+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Showing at 6 weeks - how early is too early?

Hi ladies - please let me preface this thread by saying that I do (at 41yo) understand ‘bloat’. The fact is, I am showing. The purpose of this thread is really more to get your advice/views on announcing a pregnancy earlier than the accepted 12 weeks.

I’m currently 7 weeks P5DET and have my BFP. This is my 4th IVF cycle since my son was born with IVF help in 2012. I have moderate endometriosis and advanced adenomyosis. The latter condition means I have, as my FS puts it, ‘a very ugly uterus’, and one that is big even without babies in it.

At this point, when I lie flat on my back I can feel my uterus in my tummy, from just under my belly-button to just above my pubic bone. I can actually cup my hands around it. When standing, I look like everyone should definitely know by now.

Now obviously, I still have a very long way to go, especially when I remember that I have lost babies further along than this little one. However, how do I hide this? I feel like we’re all just ignoring the growing elephant in the room.

My question is, what are your thoughts on announcing your pregnancy early? If so, when is ok? How do you think today’s society handles it when things go wrong then? Is that the only reason we don't tell people <12wks?

I’d also love to know if anyone else (with adenomyosis or without) has genuinely showed this early?

Thank you lovelies.

Sedg 41 (endometriosis, adenomyosis), husband 32 (perfect)
    1st IVF cycle, 12/11: 2 trans, 4 frozen – our beautiful son born 08/12
    1 natural pregnancy, 09/13: m/c at 9 weeks
    1 FET, 04/14: 4 defrosted, 2 trans, BFN
    3 ET, 06/14: BFP

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sorry to jump in on an IVF thread as I have not undergone fertility treatment and am not familiar with your conditions. However I just wanted to say that I think it is completely fine to let people know about your pregnancy. I told select family and friends at 5 weeks, then more family at 8 weeks, then everyone else at 12 weeks. The people I told early on, I just prefaced it with "I'm still VERY early" just so people had the understanding that anything could happen. As long as you're comfortable letting people know if things don't go well, I say tell who you want. I told the people who I told because if something bad happened, I wanted them to support me.

ETA - congratulations by the way! Hope this one stick around :-)
    Last edited by JR03; 23-06-2014 at 13:09.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Sedgaroo  (01-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you are comfortable with people knowing then tell them, just remember that someone is likely to spread the word.

Would it give you peace of mind waiting until after your scan? Assuming you're having one in the next week.

We didn't tell family (including parents) until 13 weeks but next time I will be more comfortable sharing our news earlier.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

Sedgaroo  (01-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am 10 weeks with my second, a size 6 and showing, but not enough for people to know without a shadow of a doubt. We are still waiting until our nuchal scan at 13 weeks, I am just wearing looser tops for now. If you are comfortable to let people know the outcome should something go wrong between now & your 12 week scan then I see no problem with it

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ChelleBH For This Useful Post:

Sedgaroo  (01-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't do Ivf so I hope it's ok for me to post..

I popped at 6 weeks - I looked 12 weeks. By 12 weeks I looked 6 mths.

I had no choice but to tell people because otherwise people would have guessed and asked.

I ended up telling work at 9 weeks, to which my general manager replied 'we kinda guessed'.

There's nothing wrong with announcing early. I was really concerned about telling people too because if the 'what if' before 12 weeks. But it was obvious and there was no hiding it.

What ever you decide I hope this one sticks! Good luck xo

9. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Sedgaroo  (01-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was IVF and bloated so much nothing fit me anymore. I had to wear loose dresses.

Personally I would wait till after you had seen the heart beat. It would suck so much to have to tell everyone if something happened.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Sedgaroo  (01-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it depends on how you'd feel about people knowing if things went wrong.
    We told everybody after our 8w scan. We'd been doing ivf for 4 years and this was our first ever bfp. We were over the moon, and after so many years most people knew we were undergoing treatments. Also it was Christmas time and we'd prefer share the news than having people guessing as we wanted to share the joy! We are now 34weeks and and it seems like the longest pregnancy ever for people as they've known for so long!
    All the best for your pregnancy.
    Bloating sucks but showing is awesome!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillaa For This Useful Post:

Sedgaroo  (01-07-2014)