+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    There is always at least three sides to every story.....

No one can say for certain what happens 24/7. If it is a rental, and the dog spends some time inside.... It would be highly unlikely they would admit that to an agent. Without 24/7 observation or speaking to the owners no one will really know whether it gets walked at odd hours or not. It may not be a nice situation, but that may be the owners only option and it may only be a temporary one... Let the authorities assess that. They will also be able to make the judgement over whether the dog is distressed or not.

If OP feels strongly about it then she can make the relevant phone calls.

When we bought our current rural acreage we had to keep our dogs at boarding kennels for a month until we had completely redone the farm fencing. I know the kennels only let them out for a run a couple of times a day and I am sure that our dogs would have been very ticked off at being locked up. When we finally got them home we still had to confine them to their kennels we had built when we weren't outside with them or they weren't inside with us as they had never been around cattle or sheep (the neighbours) before. If they had become too boisterous and interested in the livestock and escaped to harass the livestock then I would have no doubt they would have been shot by a farmer. At that time, my dogs had a similar amount of 'freedom' to what is described in the original post here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So I rang our local animal refuge this morning. They were sympathetic and helpful, mentioning as @Jmeleem said that legally the dog needs to be "exercised" for at least one hour/day, and they said that they thought local council insisted on a properly fenced yard for a dog. They weren't sure how helpful our council would be as the case would be seen as neglect not cruelty or nuisance, so not top priority. Anyway, after ringing them I rang the council. Didn't get to speak to any pet/animal control people but left a message with someone who said that they would pass it on. Let's hope so.

And thanks for the replies and interest and for posters asking for follow up. You got me motivated this morning to actually ring someone about the dog which I have been meaning to do for a while now.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debsch For This Useful Post:

Bunty  (23-06-2014),HillDweller  (23-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Call the rspca....I called them about four dogs next door locked up in fully enclosed kennels allday and night in the heat of summer in the sun....the dogs are now rehomed. The rspca was great and acted promptly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoCo View Post
    I don't care. When an animal is concerned I WILL REPORT!!

In the past I have left notes and I have reported. Let the council or RSPCA decide.

I don't take chances when a little innocent life is at stake. If you are wrong then so be if you were wrong nothing gained nothing lost!

I'm so sick and tired of people getting dogs and then treating them like crap!

Not a dog person don't get a dam dog!

ETA and fencing is not an excuse! There is always a way to make the dog feel more comfortable!! As mentioned in pps
    Totally agree with this post.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Que Sera View Post
    There is always at least three sides to every story.....
    If it looks like a duck.. Walks like a duck..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    And is OP watching the dog the 24 hours a day as well?

My sister has to tie her dog up for 10 hours a day whilst she's at work, because he's currently eating his way through the wooden fence. He gets taken for walks everyday, sometimes early mornings before the sun is up and sometimes late evenings after dinner, but it could easily appear to the neighbours that her dog is tied up all the time....
    Not 24 hours but we're up 6am to 10pm-ish and can see the dog from the kitchen which I'm in pretty much all day if I'm home, and as a "stay at home mum" I'm home a lot. Plus, the neighbours don't work, or don't work away from home because their cars are parked outside most of the day and night.

I'm one for giving people the benefit of the doubt. I know that things aren't always what they might seem to be, just as you've described. I'd love to think that they take it for midnight strolls and for a run in the park at night but unfortunately it doesn't look like it.
    Last edited by debsch; 23-06-2014 at 15:00.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debsch For This Useful Post:

Bunty  (23-06-2014),VicPark  (23-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    And is OP watching the dog the 24 hours a day as well?

My sister has to tie her dog up for 10 hours a day whilst she's at work, because he's currently eating his way through the wooden fence. He gets taken for walks everyday, sometimes early mornings before the sun is up and sometimes late evenings after dinner, but it could easily appear to the neighbours that her dog is tied up all the time....
    I vote for getting a new fence over tethering it up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by debsch View Post
    So I rang our local animal refuge this morning. They were sympathetic and helpful, mentioning as @Jmeleem said that legally the dog needs to be "exercised" for at least one hour/day, and they said that they thought local council insisted on a properly fenced yard for a dog. They weren't sure how helpful our council would be as the case would be seen as neglect not cruelty or nuisance, so not top priority. Anyway, after ringing them I rang the council. Didn't get to speak to any pet/animal control people but left a message with someone who said that they would pass it on. Let's hope so.

And thanks for the replies and interest and for posters asking for follow up. You got me motivated this morning to actually ring someone about the dog which I have been meaning to do for a while now.
    Good luck. If you don't get any progress from the council/RSPCA you could always bluff the owners. Leave them a note (anonymous if you like) saying you are concerned about the dog and will give them 2 weeks to fix the fence/untether the dog before you Dob them in to the authorities.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My neighbours possibly think i don't walk my dogs as I do it after work at midnight. I have a very protective cattledog so midnight is the best time for us.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ozeymumof5 For This Useful Post:

debsch  (23-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by debsch View Post

Good on you for making the call.

If you get to speak to any council rangers, I strongly reccommend that you tell them the exact situation from your perspective and not exaggerate any observations. The last thing you want to be known as would be as a vexatious complainant.... Then any future complaints from you would go straight to the bottom of the pile, guaranteed. You may or may not need to speak to them in the future if the situation escalates or if you end up with worse tennants/neighbours next time and need their prompt attention. Anonymous notes would just jack up your neighbours, you don't need that especially if you don't know what kind of people your new neighbours are.