

- Don't re-grout, too much hard work. Just get some grout paint/cover from Bunnings. It's in a tube and very easy to apply.
    - I would shy away from painting tiles. I know they make it look really easy on renno shows but they make everything look really easy on renno shows. What they don't show you is the army of people behind the scenes doing the work or what it looks like after 12 months wear and tear. All you see is the pretty woman with the roller and without a drop of paint on her. I'll come back to that later.
    - You may want to consider painting the walls above the tiles in a neutral colour that will work with the tiles.
    - Change the blue blind into something more modern like wood venetian blinds.
    - Get some nice contrasting coloured towels and accessories and even a big bath mat for the floor to cover some of the tiles.

Now, back to renno shows. Stop watching them. They give people crazy expectations on what it takes to paint a room or do anything. They have 1 person with a roller looking oh so pretty and present as if that's what it takes to paint a room. Um, no. If your house is old you may also want to paint the ceilings and logic would have it that you should start painting a room from the top to the bottom. Everything should be washed with sugar soap. Inevitably you will find holes that need to be filled, set and sanded back. That will take at least a few hours to dry before you can sand. When it's sanded you need to wash again to remove all traces of dust. Spend time doing this because you'll regret it later if you don't and you're lying in bed every night starring at the bump in the wall that you didn't quite finish properly. Then you will need to mask up and put drop sheets down. Don't spare the drop sheets because the paint will find the 2cm square on the floor that isn't covered. Can I just say I HATE masking up. Use quality tape too as well as quality brushes. You may need to put an undercoat on first. The colour of the walls of our bedrooms when we first moved in took 3 coats of top quality undercoat to mostly cover the hideous sky blue that was there. You will also most likely want to paint skirtings and all the other trims around the house - I repeat, I HATE masking up. Final tip - buy the best brushes you can afford and look after them.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

JR03  (24-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly?

I'd just make sure it was CLEAN...and then wait for your big major renovation.

That bathroom doesn't look too bad at all, I wouldn't even bother with paint unless it was mouldy...like Busy Bee said - change the blind add some personality with shelving and towels, plants etc.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

JR03  (24-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh - and nice rant Busy Bee !

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (25-06-2014),JR03  (24-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The spray stuff that they use in those Reno shows is basically just a special kind of paint. It was done in our bathtub before we bought our house and 2 years on it looks awful!! There are tiny holes all through it that collect grime so no matter how much its cleaned it still looks dirty. Apparently it shouldn't be used on all surfaces, some aren't suitable for it, so you need someone really experienced and honest to do it. Also its apparently not that cheap! Just cheaper than re-tiling. That's what I've heard anyway

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

16. The Following User Says Thank You to littlelove For This Useful Post:

JR03  (24-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks heaps for the suggestions ladies! We'll be painting the whole house and replacing all the window coverings straight away so we can get rid of those shocking vertical blinds.

The house was built in 1995 so hopefully doesn't contain asbestos but we would be getting pro's in to do a full reno, we're no where near skilled enough to do that!

Based on your advice I won't bother with tile paint or re-grouting - will just have to work hard to save to get the Job professionally done.

Thanks again!