+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Help! Advice wanted please??!!

Aaarrrrggghhh! HELP!

Having a shocker. DD gone from sleeping 7pm to around 2am ish (even did 7pm - 3.45am one night) and is now back to last night feeding every 3 hours. She won't settle in her bed for the last couple of days either. I hold her til she is asleep and then manage to transition her to bed fine and then she wakes up about 5 mins later. Think the most she has done today in her bed is 30 mins, and I have a 2yo DS so can't spend the whole day holding her.

Anyone got any ideas or advice?? She is 9 weeks old on Wednesday.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

they go through a lot of different phases.

Is she just starting to move ? be aware of surrounding things? Sometimes when they start to be more aware of everything they find it a bit harder to settle, and they wake themselves up when they would previously have re-settled.

Maybe she is having a little growth spurt also? Is she extra hungry?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Subbing. My DS is 11 weeks now and I've been having the same problem for weeks now. He WAS sleeping till 2am also but has now reverted to feeding every 3 hours. I also cannot get him off me for naps. As soon as I put him down, he is awake in around 5 minutes. So unfortunately I have no advice just buckets of sympathy. I did however, go to see my GP last week and get a referral to Karitane. I know the toll on me has been huge and I imagine it would be even bigger on you as you have a toddler also. Would getting a referral to a sleep school near you be an option? Fingers crossed you find your solution soon.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HeavenBlue For This Useful Post:

bedlover  (23-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its normal so try not to stress. Can you baby wear during the day?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlover View Post
    Aaarrrrggghhh! HELP!

Having a shocker. DD gone from sleeping 7pm to around 2am ish (even did 7pm - 3.45am one night) and is now back to last night feeding every 3 hours. She won't settle in her bed for the last couple of days either. I hold her til she is asleep and then manage to transition her to bed fine and then she wakes up about 5 mins later. Think the most she has done today in her bed is 30 mins, and I have a 2yo DS so can't spend the whole day holding her.

Anyone got any ideas or advice?? She is 9 weeks old on Wednesday.

For the next 12 months, and even years , expects lots of changes to your babies sleep / feed routine.
    Just when you think they are dropping a feed, self settling, sleeping longer, shorter etc, they change!!
    It's very normal.
    My advice would be to go with the flow and only worry if something seems really wrong (baby won't settle like normal, seems really distressed etc)

(EDIT: Oh I just read about not staying asleep once put down, um...I think this age is too young to be used to the arms, if holding is not an option (due to looking after 2yr old), I would try rocking her around in the pram or wearing a sling).

Good luck!
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 23-06-2014 at 14:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    According to my baby development chart that I received from my last early childhood clinic visit, weeks 8-9 are 'stormy period' when babies tend to be more unsettled and/or feeding more frequently. Oh dear, just realized I have a rough patch ahead, weeks 15-19 are in the stormy period. This chart seems to be spot on for my daughter so bad news for me. If it's any consolation, weeks 10-11 are sunny weeks where bub will revert to being compliant again. So be patient and ride it out. There's not much you can do to change bub's developmental behaviour.

For anyone interested, the chart is from the book ' Why they cry:understanding child development by Van de Rijt, H & , F (1996). Thorsons, London

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fina14 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (24-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    9 Weeks is smack bang in the middle of the patterns leap according to wonder weeks. It's tough but like PP have said, just as you get them settled they can completly switch overnight. So exhausting

My DD needed to be held all the time, even now at 9months she is a cuddler as soon as she's upset.
    Do you have a wrap/sling/carrier? They are life savers for getting through the day! Plus sometimes just being close to Mum encourages a good sleep. My DD is going through a leap at the moment and is sooo clingy and won't nap during the day for longer than 30 minutes, but yesterday I had a heap to do so put her into the ergo and she slept for 2 hours on my chest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for the advice ladies. I will give the baby carrier a go tomorrow.

I have started feeding her both sides from this afternoon as well in case she was hungry - she is taking both sides so maybe that was the problem. Although she is throwing up more too now - like she is overflowing so I am pretty sure she isn't hungry anymore.

I have also changed wraps. Moved from love to dream to the ergo cocoon as she seemed to be knocking the dummy out of her mouth a lot.

Fingers crossed some of this helps. I am dreading what tonight has in store. I just feel like such a failure - millions of people have 2 or more kids and make it work and meanwhile we all spent all day in our pjs with the little one not sleeping all day and DS pretty much left to his own devices

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bedlover don't feel like a failure at all xx I spent the first 12 weeks of my DD2s life feeding/expressing/rocking/cuddling and nothing else. I lived in my pjs and relied on DH to look after DD1, the house was a mess and I can count the number of meals I cooked on one hand