+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How to manage important appointments & a newborn?

Im due in a week & a half now & I was just wondering once the baby is here how long it will be before I can leave bubby with DH & go out if its breastfed? Im planning to try & express but what do I do if I cant?

I really need to continue seeing my psychologist as my anxiety is getting worse again, but I dont think I can take a newborn to an appointment - particularly if its screaming & im getting stressed etc.

I also want to see a psychiatrist about medication but obviously I have the same issue there.

I dont want to leave it too long after baby is born before continuing treatment cause im concerned about affecting the bond with my baby & develping ppd.

Im just trying to figure out if & when I should get a referral to a psychiatrist etc

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can definitely take a newborn with you x I took my DD to all my psych appointments when I was struggling with PND. People understand that a newborn needs to be with their Mum.

My daughter is 9mo and I still take her most places with me... Except work really!

If you do want to leave bub though, I found with both of mine it wasn't that easy until my supply had stabilized and they were in a bit of a routine, so I knew I could duck out for 2 hours and be ok. I always tried to have a decent stash of EBM but it's not always easy.

But if it's taking a newborn with you, don't worry about it. Between my two I have taken them to a wedding, funeral, countless appointments and school functions. I had a stretchy wrap with DD2 which helped because she slept most of the time and I could discretely breastfeed if needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Most therapists will let you bring the baby so you can breastfeed through the appt, etc making it less stressful as you won't worry about them. I know mine did. In the beginning they'll sleep anywhere and all the time so I found it much easier to get out and do things rather than now (19 weeks) when he's on more of a nap routine and won't sleep outside of his cot!

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You can def take bub with you. If it would be easier for you to focus on appointment you could take hubby and he could take bub for a walk and just knock on the door if bub needs a feed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I always took DD to appointments with my psychologist and any other appointments I had. People understand with a newborn, especially professionals who deal with new mums regularly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cool thanks ladies, I'll make a psychologist appointment for a few weeks time then & I'll also get a psychiatrist referral

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Baby goes too

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've taken either or both kids to most things inc doc appts, centrelink, Medicare, weddings, funerals, parties etc. under 6mths they go everywhere with me. Only after starting solids around 7-8mths do I leave them with dad or grandma.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Try wearing bub in a sling or wrap to the appointments, they will more than likely just sleep

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Be careful with the sling - quite a few neonatal deaths have occurred due to those.......
    What is with all the sling bashing going on here atm? It's a bit drastic. If you wear your baby correctly they are 100% safe.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Colbie For This Useful Post:

amyd  (24-06-2014),ArthurDent  (24-06-2014),atomicmama  (24-06-2014),ChickyBee  (24-06-2014),just her chameleon  (24-06-2014),Mopoke  (24-06-2014),Purple Lily  (24-06-2014)