+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with others, if he was hungry he would wake.

I got told some bad advice that I'm disregarding from my paed. As a mum I think you know your child best and what's good or bad advice. The paed said my 6mo baby needed a "drastic diet overhaul", and that I should limit her to 3 x 150ml feeds a day. She's 10.5kg and 74cm, so a big baby but off the charts by the same amount for birth height and weight. I think putting a 6mo on what is essentially a diet is ridiculous.
    You have the opposite problem. Some people can't accept that not ever baby fits the stereo type mold. Some are big, some are small.

Go with your mummy instinct.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (24-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately Child health Nurses are like all people- you get some great ones and some rubbish ones lol! If bub was losing weight or dropping down percentiles I would see a doc about starting solids early. If as you say they are healthy, plenty of wet/pooey nappies and sleeping well then leave them be! I always say let sleeping babies lie

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CakeyMumma For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (23-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My dd was born on the 10percentile she started to sttn at 4 weeks so I let her all that changed by 4 months when she started waking up between 1-4 times a night to feed. We started solids when she seemed ready around 5 months which she loves and still does. She is now almost 15 months has 2-3 bf a day and eats like a horse she stayed on the 10th percentile though and is only now over 9kg. I have never worried about her weight as it's remained constant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    I agree with others, if he was hungry he would wake.

I got told some bad advice that I'm disregarding from my paed. As a mum I think you know your child best and what's good or bad advice. The paed said my 6mo baby needed a "drastic diet overhaul", and that I should limit her to 3 x 150ml feeds a day. She's 10.5kg and 74cm, so a big baby but off the charts by the same amount for birth height and weight. I think putting a 6mo on what is essentially a diet is ridiculous.
    You have the opposite problem. Some people can't accept that not ever baby fits the stereo type mold. Some are big, some are small.

Go with your mummy instinct.
    3 feeds a day? Solids as well??

BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    There is no way in this world that I would wake a baby who sleeps 10 hrs at night for a feed unless there was something drastically wrong

Remember 15th percentile means 15 out of every 100 babies are smaller than your bub. So, go with the signs
    -happy and content
    -growing
    -lots of wet nappies
    -good overall feeding and appetite

And on your own instincts

As far as solids - again, it's your own instincts. If bulbs is sitting well, lost the gag reflex, hungry and wants or needs solids, then give it a go. Remember that food is for taste and sensation at this age. Bubs gets there nutrition from breast milk, and it provides everything they need.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (23-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like he's doing great! I wouldn't wake a bub for a feed unless they were sick or underweight.

My DD is tiny, on about the 5th percentile and she sleeps 10-11 hours a night, no way would i wake her. She's been doing that since about 3-4 months old. I tried her on solids at 5ish months, but she wasn't interested (despite showing signs of being ready) and didn't start solids properly until 7 months.

He sounds like he's doing great. If he was hungry he'd definitely be waking you up

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (23-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    If he is staying on the same percentile and is content, lots of wet nappies, sleeping well then no way would I bother waking him. With regards to solids I personally would try and wait till as close to 6 months as I could. And I wouldn't bother with farax either.
    exactly this.

Except I'd start solids at 4 months if bub starts waking more or needing more food to sleep well at night, but it doesn't sound like this is an issue for
    your DS.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (23-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it's more of a concern if he's not following his curve on the percentile charts, rather than where he's sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    Let him sleep! She must be crazy!
    Introduce solids when you are ready and bub is ready. Im more shocked she said introduce farax. Do people still use that?
    Yep. Dd2's paed and speechie have both recommended starting her on farex. She does have some for breakfast with purèed fruit.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (23-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    3 feeds a day? Solids as well??
    My DD2 wasn't really swallowing, so it limits solids. I was told to pad her out with water and purée pears and she gave me an "urgent" appointment for a dietician which is in a months time. I asked how I could pad her out when she wouldn't swallow and she said the dietician would work on that.

I questioned her but she seemed to think it wouldn't be a problem. I went to see her because DD was waking every hour and I thought it might be something physical.

As I was leaving she asked if DD was still having day sleeps??? I don't know many 6mo who have dropped their day sleeps!!

I have opted not to follow the advice, except for recommending we swap to goats milk. I think as a mum you know when you're getting bad advice, even from a professional. I walked out if the appointment and cried though.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (23-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Crikey Wise Enough, my sister's exclusively breastfed baby was 11kg at 6mo. I swear she made butter, not milk!!

VP, that kind of 'advice' is the reason my first only saw an mchn 4 times and my second never saw one at all..

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mumat For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (23-06-2014)