+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Yellowing closer to nature bottles

I noticed the older bottles (3 mths old) are yellow in colour compared to the newer ones. I have no doubt it's the heat from the steam steriliser that's causing the discolouration. Do you think it's necessary to replace these bottles ? I am concerned that the discoloured bottles might be disintegrating and therefore leaching chemicals into the milk. What are your thoughts on this? Should I be concerned? I might direct my concerns to the company if I can find a way to contact them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been using these bottles for 10mths... Some of mine were new and some were hand me downs from mates. The ones from my mates are softer plastic and they have some yellowing however my mates used to put their bottles through their dishwasher. I rinse bottles straight after use, handwash just the bottles and bits as a sink full then sterilise. We are on tank water so I also give the steriliser a good clean once a week too. I haven't had any of the bottles that I bought new yellowing (both the soft and hard plastic types) or teats or the lids.

How do you wash yours?

Try going through their website to contact them: http://www.tommeetippee.com.au

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Que Sera For This Useful Post:

Fina14  (23-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wash the bottles in hot, soapy water then in the electric steam sterilizer. The bottles get sterilized every 24 hrs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is Tommie Tippee a different brand to Closer to nature?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Closer to Nature is what the baby range of products from Tommee Tippee is called. The Explora products are from the same company as well and are the sippy cups, eating etc range.

I haven't had any yellowing issues but I have noticed the teats go sort of smudgey looking after awhile. Aside from being a bit annoyed that they don't look as nice now, I haven't been worried about it.

I would be interested to see the response if you do end up emailing them. I emailed with a question about product availability a few months ago and found the customer support person really helpful, so I think it's worth asking.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bartonia For This Useful Post:

Fina14  (23-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I 've emailed them and will keep you posted on their response.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a quick update on Closer to nature email response to my enquiry about yellowing bottles. I've cut and paste their response as shown below.

'Our Closer to Nature bottles are made from clear Polypropylene. Like any plastic, there is a small chance that staining may occur. The main causes of staining is outlined below-

1. When the plastic has been in contact with strong coloured sauces e.g. tomato or carrot, whilst being washed.
    2. Sterilised using an electric steriliser, which has limescale visible in the heat plate.
    3. Washed in a hard water, where the water can be slightly discoloured.
    4. Sterilised using strong cold water sterilising solution, which can leave bottles with a cloudy appearance.

Once they have become stained there is little that can be done to restore them to their former state, however they are still perfectly safe to use and can be washed and sterilised as normal.'

My bottles have turned yellow because of point no.2. I will need to de-limescale my electric steriliser. Does anyone know if Closer to Nature sells a de-scaling solution?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fina14 For This Useful Post:

Bartonia  (30-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeah ive always used closer to nature and never had this problem

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0151 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Fina14 View Post

My bottles have turned yellow because of point no.2. I will need to de-limescale my electric steriliser. Does anyone know if Closer to Nature sells a de-scaling solution?
    I haven't seen any from them. We have used supermarket brand descale stuff twice in a year. I just use a soft scourer with a tiny bit of detergent then rinse and wipe with paper towel and it seems to keep the limescale and tank water residue at bay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Que Sera View Post
    I haven't seen any from them. We have used supermarket brand descale stuff twice in a year. I just use a soft scourer with a tiny bit of detergent then rinse and wipe with paper towel and it seems to keep the limescale and tank water residue at bay.

I was told by the C to N careline that white vinegar can be used to de-scale. Soak the hot plate of the sterilizer with 250ml for 30 min. Drain, rinse and then on sterilize cycle for 5 min.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Fina14 For This Useful Post:

Que Sera  (02-07-2014)