+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What was you GD diet?

Hi all. My Dp Was diagnosed last week with GD at only 5+5weeks. It is partly steroid induced, and partly as she was NIDDM prior to pregnancy. Now she is on insulin, but her sugars are confusing us to no end. When she eats, her sugars go down. But her pre-meal levels are always high! We have been advised by the obstetrician to eliminate all starchy carbs and fruit until her sugars are under control and within anticipated ranges.
    What were your sugars like? High before meals, but lower after meals? What diet or eating plan did you follow?
    Could we crazy readings be because she isn't having starchy carbs?
    We have an appointment with the endocrinologist this week, and he has been managing her dosages via email every 24hrs as he was away on conference this last week.
    Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't know a lot but I had gd. I just followed the 45grams of carbs rule for meals and 15grams for 3 snacks a day. My bgls were 3.5-5 and before meals and 4-5 mmol after meals. I didn't have to do them before meals anyway. But in the morning it was always 4-4.5mmol
    The 2 hours start from the beginning of meal not the end and I only spent 10 minutes eating. With nothing inbetween of course
    Hopefully someone else here can help you
    Last edited by Kazza78; 23-06-2014 at 09:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Kazza.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @catemer, I posted a response to you in the other thread too. Although I forgot to say in that one it's possible that she needs a long acting insulin as well as fast acting.

I have NovoRapid at the start of my main meals, which works about 10 minutes after you take it, peaks at 1-2 hours and then is completely gone after 2.5 hours. I take Levemir at bedtime, which starts working within about 2 hours and provides a level dose of insulin for 22-24 hours. The long acting one has worked to keep my fasting level and baseline level down, with the NovoRapid added in to lower the post-meal levels.

Below is what my daily food looks like...

Breakfast: 1 slice wholegrain toast with eggs + 1 tub (100g) yoghurt OR 2 slices toast with cheese/tomato/spinach = just over 2 serves

Lunch: meat/tuna w salad including four bean mix/chickpeas/corn, 1 cup of milk OR sandwich with meat and salad OR basic stir-fry (meat/veggies) with basmati rice = just over 2 serves

Dinner: many variations but should include potato, rice, pasta, corn, legumes (chickpeas, lentils, etc), etc to get your carb serves.

Snacks: 1 piece of fruit and 3 shredded wheat biscuits OR fruit smoothie using 2 pieces of fruit OR 1 tub of yoghurt OR 1 slice toast OR 1 cup milk/Milo = 1 to 2 serves
    (I have a mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack as well as something small just before bed so my insulin levels stay stable overnight)

I don't drink soft drink or fruit juices, just water or mineral water. I have 1 cup of tea a day with just a small amount of milk (1 cup milk = 1 serve of carbs).

Be wary of things like honey (1 tbs = 1.39 serves of carbs). I also found that canned baked beans have way too much sugar in them and push my blood sugar through the roof.

This also might help with what to eat:
    http://www.diabetesqld.org.au/media/...estational.pdf
    Everyone is different and the way their bodies process sugar is going to be different. I really recommend seeing a dietician. Your endocrinologist will probably suggest that too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat74 For This Useful Post:

catemer  (23-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @Cat74. Dp is on Novorapid before each meal and Protaphane before bed. We have been emailing the endocrinologist her results on a daily basis and he has been tweaking dosages. She is now up to NR: 16/14/14 and PT: 36U

We are also trying for a dietician appointment this week.