+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Advice from clinic nurse

Hi ladies. I'm after your honest opinions on the advice I received at bubs 4 month check with the clinic nurse.

Thanks!

Background:
    - Apart from a brief jump after the 6 week growth spurt, bub has pretty much been consistently on the 15th percentile for weight/length etc. He is a smaller bub than his big brother was.
    - bub had some posseting problems. Has improved over the last couple of months but still has a little chuck most feeds.

Advice from clinic nurse:
    1) "you need to wake bub overnight for a feed. 10 hours is too long to go without a drink."
    2) Nurse: "hopefully you can exclusively breastfeed for 6 months"
    Me: "is that the current recommendation? With my first it was told to start solids between 4 and 6 months."
    Nurse: "that's if bub is ready. If he is holding himself up like he is doing now, watches you eating and doesn't push good out when you put it in his mouth you can start him on Farex."

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If he is staying on the same percentile and is content, lots of wet nappies, sleeping well then no way would I bother waking him. With regards to solids I personally would try and wait till as close to 6 months as I could. And I wouldn't bother with farax either.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

GM01  (23-06-2014),VicPark  (23-06-2014)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi vicpark, I don't know anything about current recommendations, so my answer would be disregard advice number one. if your four month old was hungry im sure he would wakeup. I would consider introducing solids if I felt the baby was interested. I was never told about exclusively bf until 6 mths and I did start solids about 4 mths with all of my children. marie.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (23-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My general thought is that if your baby is eating, growing, developing and generally happy, then you don't need to change anything.

As someone whose nearly 4 yo has only just started having a full night's sleep without waking, I would NEVER wake a baby to feed!! (if there is no medical issue that requires you to do so of course). And as far as I understand the recommendation for solids is between 4 - 6 months if baby is ready, as she said. I personally didn't bother with Farex and went straight to puréed fruits and vegies with my kids.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Electric Boogaloo For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (23-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    VP I was always told not to wake baby for a feed unless they were:
    - Sick
    - Underweight
    Is your baby either?

I am not familiar with percentile charts.

At that age my DS was feeding 3-4 hourly during the day feeding every 3 or so hours in the night.

I would prefer to start baby on solids from 6 months (maybe 5 months), I personally always thought 4 months was too early. Even at 6 months my DS was pushing the food out with his tongue and wasn't really 'ready' until 7+ months.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (23-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    1) If he is sleeping through, leave him. He would wake if he was hungry. If you're worried, try and fit in another feed during the day.

2) Start him on solids when you feel he's ready :-)

Sounds bit like DS2 - he started off on the 50th percentile and had dropped below the 25th by three months. He had reflux and was on medication which controlled his vomiting. He also started sleeping 7-7 at 12 weeks, so I was wondering if I should have been waking him overnight to feed, but my feeling was that he wouldn't sleep if he was hungry. I just tried to fit in as many feeds as possible during the day.

I started him on solids at four months (farex) and by five months he was happy going down the BLW path. Now he's a mix of purees/mashes and BLW (9.5 months).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (23-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Thanks ladies. Bub has plenty of wet nappies and although isn't a big bub he looks healthy (has rolls on arms and legs etc) and is mostly consistent with the growth chart percentile.

I was a bit taken back when the midwife said to wake bub during the night for a feed as 10 hours was too long without one. I never heard of this before unless a bub is sick/underweight.

I was really looking forward to having an intelligible conversation with the nurse about starting solids (ds1 started at 4 months as he was huge... I am thinking ds2 won't be ready until at least 5 months). The nurse sort of lost me when she said she hoped I could exclusively breastfeed for 6 months..then agreed that the current recommendation is 4-6 months depending on when bub is ready. Then when she said I should start on Farex I tuned out and decided to go to my GP for the next development check.

I didn't know whether or not I was being overly picky....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Screw waking him!

I mean, I agree with the very wise advice you have received about wet nappies and consistent growth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey VP I have many many sleep books lol and they ALL say bubs don't need feeding overnight at 4 months unless there's a medical issue. Enjoy your sleep

As for starting solids, that's completely up to you and your mummy judgement. Everyone tells you different things

Eta: my opinion on clinic nurses is quite low
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 23-06-2014 at 15:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Let him sleep! She must be crazy!
    Introduce solids when you are ready and bub is ready. Im more shocked she said introduce farax. Do people still use that?