+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Weakened arm - what could be causing this?

Since Thursday my right arm has been feeling really weak, at first I thought maybe I'd slept on it wrong but its continued for too long. My hand is also quite weak and I'm a bit fumble-fingered. i.e. I have trouble texting with it, and holding a pen. Gripping anything too tightly is an issue.
    It's not painful, the sensation is similar to what I would get if I'd been working out really hard and worked the muscles to full fatigue.
    Could it be happening because I've slept wrong on it, or could it be a nerve thing if baby is sitting on something? I'm not overly concerned, it's more annoying :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would definitely get it checked out. It could be nothing, but could also be something more serious potentially (eg neurological).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would ring the nurse on call to be honest. It could be nothing or the first sign of a stroke. Please ring.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I experienced Carpal Tunnel syndrome during one of my pregnancies and had similar symptoms. I've copied and pasted some info from the Mater website.

Carpal tunnel syndrome affects as many as one in three pregnant women.

The symptoms include numbness and/or pins and needles in your fingers and hands; usually first thing in the morning. Although carpal tunnel syndrome is generally quite mild, in some cases it can be so painful that sleep is disturbed and hand movements are severely restricted.

It generally improves within a week or two after your baby's birth.

Signs and Symptoms
    • Tingling or numbness in part of the hand (thumb, index, middle or ring fingers).
    • Sharp pains that shoot from the wrist up the arm.
    • Burning sensations in the fingers.
    • Morning stiffness or cramping of hands.
    • Thumb weakness.
    • Frequently dropping objects.
    • Waking at night with hand pain and/or numbness.
    • Numbness in hand while driving.
    • Unable to open jars.
    • Difficult to shampoo hair/brush teeth.
    • Clumsiness with fine movements such as doing up buttons.

http://brochures.mater.org.au/Home/Brochures/Mater-Mothers-Hospital/Pregnancy-Carpal-tunnel-syndrome

ETA: As previous posters have suggested I would get it checked, to rule out any other potentially more serious causes (I saw my doctor when I first experienced the pins and needles sensation, and he confirmed it was carpal tunnel syndrome)
    Last edited by sky1; 23-06-2014 at 21:17.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sky1 For This Useful Post:

ozeymumof5  (23-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DiG also said carpal tunnel. I would NEVER have thought of it, but the symptoms do fit. I have a GP appointment on Wednesday and will discuss the. As far as the midwives - we're moving interstate and I've already started the transfer of my antenatal care - can I still call the mw here if I need to?