+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    If it looks like a duck.. Walks like a duck..
    Lol!

Reminds me of a saying about when one might assume... Something about making an *** out of....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    And is OP watching the dog the 24 hours a day as well?

My sister has to tie her dog up for 10 hours a day whilst she's at work, because he's currently eating his way through the wooden fence. He gets taken for walks everyday, sometimes early mornings before the sun is up and sometimes late evenings after dinner, but it could easily appear to the neighbours that her dog is tied up all the time....
    Pretty sure I said in my next post that I didn't think she was staring at it all day- and OP has since clarified she is a SAHM etc so has a pretty good idea of what's going on.
    And I'm with VP- new fence time for your sister!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Good on you OP for taking action. Hope there is a positive outcome for the doggy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    New fences aren't something that can be done the next day! Plus they weren't expecting that the new dog would be able to chew their way through a wooden fence.
    Of course, I didn't mean that, just that it's time to organise one.
    Last edited by Bunty; 24-06-2014 at 08:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Poor dog. There's no harm in asking the authorities to check it out. If all checks out okay then it won't be an issue, if it doesn't then the dog gets out of a horrible situation.
    On a side note, our dog gets tied up when we're all out, because if we don't he jumps the fence. We can't afford to get new fences yet, and we've tried to raise the height of our fences but he just saw it an extra challenge. Unfortunately we will have to tie him up more often because now he knows that being tied up = us leaving and he is becoming quite vocal in distress when we all leave him (there is someone home 90% of the time) so we need to eliminate the 'triggers' that we are going, and one of those is to tie him up when we are at home. However, he has adequate shade and sun, bedding, bones, food and water when tied up, and he gets a run every single morning, plus a walk most days, and after dinner he is inside to sleep for the night. If one of my neighbour's put in a complaint I would happily reassure council/RSPCA that my dog is not neglected at all and am confident nothing would come of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    New fences aren't something that can be done the next day! Plus they weren't expecting that the new dog would be able to chew their way through a wooden fence.
    Can I ask then how long the situation has been going on for?

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lilyloubelle View Post
    Yes I can read bunty and was replying to the original poster...and I stand by my comment that you can't possibly say it's never been off....especially in that it's been 2 weeks only and the fence is not secure .... If it's a medium size pup even a temporary fence may not contain it... Just saying.

Don't get me wrong I'm a dog person.... My dogs get walked daily, are inside dogs etc... They probably get treated better than some people's offspring. I just would want to give these people the benefit of the doubt in that the fence is not secure...... My neighbours had problems with fences for ages and their dog was continually getting out...I used to secure him in my yard till they got home..... So I could understand if they had to tie him up so he didn't get hit by a car...this would be better than the dog being hit by a car ....if the dog is bring fed, has shelter and clean water .... ... Some people have no other option at first than to tie up the dog for its only safety.
    I agree that there could be something else going on. They may have a child who is fearful of this dog and are trying to find a better solution, they may be needing to keep this dog away from another animal for a period of time, they may be taking the dog off for a walk etc when you are not seeing. I got a dog that was being given away, brought him home to my house where my other medium to large dog was adequately enclosed by my existing fence, but this new, smaller dog just bounced over it like it wasn't even there so there was a number of weeks where I had to tie him up while I was at work or out, and have to put him on a lead to go for a wee before bed, so I may have looked very much like a deadbeat owner but I really just got caught out. BTW, my freebie dog ended up costing a bomb to keep in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It really is a tough situation. Especially in a rental. Its not as easy as telling them to fix the fence as it is up to the owners and some owners are incredibly slack. And it is easy to say that they shouldn't rent a place without a proper fence but sometimes beggars cant be choosers and with the rental market so competitive in most places and so much discrimination against families with kids and/or pets you often have to take what you are given or be homeless.

When moving it can take two weeks just to unpack and sort the house out especially with children and sadly walking the dog could easily fall down the list.

I agree that it is horrible and I despise the thought of tying dogs up but maybe they are just really struggling with a horrible move and don't have the resources to dog proof their fence and are having a hard time getting the owners to fix it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A very encouraging update: the dog next door was actually OFF his tether this afternoon! For about half an hour but still, it was so good to see. I have no idea if that's because of a visit from the council or not, but it doesn't matter. The dog got a break. There's hope!

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to debsch For This Useful Post:

Bunty  (25-06-2014),Full House  (25-06-2014),MilkingMaid  (26-06-2014),Purple Lily  (25-06-2014),VicPark  (25-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    That's a tiny bit of good news!